Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After having had a few suspension issues with my Ghibli D, but loving the car, I ended up swapping it for a Ghibli S. The Ferrari designed and built engine was too much to resist, and the dealer (who I have known a long time and trust) encouraged me to believe I should be able to average 25 mpg, and even get low 30s mpg on a run. I would have gone for it anyway, but this helped justify it from a "head" perspective.

Well my car has only done 500 miles, so it is still very tight, but I just did 200 miles on a mix of motorways, fast country roads, and two city centres, mostly in ICE, but with the occasional overtaking Sport moment, and I've averaged..........

32 mpg!!!

I'm gobsmacked. On this basis mid-30s should be possible on a long run in ICE, possibly a little more when the engine is less tight. I never achieved more than that in the diesel after 3k miles...........

I'm driving it from Manchester UK to The Algarve in Portugal next weekend. Can't wait to see what it does on that journey :)

·
Registered
852 Posts
must be nice I get 12 MPG.............What is ICE LOL I only know sport manual......there are other modes??????? but going 0-60 in 4.5 is soooooo much fun......

·
Registered
178 Posts
European diesels will always give you better mileage than the gas engines here in the states. On flat highways in the ICE mode without accelerating or speeding too much--hard to resist--we're getting about 27-28 mpg. But when I drive like Etodd, which is often, 9-12 is the rule. It sure is nice having this flexibility of performance when wanted and economy on long drives.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Agreed. For the first 300 miles I was averaging 15mpg, mostly city/suburb driving in Sport mode. I can completely live with that for these kind of short journeys. But with UK petrol at £1.30+/litre, being able to get 30+mpg on a longer run is a huge bonus. Makes taking the Ghibli rather than the wife's diesel Q3 to Portugal a no-brainer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Should pick up my base petrol in about 3 weeks, fingers crossed! Couldn't bring myself to order the diesel over Ferrari petrol having read a few reviews and driven both. I will happily take 30mpg on a run......life's too short!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Guys:

Don't forget that 1 US gallon = .833 imperial gallon. Therefore, someone in GB getting 32 MPG would equal 26.66 MPG in US MPG.

Reactions: Spsesq

·
Registered
278 Posts
Should pick up my base petrol in about 3 weeks, fingers crossed! Couldn't bring myself to order the diesel over Ferrari petrol having read a few reviews and driven both. I will happily take 30mpg on a run......life's too short!
Yeah I share your opinion!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts