1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Video is coming up as private?

·
Registered
852 Posts
I did not watch the whole thing but you were apexing nice and seemed to keep your exit speeds high..........as you adjusted your turn-ins and tightened your entries, did you get higher speeds especially on the straight away? How about your lap times start lap and finish lap?

Finally how did you insure your car as that is the one reason I will not take mine to the track...................

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, video should be public now.

This is my wife's car, so I was just out goofing around. I didn't bother tracking acceleration or lap times. I suppose all the info is there if I wanted to extract it though. I did see 135 on the speedo a few times going into the first turn. It looks like GPS is saying 130, which is probably closer.

Things I noted though:
The weakest link in the car is the brakes. This really surprised me because it seems like it uses very high quality components. They would overheat very quickly, and took what seemed like an eternity to come back. I'm not used to driving big cars though, so I don't have anything relevant to compare too. Maybe I was just asking too much of them.

The base suspension is under damped for aggressive driving. The front in particular wallows somewhat on the turns with elevation changes. This is probably to be expected. The car pushes more than I would have liked. I only noticed the stability control on one severely botched corner. If it was helping me anywhere else, I was unaware of it. I bet sport/skyhook suspension would be been a huge improvement.

The engine/transmission performed flawlessly. This is a fairly power hungry track and the car hardly felt like it was breaking a sweat all day. I suspect that there is a lot of untapped potential in this motor that is being saved for later models. I left it in auto/sport the entire time, as it always seemed to be in about the right gear for conservatively fast driving. I could have wrung it out in manual mode, but I doubt I would have been significantly faster.

I did not insure it. This is a safe track that I know very well, and the Ghibli is an incredibly easy car to drive. I feel the cost/benefit is in my favor to take the risk.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Great video - thanks for sharing!

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
Looks like a fun day - thanks for posting

DD

·
Registered
863 Posts
Same questions, also adding to it, where is this track and how much did you paid for the laps or time there on the track... ??

Great driving! Looks like fun(which ghibli Model?)
How did you record:
1) the camera?
2) the GPS bit?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
S Q4 on 19" P-Zeros.

I used this camera:
Contour - Contour+2

I used this software to overlay the gauges. It's not required though, as the camera comes with its own viewer, or you can just read the video files straight off the sdcard.
DashWare - Telemetry Data Overlay on Your Videos

The whole setup is really easy to operate.

Track time was $400, but if you run with larger groups, $300 is typical. Also account for as much tires/brakes you feel compelled to use, and about 10 gallons/hour for fuel. You can waste a set of P-zeros and front pads in a day, if you're enthusiastic enough (err...so I'm told).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts