Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
Another newbie here I am seriously considering a Ghibli and have driven a 2017 base model.
I am aware of all the "haters" out there and really don't get cheap switchgear maybe but even Porsche uses VW parts!
My budget is around $40k I am currently looking at 2107 and 2018 S models lots of lease returns out there it seems I am thinking focus on the 2018 as it should have warranty left but could do a 2017 if I had service records. I probably don't need SQ4 in San Diego but resale may be better.
Is there anything else I should consider?
Thanks Dan

·
Registered
465 Posts
After driving a QP loaner for a week, I wish my Ghibli has Skyhook suspension. If I could do it all over again, Skyhook would have been a must.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Don't feel "ashamed" of getting what's within your means. Everyone "hated" on me when I got and even had my BMW and Benz before also, all those people had NEVER had a car past a Kia, Hyundai or Honda at best lol. And they were almost never correct with their negative comments.

I started off looking for a Ghibli base also, then really wanted a QP which is what I started actively looking for. Fell in love with the Ghibli S Q4 I have now and have had it for just over 2 years, no regrets. I'm also in California, taking those curves down Highway 1 was the tester and it passed :)

·
Registered
465 Posts
I drove the Levante as a loaner also with the Skyhook. And Wow, I liked.
Honestly, I regret not trying to find a QP CPO after driving it for a week. Such a better ride. Definitely not that much better to warrant the +40,000 new, but if I could have scored a 2018 QP for $50,000 I would have jumped all over it. The biggest thing I miss from BMW's is the handling and joy of mastering the road. The Ghibli is all over the place. Skyhook definitely improves on this, not to the point where it is on par with a BMW. My 17-year old 2003 540 rides better and handles better. No regrets, but when the warranty is up on this in 11/2022, I am going for an M550 CPO.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Chiming in on the Skyhook, it seems its comfort mode is more comfortable than base suspension and sports mode more sporty than the sports suspension (according to a friend of mine). I'm definitely getting it when I get my next Maserati.

·
Administrator
2,295 Posts
Chiming in on the Skyhook, it seems its comfort mode is more comfortable than base suspension and sports mode more sporty than the sports suspension (according to a friend of mine). I'm definitely getting it when I get my next Maserati.
Skyhook covers the range best. It has been refined slightly over time. In 2014, the Sport package with suspension was the stiffest and tightest, (car sat lower to ground too). In my opinion, now the skyhook sports mode is the more aggressive if your comparing same model year. When I ordered mine, I wanted skyhook, but Maserati dealer found a showroom destined car on water which had 99% of what I wanted ... so back in the day jumped on the car a week away from delivery versus waiting 2-3 months and paying retail for a special order car.

Reactions: AlphaWIP

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've owned a 2014 base model and now a 2019 S. They are both fine cars, but I've found that base models tend to have many fewer options than an S or SQ4 (makes sense).

I also found the 2014 base had a large hesitation when I hit the gas pedal - it was fairly annoying and much more than I had experienced on other turbo cars.
The 2019 S has very little hesitation when I hit the gas. Almost nonexistent compared to my prior 2014 base. Not sure if Maserati has improved things over the years, or if it is a base vs S difference.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts