Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given the size and heft of our key fobs and the likelihood that they can be dropped and damaged, has anyone attempted to ascertain the cost of a replacement? No doubt they are super expensive.

I'm thinking of plasti dipping my fob in order to add an extra layer of protection. Welcome responses. Cheers, Scott

·
Administrator
2,387 Posts
I've seen protective covers for the keyfob but that just makes them bulkier and look ugly. These 2014 replacements have been going for $200-300 on eBay when available, (salvage or safety test vehicle), than you have to get the dealer to program the set to your car. Anticipate dealer cost would be higher. A little keyfob for my daughters Infiniti G was $175 (paid by warranty)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Key Fob Protection

Given the rather high cost of the Etsy advertised fob case, I believe plasti-coat is a inexpensive and effective alternative. I'm going to visit a local plasti-coat shop and have mine coated -- also doing same for my Apple laptop. Once done, I'll take pics and provide my feedback.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Direct from the dealer, they can be upwards of $800 programmed. I live in Canada mind you, however I don't imagine they are that much less in the US.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Given the size and heft of our key fobs and the likelihood that they can be dropped and damaged, has anyone attempted to ascertain the cost of a replacement? No doubt they are super expensive.

I'm thinking of plasti dipping my fob in order to add an extra layer of protection. Welcome responses. Cheers, Scott
Independent of the cost of replacement, I do find myself wondering why*it has to be so big. My wife hates here because it takes up half her purse. It is large just for our egos or is there actually a mechanical purpose for the size? Anybody know?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Three possible reasons for the key size:
1) There is a small Itaian in there with a cell phone who calls the factory when you want to start the car,

Or

2) Like McIntosh Amplifiers, they use tubes instead of solid state components.

Or

3) The fob is actually the subwoofer.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I recall that at the dealer when I picked up my car they offered key fob insurance for around $500.

So I just procured my own insurance. It's called a lock box and I put the spare key fob in that box in a safe place in my house. The box was free as it was lying around the house and now serves as my key fob insurance box......:D

Steve

·
Registered
54 Posts
Three possible reasons for the key size:
1) There is a small Itaian in there with a cell phone who calls the factory when you want to start the car,

Or

2) Like McIntosh Amplifiers, they use tubes instead of solid state components.

Or

3) The fob is actually the subwoofer.
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Presume a Tailored Fob Sleeve Will Come

I've looked about and nothing seems to be a perfect blend of protection without adding bulk. I'll wait and see what is forthcoming.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Given the rather high cost of the Etsy advertised fob case, I believe plasti-coat is a inexpensive and effective alternative. I'm going to visit a local plasti-coat shop and have mine coated -- also doing same for my Apple laptop. Once done, I'll take pics and provide my feedback.
Did you ever get this done?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Ive dropped my Key around 3 times. each time on concrete (trouble unlocking door with to much in my hands) besides some scuff marks it works fine. At least its not like those keys from aston martin with the jewel on it. if you drop those they crack haha.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Ive dropped my Key around 3 times. each time on concrete (trouble unlocking door with to much in my hands) besides some scuff marks it works fine. At least its not like those keys from aston martin with the jewel on it. if you drop those they crack haha.
You have an Aston Martin too? Wow! So what's next mate- Lambo or Ferrari for your 21st b'day. Cheers.

·
Registered
151 Posts
You have an Aston Martin too? Wow! So what's next mate- Lambo or Ferrari for your 21st b'day. Cheers.
No, i wish but i've driven one at Festivals of speed and considered purchasing one of those crazy depreciated V8 vantages that are under 100k but i got a Ghibli. I find aston keys pretty interesting. I may or may not be getting some exotics in the near future ;)

Attachments

Reactions: Mangirek

·
Registered
123 Posts
What are you guys doing that you are dropping your keys???

You do realize the car has keyless entry and start, right?

Almost no reason to take key out of your pocket.

Or you could coat it in Stickum...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Key Fob

When I lost my spare, I either had to shell out ~$1000 or risk paying for a tow and an extra ~$2,000 for security re-configuring if I lost or damaged the one I had left. Thank God, I found, at least a temporary solution: I went to Walmart and picked up a leather change/credit card holder, you know those that are carried in purses. It is 4X 3 inches, is made with generous amounts of black leather and is closed with a secure zipper. Now ny fob is both harder to lose and break and fits in my front pocket very well.

·
Registered
76 Posts
another question on the key fob:
I haven't been driving the car much lately during the winter (as I don't have winter tires) but took it out again as there isn't much winter in Chicago
the key fob acts up in terms of (un)locking the car; it sometimes works, it sometimes doesn't...

has anyone experienced a similar issue?
is it just the battery and has anybody been replacing it (self or dealer)?
how long should this last? I would have expected more than 3 years of occasional usage...

have seen a youtube video changing the battery but don't know if I want to screw around with that key...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts