Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Ghibli SQ4 passed its first winter-weather snow test today with flying colors. The suburbs of Detroit got about 1 inch of snow----that first snow of the year, when combined with exceptionally cold weather, seems to make everyone on the road nervous to the point they drive like they have never seen snow before. Accidents everywhere on the expressways and side streets, with the compacted light snow being slippery as heck, especially at intersections. The Ghibli SQ4 was awesome in the snow. I set the instrument panel to show the relative front to rear power changes in the 4 wheel drive system--very entertaining. The car had great traction moving forward from a dead stop. The Pirelli All-Season tires are excellent, especially as I watched in comparison a brand new Corvette slipping and sliding sideways at every start up---quite amusing. I thought my previous Lincoln MKS with AWD was one of the best winter cars I have ever owned---but the Ghibli SQ4 in the "ICE" setting, with the 4 wheel drive operating in conjunction with the AS tires--gave me great confidence in the ability of this car to handle the cold and snowy conditions----now, anyone driving a Ghibli in Buffalo tonight???

·
Administrator
2,410 Posts
Glad to hear your ghibli drives nicely in the snow. No snow in central PA yet, but I have my Pirelli Sottozero3 winter tires on and ready for a drive in the fresh clean snow.

Reactions: Mangirek

·
Registered
76 Posts
I currently have the 20 inch urano tires and debating if I should get a new set of wheels/tires. Where are you from in Detroit area fgpoamgc?

My car is at the DTW airport currently since I am traveling for business, but lets see how it reacts on the snowy roads.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Glad to hear the SQ4 is so good in the snow. It's 4,200 lbs doesn't hurt either. But I will just listen to everybody's descriptions and analysis as mine baby will never see the white stuff or the salty stuff that accompanies it.

So for all of you snow drivers, please stay safe, drive carefully and wash your cars throuroughly so not to get any salt damage!

Steve

·
Registered
311 Posts
I fitted my sq4 with 19'' wheel and Pirelli winter tires. No snow here yet but temp is getting closer and closer to 0C at night and snow should be here soon, will also let you know how it handles then...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not a snow comment, but a question related to the cold. Does anyone think that their car takes a while to warm up in this recent cold weather? I keep the car on auto climate (temp 72 F)-- I hear a lot of blowing, but not much air comes from the leg area and it takes a while-- also, there seems to be almost no air coming out of the back vents for the rear passengers. Thanks.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Glad to hear it works well I put the winter tires on in NJ, but if we get snow, I'm working from home that day. Don't want to take the chance :) ... SQ4 or not.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
That's great to hear! Unfortunately my Ghibli will never see snow with the 21 inch wheels. It will be like an AWD sled sliding around NYC. It will re-emerge once the snow melts.

Reactions: flamingwicky

·
Registered
117 Posts
Not surprised the Ghibli is good in the snow especially with all season tires. IT should be excellent when I put on my snow tires.

The limiting factor I think will be the ride height of the car. I think this car sits much lower to the ground than my 550 did. I hope 3 -4 inches of unplowed snow are not unpassable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got my 2015 Q4 with all season tires last week, drove from NC to snowy Minnesota. I am very impressed how it handles the snowy roads up here. It is a very good feeling sitting behind the steering wheel knowing how well it handles winter conditions.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts