Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have been having this issue with my 2015 Ghibli where I would drive it for a bit then park and get out for a few minutes. But when I get back into the car, it wont start up again so I'll have to wait until the engine cools down before it actually starts up. I was wondering if anyone was having this same issue or knows what it may be. Thank you

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is as if the battery doesn't work. It cranks once but then stops but when the engine temperature drops, it starts up normally again. I have had the battery checked twice and there is no problems. I cannot even use the start/stop as this makes the car not turn back on at red lights.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes, most of the cars you don't understand work hard in cold weather, but I don't understand when mine is hot

·
Registered
182 Posts
What region are you in? Petro, diesel? I didn't think US models had start/stop until '16, but I could be wrong.

I'd second it sounding like a starter issue. Doesn't sound like a fuel vapor issue if it won't even crank. How long does it crank for before stopping? half second, two seconds? How does it sound when it does try to turn over, does it sound slow like it would if it was -20 below outside, or does it sound normal and just suddenly stop suddenly like the ecu is cutting it off?

Also, how hot does the engine need to get to reveal this issue, and does it need to cool way down or just for 15-20 minutes?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know now I have changed the battery. But when I plug in, it doesn't show anything. it only happens when the engine is hot, it starts again when it cools

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am in London, it turns 1 turn and then it looks like the battery is dead. But the lights on the instrument panel do not go out. The lights go out if the battery is exhausted. The temperature is normal but it works normally after 15 or 20 minutes. By the way, diesel

·
Registered
182 Posts
So it doesn't even try to crank for a half second? No clue what our starters are supposed to crank our engines at (and your diesel could be different) , but I would venture to guess it's around 150 RPM with a good battery and above freezing temps. So if you're barely getting one turn before it dies, it sounds like your starter could be the issue. A fuel issue would probably have different symptoms and likely not rectify itself after just 15 minutes of cooling down.

Since you've replaced the battery, it might be worth grabbing a friend and testing the voltage drop on the starter when it tries to crank. If the voltage drops off a cliff, then it's likely a connection issue either at the starter or somewhere between it and the battery. Your battery terminals should be pretty clean since our batteries are in the trunk, so I'd look at the starter first.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok thanks i am trying this now because i am changing battery and 2 time given same problem maybe starting motor

·
Registered
36 Posts
You might want to fully charge the battery. If it's not charging, it might be charging system fault.

i don't know ghibli system too well, but if there's a relay, it could be a bad relay or trigger connections. Check all relevant grounds, connectors etc with contact cleaners/enhancers ie deoxit, to ensure it's not a bad connection before replacing starter.

Long ago with a different car, i ran into similar problem when it wouldn't crack intermittently though a clicking noise was observed. I went thru all grounds, relay connections, fuseboxes, and cleaned every electric connectors I could find. It didn't help at time. It was getting dark so I left it sitting overnight. To my surprise it cranked right up on the first try in the morning and it continued to crank for the next 10+ years before I let go the car. The starter never missed a beat.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts