Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Ghibli S
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016-2018 Ghibli help needed. I’m on the market for my wife and looking at a 2016 Ghibli S and she really wants blind spot assist and I know this feature was only introduced in 2016. The 2016’s on the market are around 35k with 20k miles or I could go with a 2018, same miles for around 40-45k. Curious what I should do here? Also, watching every review on YouTube, everyone has negative things to say. One more question, should I get a cpo or non cpo?

·
Registered
65 Posts
If you can afford it, go for 2018. I drive a 2016 and while it’s nice and meets your expectations, 2018 is on a whole different level. They overhauled a lot more than just a facelift.
Ghibli is the kind of car that everyone loves IRL but for whatever reason hates on the internet.
If you’re getting the 2016 then the extra CPO warranty might come in handy.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 2017 and I’ve put 36000 miles on it and mine is fully loaded with all options. Absolutely love it. Make sure you have a dealer inspection before buying a used one as these cars can be literally destroyed in 20k miles. I’ve taken care of mine and each time I serviced it, the dealer complimented on how well it’s taken care of.

·
Registered
27 Posts
2018 below! The dealer said they have fixed a lot of known issues in the 2018 including even the springs. Also I believe the hood and front grill are a little more pronounced on the 2018.

Better to get the newer model if you can to avoid the random issues of older models.

·
Registered
349 Posts
move up from 2016 to 2017 and I bet you can find a similar deal in the same ballpark. Much more tech in 2017+ including Apple Carplay and a revamped infotainment system.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yes indeed. My 2017 CarPlay is flawless. I ended up installing a new head unit on my 07 Mercedes E550 to keep the equal feeling and transition when I switch driving one or the other. Tech is so important with things you can do. I even use Waze instead of the car navigation through CarPlay integration as well as Apple Music. Can control it all from the touch screen. I agree 2017 would be the best option.

·
Registered
2018 Maserati Ghibli SQ4
12 Posts
Even though I bought my Ghibli in March, I remain subscribed to CarGurus for price updates and they are all over the place. I would recommend the 2018 because you should have two years of transferrable warranty (4 years/50k). I see low mileage (5-15k) S RWD models in the mid-high $30s and Q4 GranLussos and Sports for $40-50. It depends on package, color and how far you are willing to drive or have it shipped. I drove 750 miles rt twice to St Louis, first to test drive and then with a one-way rental to pick it up.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Just to add, I recommend going CPO through a dealer. My 2017 warranty is good until 2022 because of this. Plus they also do a ton of work to get it to meet CPO standards.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The fact of the matter is that if the car has been taken care of Maserati does not require any maintenance. Mine has 36000 miles on it and I’ve done 2 oil changes, brake pads, air and cabin filters, and 4 tires. Literally nothing else. If the car has been on the shop and had work done to it, it has been abused. I drive mine like it needs to be driven but do not destroy it. The Carfax report should capture all maintenance done to the car so take a look at it before you buy. My 2 cents—

·
Registered
349 Posts
My car had 31k on it and they put four new Pirelli's on it and did both axles in terms of brakes before delivery. This was the certification part. I did a lot of searching for the right car and had a few 17's I was considering that had 19k miles, but in the end, the one I got with 31k was just in better shape, full records, paint mint, body mint and interior perfect. I could just tell is was taken care of better and it also had a longer warranty end date than the 19k miles cars. In the end, I wasn't going to get caught up in 10k miles as it really doesn't matter if the maintenance stuff is done (brakes/tires) and it has no impact on warranty.

What got my juices flowing on the car besides admiring them on the road, was the first I looked at and almost bought. It was at a Chysler dealer. I had it sent over to the Maserati dealer for a PPI. Car came back fine mechanically, but the straight Nero was in tough shape. Lots of scratches. The director of service was really helpful and kind of talked me into the benefits of CPO. I also liked the experience of buying a Maserati from a Maserati dealer.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Go with 2018. The recalls finally stopped this model year minus one software update. 2017 had 3 additional recalls so might as well get the model where these issues have been addressed at the factory already.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Plus if you can swing 2018, you get the killer grill which was introduced in 2018+. In hindsight, I would have stretched for an '18 just for the grill.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts