Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm surprised I haven't seen anything in the forum yet about this problem (or I've just missed it somewhere). I leased my Ghibli S Q4 in January 2014. Test drove it twice and both times noticed what seemed like the engine was "stuttering" at times. The sales person assured me that it was simply a result of the engine being cold.

Over the past 9 months I've taken the car into the service department 4 times and asked that they fix this problem. Finally, during my last visit with the head of the service department along for a drive in the car I was finally told that what I am experiencing is a "characteristic of the car" and a result of the AWD or something to do with the speed at which the wheels turn differently when the car turns. It is a significant problem, so much so that everyone that has ridden in or driven my car ask what's wrong with it! Bottom line - this is something they (Maserati and/or the dealer) knew about when they leased the car but hadn't been telling consumers that it was a characteristic of the car.

Since they've told me it was a "characteristic" of the car, I'm assuming anyone else with a Ghibli S Q4 has the same problem. Anyone else know what I'm talking about?

·
Registered
109 Posts
i have an SQ4 in Boston too, and have not noticed any problem like the one you describe. Which dealer are you using? (I'm using Herb Chambers, who don't seem all that experienced yet at servicing Maseratis.)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Lemon

I'm surprised I haven't seen anything in the forum yet about this problem (or I've just missed it somewhere). I leased my Ghibli S Q4 in January 2014. Test drove it twice and both times noticed what seemed like the engine was "stuttering" at times. The sales person assured me that it was simply a result of the engine being cold.

Over the past 9 months I've taken the car into the service department 4 times and asked that they fix this problem. Finally, during my last visit with the head of the service department along for a drive in the car I was finally told that what I am experiencing is a "characteristic of the car" and a result of the AWD or something to do with the speed at which the wheels turn differently when the car turns. It is a significant problem, so much so that everyone that has ridden in or driven my car ask what's wrong with it! Bottom line - this is something they (Maserati and/or the dealer) knew about when they leased the car but hadn't been telling consumers that it was a characteristic of the car.

Since they've told me it was a "characteristic" of the car, I'm assuming anyone else with a Ghibli S Q4 has the same problem. Anyone else know what I'm talking about?
No problem with mine.
Strongly suggest you file a lemon suit immediately. Depending on the laws of your state, your ability to do this may expire soon-depending on your mileage also.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I've experienced it. I believe it is the AWD transmission with sport suspension and 20" wheels. 2014 Maserati Ghibli Forum - View Single Post - Finally!

I have not experienced it in two different loaners that are AWD, non-sport, with 18s. The diameter on the 20s is slightly different than the 18s.

I don't think it's enough of an issue to be considered a defect (at least not what I experienced). Besides, I have bigger issues to worry about.

Also, there was a bulletin and fix for hard downshift from 2nd to 1st while stopping.

·
Administrator
2,570 Posts
I have 20" urano's on pzero's, sport suspension and SQ4. I don't really have any engine sputtering that is obvious to me.

I'm not sure if you are referring to the occasional AWD slippage/traction event when it is cold out which the engine tries to compensate. It is more noticeable on turning and especially once the 20" tires start to regain grip and redistribution of of power.

This does not occur for me in warm weather or when I have my winter sottosero 3's on.

BostonChinook - What size wheels do you have on the car?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Its the difference of summer - all season and winter tires when the temperature drops. An easy way to confirm this is .... Go to the spot where it always happens -- Now drive the car on an extended road tested preferably at high speeds to get the tires hot and then go back to that spot and see if its any better if it is its the characteristic of summer compound tires when cold.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all

Thanks all for the responses. As BeerGuy and Jackal note, it is related to the AWD and the tire size. It is EXTREMELY noticeable for me as I only drive my car around town - hence a lot of stopping and turning. I have 18s (performance) on my car and was told by the dealer that getting the all season tires would "help" but that they do not make all season tires in that size for my car.

I really like the car and have not had any of the other problems that have been noted in this forum. Unfortunately this sputtering/stuttering problem is not a characteristic that can be overlooked and I was definitely misinformed about the car when I leased it. I am pursuing a few options at this time but hope this doesn't become a legal battle.

BTW - I'm on Long Island, NY with Maserati Long Island.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Its the difference of summer - all season and winter tires when the temperature drops. An easy way to confirm this is .... Go to the spot where it always happens -- Now drive the car on an extended road tested preferably at high speeds to get the tires hot and then go back to that spot and see if its any better if it is its the characteristic of summer compound tires when cold.
Elaborating on this, I just switched from the summer tires to the winter Sottozeros and all issues I had with traction in temperatures >60 degrees went away. I can see you how might perceive these traction issues as stuttering; since you are on LI you should have winter tires anyway so you might try them and see if the problem goes away. The standard Pirellis that come with the car start degrading performance at surprisingly high temperatures (I noticed issues with temps in the 50s).

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've experienced it. I believe it is the AWD transmission with sport suspension and 20" wheels. 2014 Maserati Ghibli Forum - View Single Post - Finally!

I have not experienced it in two different loaners that are AWD, non-sport, with 18s. The diameter on the 20s is slightly different than the 18s.

I don't think it's enough of an issue to be considered a defect (at least not what I experienced). Besides, I have bigger issues to worry about.

Also, there was a bulletin and fix for hard downshift from 2nd to 1st while stopping.
I noticed the 2nd to 1st downshift on my drive home from the dealership, but it hasn't happened again, yet. (only 2 drives since).

I would assume any TSB's would have been dealt with prior to me taking possession? Maybe shouldn't assume???

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same problem as the OP. I kind of figured it was just a characteristic of the car. Probably the most annoying thing about the vehicle.

·
Administrator
2,570 Posts
I noticed the 2nd to 1st downshift on my drive home from the dealership, but it hasn't happened again, yet. (only 2 drives since).

I would assume any TSB's would have been dealt with prior to me taking possession? Maybe shouldn't assume???
There really is no software fix or campaign for the hard 2nd to 1st gear shift. It should go away through the learning mode of the transmission. Mine was very noticeable when brand new and still happens occassionally in Auto/ICE even at 2000 miles ... not noticeable in sport. Some dealers reset the transmission if it doesn't clear by 3000 miles or is worse than normal.

Reactions: Mangirek

·
Registered
123 Posts
I had something occur when I bought my Audi A8 about 4 years ago. That too was all wheel drive. That had a sport package with summer Goodyears on it and occasionally it would do what you describe, more so when turning. The loaner cars on all-season tires would not do it. At the time, the dealer told me something similar as what you were told.

I think that when you have a car with a lot of low end torque, it may tend to break traction and you'll get that stuttering.

As other posters have noted, if summer tires (or any tires really) are warm, they shouldn't do that. But you may want to watch your foot and try to apply slightly less throttle during a turn. That may help or it may not.

But high torque and AWD are not the best of friends.

·
Registered
206 Posts

Hi BostonChinook,

I’d definitely like to help you investigate this further. If you could please PM me with your VIN number, we can communicate with your local dealer.

Thanks,

MaseratiCares

·
Registered
242 Posts
I often feel that here in the Midwest.

The description:

The rubber compound of a high performance summer tire will harden at low temperatures affecting the traction performance and handling of the tire. At lower speeds, while navigating tight corners, you may experience a “skip” or “hop” of the inside rear wheel. This is simply an overcompensation of the system that was designed for high performance driving. Please ensure that the vehicle is equipped with seasonally appropriate, recommended high performance tires.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
I too have the same problem as described in the original post. Even my service advisor explained to me this morning that it is common in high performance tires in cold weather, and I know it is worse due to me having the 21" wheels. I had the same exact issue in my 911 with the 20" wheels under cold driving conditions. It's annoying but normal as much as that sucks to hear!

Reactions: Mangirek

·
Registered
56 Posts
ive noticed the problem with my car where it feels like its about to die at low rpm's ( i have the 19 inch proteos ) from queens ny.
it is a very annoying problem, taking it in for service tomorrow.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi BostonChinook,

I’d definitely like to help you investigate this further. If you could please PM me with your VIN number, we can communicate with your local dealer.

Thanks,

MaseratiCares
Hello Maserati Cares, thanks for the offer of assistance - what organization/company do you represent?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sadly disappointed

Thanks again everyone for your information and help. Maserati of North America was no help - they weren't even professional about the way they handled my concern (it took 4 calls from me over a period of 2 weeks before I ever received a call back today). They basically are saying this is your problem with the dealer, it has nothing to do with Maserati of North America.

Putting the performance of the car aside, I am most put off by the way the entire issue has been handled by Maserati of North America and the dealership (at least so far, hope to speak with the GM and then the owner if necessary this week).

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hello Maserati Cares, thanks for the offer of assistance - what organization/company do you represent?
Hi BostonChinook,

I'm with Maserati North America. I am the Social Media Manager.

Regards,

Howie - MaseratiCares

1 - 20 of 36 Posts