Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, newbie here. I live and work in Silicon Valley, Porsches, BMWs and Mercedes are a dime a dozen here. I want a car that will stand out a bit; for many years I've liked the Lotus Evora; sporty, fun to drive, and the +2 seats for the kids. In my mind Maserati's were beautiful cars, but out of range. Imagine my surprise when I opened autoblog last week to find a) The Maserati Ghibli excelled in the crash testing and b) it was priced in range.

I emailed Stevens Creek Maserati and asked if I could schedule a test drive. Kamal Massoudi handled my email requests, we scheduled a time for the RWD Ghibli. Black on Nero/Cuoio interior. Beautiful car. Comfortable inside, like a glove. Has creature comforts, but not overwhelming like the recent Porsches. The brakes were sensitive to me, but I picked up the correct modulation quickly enough. The brakes did have a squeal, Kamal joked 'Well, its a Maserati'. That went away after a good hard stop. Sport mode off, you hear the motor, but its not intrusive. Sport mode on, yes, there is something special going on. Acceleration is excellent, merging w/ onto the 280 highway was a breeze. Get off on Wolfe, suspension deals w/ the lousy cracked pavement without issue. Go down Pruneridge Ave. with its curves and really open it up, the Ghibli roars quickly to 90mph before I lift off throttle, wow! Tone it down, do some quick lane changes to see how it deals - it is a heavy car, but well poised, it doesn't feel like an older Mercedes boat when changing lanes quickly. Steering feel is good, communicates what the car intends to do, if that makes sense.

Returning to the dealership we toyed with the rest of the creature comforts; audio is nice, Sting plays clear through the speakers. Touchscreen is easy enough to control car functions. Center dash is Mercedes like in the data views (Speed, TPMS, etc.)

So to be honest, its not a Lotus Evora in terms of driving sensation - not a fair comparison, I know; but it is much more of a daily driver, and still has a bit of panache to it.

I like it. I'm curious to find out how much more the SQ4 has, and I'm curious how the car will deal with going to Laguna Seca or Thunderhill for some high performance driving track days.

Hope you have a great weekend!
Regards,
Indy

·
Registered
277 Posts
The Ghibli def wont drive like the Evora

But it will very likely be more comfortable and easier to drive.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Right, the Ghibli will have a more mature and conservative image than the Evora. It'll also be less RAW in terms of its driving dynamics.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ghibli is definitely more comfortable and 'mature' for whatever that really means. For what its worth, the Evora didn't give me the impression of being raw on the driving dynamics. I want to say the demo Evora I drove actually seemed lighter on the steering that the Ghibli did, possibly due to the difference in weight?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts