Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 430 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I was wondering if anyone has chipped/tuned their Ghibli in US? I am not sure what's the stock turbo psi but since its a turbo car, i am assuming it should gain a decent amount from a chip/tune.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
480 Posts
That a dealer would install a ECU tune to make the engine more powerful than the manufacturer spec on a particular vehicle does not sound right.

Why would a dealer even do an install? Wouldn't Maserati forbid it or warn of the loss of a warranty coverage?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
That a dealer would install a ECU tune to make the engine more powerful than the manufacturer spec on a particular vehicle does not sound right.

Why would a dealer even do an install? Wouldn't Maserati forbid it or warn of the loss of a warranty coverage?
Thats a good point. But i know for a fact that Audi does an ECU tune to their cars if you ask. Like the Audi S4 they tune it to over 400hp and you do not lose the warranty.

Novitec told me they are working with the dealers and thats the only way to get the tune. If not you have to find one of their shops. As long as the dealers aprove it and install it you shouldn't lose the warranty.

As soon as they release the price and its not some ridiculous amount, i will call my dealer and ask. The Ghibli with 476hp, faster throttle response, higher top speed, and better fuel economy (if you drive like a grandma) does not sound like a bad idea.

·
Registered
666 Posts

Well, that individual dealer will have to warranty the tune and the vehicle. This warranty will not work if you bring the car to another dealer. I know some Mercedes dealers will offer Brabus or Lorinser tune to the customers. Of course, they will be charging you more to make a profit. Usually more than other independent tuning shops.

I also imagine the tuning company (Brabus, Novitec, etc) will have to provide some type of warranty/protect for their products on the cars.

·
Registered
236 Posts
BMW dealers install DINAN tunes as well. It does not void the warranty.

Dinan Cars designs and manufactures aftermarket performance parts for BMW automobiles. The company was founded in 1979 by Steve Dinan and is headquartered in Morgan Hill, California.

Its parts are marketed through a network of authorized BMW dealers, independent auto repair shops as well as through their website. The company has a long-standing relationship with the BMW dealers, allowing Dinan-modified vehicles to retain factory warranty coverage and even qualify for BMW's Certified Pre-Owned program; something often lost when vehicles receive aftermarket modifications. There are 180 locations in the United States that sell Dinan parts or cars; 150 of them are BMW dealerships. One of Dinan’s goals is to help and support these dealerships in hopes to increase sales from 5,000 cars a year to 15,000 cars a year.

Dinan’s comprehensive warranty program, introduced in 1996 with the cooperation of BMW of North America, provides BMW owners with matching coverage to that offered by BMW’s new car warranty, ensuring that Dinan performance enhancements and the BMW's they have been installed in are covered for up to 4 years or 50,000 miles.

Dinan supplied performance parts for the Mini line but the last model year designed for was in 2006. In addition Dinan also built BMW racing engines for teams competing in the Grand-Am Rolex Sports Car Series Daytona Prototype class up until 2013.

As of 2013, Dinan is part of the Driven Performance Brand Group which includes B&M Racing and Performance, Flowmaster, and Hurst Driveline Conversions.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I also have been calling Novitec about the Ghibli tune and was told this would be handled only by dealers whom wanted to be a part of the tune offering. I am in NY so he said it was likely they would be able to find some dealer in the tri state area for me to go to but product pricing and installation pricing would not be ready for release until this Friday. I have a feeling this would mean this is likely going to be an expensive tune. If anyone gets the info before me Friday please share and I will do the same if they call me back with the final pricing.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Several Porsche dealers do the same...

·
Registered
666 Posts
Novitec is backed by Ferrari and Maserati. I plan on getting a base model this week sometime (hopefully tomorrow). I'll prob do a custom dyno tune... The V6 twin-turbo motor has so much potential.
Unless they have some type of deal/agreement that Maserati/Ferrari gets part of Novitec's profit, I found it very hard to believe that Maserati will warranty Novitec's tune. The only way I believe that can happen is if the tune is done by a Maserati dealer. Just be ready to pay $$$$.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Thank you very much for the info.
$2380 from Novitec. It will most likely be $3000 installed by a dealer and will most likely take them only15-20 minutes to plug it in.
I feel that all the tunes from those big companies are over priced. But I guess that's how they make their $$$ and maybe cover themselves if something goes wrong with their products.

·
Registered
863 Posts
How much HP gain, and torque gain are we talking about here with the Novitec tune. See i think the total cost of it wont be higher than 2600 with installation. Now if we get this in somewhere around 3000$ range, I think its a safe bet.

Rather than going with some unknown company.. for the tune. I would rather go with a big name company with proven track record. I dont want to mess up a 30k engine with a 500$ piece of crap i think its fair to pay around 10% of what your engine cost.. to a tune, that will actually work.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
$3,000 dollars is still kinda pricy for a plug and play tune. I will only do it with a known company as well but i feel some of them will charge 1.5-2k range like they do for the QP. When Novitec releases the HP gain and if it's the same as QP (70hp) gain then it might be worth it. Since the Ghibli will be almost as fast as the V8QP and will give a totally new feel to the car.

·
Registered
253 Posts
$3,000 dollars is still kinda pricy for a plug and play tune. I will only do it with a known company as well but i feel some of them will charge 1.5-2k range like they do for the QP. When Novitec releases the HP gain and if it's the same as QP (70hp) gain then it might be worth it. Since the Ghibli will be almost as fast as the V8QP and will give a totally new feel to the car.
The v8 QP 0-60 is 4.6, ghibli sq4 is 4.7. I hope it's better than .1 s gain for $3k ;)

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The v8 QP 0-60 is 4.6, ghibli sq4 is 4.7. I hope it's better than .1 s gain for $3k ;)
Sure hope so :D Even right now if we brake boost, we can definitely get a better 0-60 time than 4.7s. But when i said almost as fast as the QP V8 i was referring more to the 1/4 mile and 60-100mph times. I hope with the ECU tune the Ghibli can do mid-low 12's in the 1/4 mile.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Guys for some people who have really tested the car, they say the 0.60 is around 4.5. Keeping in mind there is a lag which would get the car slower by almost 0.2 s.

So here is my optimistic way to put it.

1. With DBW, increase of acceleration will shave 0.2 sec. Brining the 0-60 to almost 4.3 and
2. With an ECU tune, with almost 70/80 HP and 70 Torque increase i think you will be able to shave another 0.2 sec. Brining the 0-60 to almost 4.1

Now that is pretty good i think.

For even more optimistic people, Put in Larani exhaust and may be a much better air filter i think you can move the car in Ferrari territory.

I think the car is capable of a lot here, and its might be FIAT/Chrysler policy not to step in Ferrari territory.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I will see if i can VBOX my car this weekend to compare with and without the DBW. From personal experience 0-60 times varies from driver to driver and how well they can launch, what gas was used, outside temperature, warm tires, etc. Specially since we are taking about 1/10 of a second. Even though 4.5s does sound reasonable.

The only Ferrari, I can see the Ghibli with bolt on mods putting up a good fight is against the 2013 California. Thats because they are very close in weight and HP. Now the 458 is just a monster and weights 600lbs less.

1 - 20 of 430 Posts