Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my Ghibli to the dealer because I heard a clicking when I accelerate and they are saying I threw a Rod and I need a new engine that they will not pay for. The oil and pressure has been fine, no check engine lights and no real changes with the driving. I have been driving with the clicking for about two weeks. I've only had the car for 3 months. Several ppl have said they are not diagnosing it correctly. Has anyone else had this issue? The dealership will not fix it because I don't have oil change receipts from the previous owner. Can't believe this experience. My car has been sitting there for a month. Any insight in this matter is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If it's a subtle ticking noise coming from the center part when you apply the throttle, it's probably the high pressure oil pump or something of that sort. Lots of people have the same problem on this forum and it is what it is. If you threw a rod I suspect your engine wouldn't even run with massive check engine lights.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I took my Ghibli to the dealer because I heard a clicking when I accelerate and they are saying I threw a Rod and I need a new engine that they will not pay for. The oil and pressure has been fine, no check engine lights and no real changes with the driving. I have been driving with the clicking for about two weeks. I've only had the car for 3 months. Several ppl have said they are not diagnosing it correctly. Has anyone else had this issue? The dealership will not fix it because I don't have oil change receipts from the previous owner. Can't believe this experience. My car has been sitting there for a month. Any insight in this matter is greatly appreciated.
I have the same problem. I provided the receipt and used Mobile One - 5w-40 and they say its my Fault

·
Registered
19 Posts
seriously doubt your engine went bad from not using penzoil
I have been using rotella t6 without any issues. How long after the oil change did your engine go bad.
Is the engine seized? does it run?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the same problem. I provided the receipt and used Mobile One - 5w-40 and they say its my Fault
That is terrible. My engine it not working at all now. Still trying to get the receipt from Maserati Anaheim Hills. It's been almost a month and a half. This is crazy. Sorry u are going through that.

·
Registered
542 Posts
That is terrible. My engine it not working at all now. Still trying to get the receipt from Maserati Anaheim Hills. It's been almost a month and a half. This is crazy. Sorry u are going through that.
point 1- if your car is in warranty, try contacting maserati north america at their customer cares line. could help get the ball rolling. i've encountered the need for previous owner receipts, current owner ended up having to contact the selling dealer and working backwards to track down some of the previous service receipts.
if you are out of warranty.... well that is your bill. sorry.
point 2- frankf13 put the wrong oil in his car. 2018+ v6 vehicles call for 10w60, not 5w40.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
point 1- if your car is in warranty, try contacting maserati north america at their customer cares line. could help get the ball rolling. i've encountered the need for previous owner receipts, current owner ended up having to contact the selling dealer and working backwards to track down some of the previous service receipts.
if you are out of warranty.... well that is your bill. sorry.
point 2- frankf13 put the wrong oil in his car. 2018+ v6 vehicles call for 10w60, not 5w40.
Thanks for the info. Maserati North was able to track down that last receipt yesterday. So my Ghibli is on the way to Italy🇮🇹. Thank God it's under warranty. But I appreciate the info.

·
Registered
542 Posts
odd that they don't just toss an engine in it and call it a day. throwing a rod, if that is what happened, usually makes an engine unsalvageable. hole in the block type results.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm not sure of
odd that they don't just toss an engine in it and call it a day. throwing a rod, if that is what happened, usually makes an engine unsalvageable. hole in the block type results.
Not sure of all the details, as long as they fix it that's all I care about. They just advised it threw a rod and I needed an engine.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Reading through this thread has me shaking my head at how difficult Maserati can be honoring warranties. When I was in the market, I was working on a car that was for sale at a Chrysler/Jeep dealer and had it sent to a Maserati dealer for a PPI. The director of service warned me how difficult they could be unless all documentation of proper Maserati maintenance was observed. The car did have decent records, but I ended up buying a CPO from the Maserati dealer and boy I am glad I did after reading this. At least I don't have to worry about a prior owners records or maintenance. From here on out it's all on me and I will gladly be paying the $400 for the annual oil change. Sorry for your troubles OP.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Reading through this thread has me shaking my head at how difficult Maserati can be honoring warranties. When I was in the market, I was working on a car that was for sale at a Chrysler/Jeep dealer and had it sent to a Maserati dealer for a PPI. The director of service warned me how difficult they could be unless all documentation of proper Maserati maintenance was observed. The car did have decent records, but I ended up buying a CPO from the Maserati dealer and boy I am glad I did after reading this. At least I don't have to worry about a prior owners records or maintenance. From here on out it's all on me and I will gladly be paying the $400 for the annual oil change. Sorry for your troubles OP.
Thank you, I just got my car back after two months of fighting to get records for service done prior to me buying the car. But I can honestly say, George at Maserati North really made it happen. So cudos to him. It has been an experience I must say.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thank you, I just got my car back after two months of fighting to get records for service done prior to me buying the car. But I can honestly say, George at Maserati North really made it happen. So cudos to him. It has been an experience I must say.
That's great news! I am sure it has been a long drawn out process, but glad they stepped up for you. Did you get a new engine or did they repair the rod? I also have a faint ticking sound that I assumed was a noisy HVAC fan. It increases slightly with acceleration, but not tied to the engine, I think/hope.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's great news! I am sure it has been a long drawn out process, but glad they stepped up for you. Did you get a new engine or did they repair the rod? I also have a faint ticking sound that I assumed was a noisy HVAC fan. It increases slightly with acceleration, but not tied to the engine, I think/hope.
They replaced everything but the starter and alternator. Your issue sounds just like mine did.

·
Registered
113 Posts
They replaced everything but the starter and alternator. Your issue sounds just like mine did.
Thanks. Mine is very slight to the point I almost feel embarrassed asking about it, but I will next time in. This tick seems pretty common based on what I have seen here. Wish someone had a video with sound. I’ll try and get one and post it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks. Mine is very slight to the point I almost feel embarrassed asking about it, but I will next time in. This tick seems pretty common based on what I have seen here. Wish someone had a video with sound. I’ll try and get one and post it.
If I can download it here I took a video of the sound it was making a day before I took it to the dealer

1 - 20 of 24 Posts