Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

401 - 420 of 431 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Installation has been completed and the results are very good. The installation was more difficult than I expected, but the suggestion of a set of long picks was correct. The limited space for reaching the back sensor makes the long picks essential. I got mine from Amazon. Turning on my Sprintbooster with the Racechip installed makes the car very responsive and I would think that the Racechip does bring the power close to the 500bhp threshold. Sprintbooster doesn't add power, but makes the throttle very responsive. If you can only get one of these, get the Sprintbooster since it provides the best "seat of the pants" performance increase. I also changed to BMC permanent filter from Italy. They do provide an increase in power. I do not know how much, but on a 2014 BMW M5, dyno showed an 11 bhp increase.

Richard

·
Registered
281 Posts
How long did the install take you?
What do you keep your sprintbooster set at?
Was the increase in HP felt immediately or was there a learning period for the chip & your ECM until you felt the difference?

Ron

·
Registered
69 Posts
Honestly, after using the long picks, it still took 5-6 hours to figure out how to get enough leverage to plug the new wiring harness into the rear sensor. I can't even imagine how many hours I spent before getting the picks in trying to get to the sensor.

On the Sprintbooster, there are 18 setting (x2 to account for the standard and Sport mode settings of the car - 36 total settings). Before adding the Racechip, I set the Racechip to 16 out of its total 18 settings. After adding the Racechip, I am using a setting of 8 (out of 18) on the Sprintbooster.

You feel the HP and torque increase immediately, but I suspect that it is still learning since the car felt stronger at the end of the day yesterday (when it completed the installation) than when I first drove it. I am going to continue monitoring it.

Rick

·
Registered
281 Posts
5-6 + countless others? Yikes!
Well, at least you're done.

So tell me, if you have to take the car in for service, will you simply unplug the unit or will you remove everything? lol

Ron

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have the "box" in a convenient location, so it is simple just to unplug it and plug in a "jumper" that is provided and it is back to OEM. I am in the process of hiding the extra wires that look just like all the other plug-ins under the hood. I can even easily remove the extra box with the removal of two screws. I may replace those two screws with two push-pins.

·
Registered
69 Posts
After driving for about 10 days following installation of the Racechip, I can confirm that the results are terrific and far more so with the Sprintbooster. In point of fact, if you can believe this, I had to dial back the Sprintbooster because the responsiveness was so intense. Without the Racechip, I had to dial it to the "most responsive" setting. As I pointed out in an earlier post, the installation is difficult due to the difficulty of getting to the rear sensor. Apart from this, the installation would be easy. If anyone decides to install Racechip, or another, add-on, PM me and I'll try to give guidance on how to install the harness and more easily get to the rear sensor.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Honestly, after using the long picks, it still took 5-6 hours to figure out how to get enough leverage to plug the new wiring harness into the rear sensor. I can't even imagine how many hours I spent before getting the picks in trying to get to the sensor.

On the Sprintbooster, there are 18 setting (x2 to account for the standard and Sport mode settings of the car - 36 total settings). Before adding the Racechip, I set the Racechip to 16 out of its total 18 settings. After adding the Racechip, I am using a setting of 8 (out of 18) on the Sprintbooster.

You feel the HP and torque increase immediately, but I suspect that it is still learning since the car felt stronger at the end of the day yesterday (when it completed the installation) than when I first drove it. I am going to continue monitoring it.

Rick
So I installed an Engine Control Module - MAXPower by MADNESS Autoworks. Even knowing where that sensor on the back of the motor was, I still had trouble finding it! It doesn't appear they figured anyone would ever have to access it!

First the good news: I had that troublesome rear sensor unplugged in about 5 minutes. Another 2-3 minutes to get it fished up and out of the way, and somehow it only took me about 20 minutes to get the new connection plugged back into the engine sensor!! I was prepared for a battle royal based on what numerous others have reported here...PHEW!! :D

The other 2 sensors took about 1-2 minutes each. I mounted the "box" with 2 zip ties.

Now the bad news: The car would not idle properly and I got a CEL. The rpm's would drop & then go back up. Then this would just keep repeating. After clearing the codes and disconnecting the battery again for about 20 minutes, the next start led to a normal idle & no CEL, so I took the car for a drive down the block to experience my new found power.....only to find the car felt like I was DOWN 200hp! I called MADNESS and the tech told me to clear codes again and install the bypass plug and drive the car and report back. Doing that got me back to normal. They said I must have a bad box and they already have sent me a replacement box. I should have it in a few days. That install should take 5 minutes, so I will report back then.

As for the company, good and bad. They are not very good at returning voice mails left for them. They're better at email replies, but not 100%. Having said that, they have 2 locations and any time I have called they answered and the guys are VERY nice, knowledgeable and patient. Their website is nice and have many helpful videos. The staff is great.

My order took 3 weeks to complete as they said they were held up in customs waiting for the wiring harness to get into the country from Italy for 12 days alone.

I was told by the owner's wife she'd follow up with me personally on my shipping date, but she never did.

We'll see when I get the replacement box installed. God forbid that doesn't work and I have to put the stock harness back on!:eek:
I don't want to have to do that again as I doubt I'll get that lucky again with such a short install time.

Ron

·
Registered
281 Posts
So I received and installed the replacement box. Normal idle, no CEL's...BUT.....the car feels like it is DOWN 200hp, not up ANY!

When I contacted the folks at Madness last time, they said they've had a couple of defective boxes in the past but it is very rare.

I was hopeful when I didn't have any CEL's and a normal idle, but right off the bat I could tell that power was down instead of up. I called and of course they're closed until next Tuesday for the holidays. Uggh!

Everything seems normal until I push the gas pedal down. It even downshifts normal, but there doesn't feel like there is any power to be had while driving...I'll give it another day maybe to let the car relearn perhaps? I figured it should at least feel somewhat more powerful 1st restart and not WAY worse. Yes, I disconnected the battery prior to installing the replacement module.

Otherwise I'll have to reinstall the bypass plug and wait to speak to them. When I did that last time, the car returned to normal so it definitely was the control module and not a bad connection or my car. I'm just dreading having to uninstall the connections to return this.

Any insight anyone?

Ron

·
Registered
69 Posts
Did you unlock the doors, place the key someplace at a distance and wait 15 minutes before unplugging or plugging any of the connectors? I think that is a necessity for all of these add-on systems.

Rick

·
Registered
281 Posts
Did you unlock the doors, place the key someplace at a distance and wait 15 minutes before unplugging or plugging any of the connectors? I think that is a necessity for all of these add-on systems.

Rick
I did not. They did not say to do that in the directions. They did say to disconnect the battery though.

I guess your suggestion is worth a shot though since I put the bypass plug back in since they're on vaca until next Tuesday.

·
Registered
281 Posts

Rick
What is the logic behind that idea and do you believe the battery needs to be disconnected or not before adding the piggy back tune?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I wondered that also, but if that were the case, I think there'd be a problem when I connect the bypass plug as well.

Ron

Not Necessarily. If the harness connector/sensor is bad I would expect it to work if it’s bypassed.

Do you have a OBDII code reader?

Also what year and trim do you have? Mostly curious because I am fighting similar issues with a DBW install. I almost wonder if Maserati changed something on the 17s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
281 Posts
Not Necessarily. If the harness connector/sensor is bad I would expect it to work if it’s bypassed.

Do you have a OBDII code reader?

Also what year and trim do you have? Mostly curious because I am fighting similar issues with a DBW install. I almost wonder if Maserati changed something on the 17s.

I have a 14 SQ4.
But if their harness replaces the stock connectors, then the oem signals are running through their harness, and if a connector on their harness is bad then when their box is bypassed, the oem signals would be interrupted if their harness was bad, no? The signals are still travelling through their supplied harness (which looks oem), just not to their control module.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I think disconnecting the battery would have the same effect as allowing the electronics to go to sleep by waiting the 15 minutes. So if you disconnected the battery, then you can probably rule out that issue (i.e., the "sleep" issue).

Rick

·
Registered
281 Posts
I triple checked the connections. They agree that if it was a bad connector then I'd STILL be having a problem with the bypass plug in place.

I just spoke with them and gave them 2 control module error codes I had. There were many more in unrelated areas but I attributed those to the fact that the battery was disconnected. They are stumped at the moment.

Here are 2 codes from the scanner:

control module
$7E8:Engine
$7E9:A/T

·
Registered
281 Posts

I just re-read your post. The bypass plug only bypasses their control module, NOT their harness connectors. Sorry if I was unclear.

That's why I figured that if 1 of the connectors on their harness were bad, or I didn't have a connector plugged in properly to one of the sensors, that I'd still have a problem with the bypass plug in place.

They said they were going to work on the issue. He said they have used this on many similar year Ghibli's in the past without these issues. He went as far as to say they may have to give me a refund. I do not want to remove the harness and return the stock sensors as I fear I may not be as lucky the 2nd time around with that rear manifold sensor as I was on the initial install. Also, I'd like this mod to work! There doesn't seem to be any reason it is not.

I asked him twice if he was sure I got a module for an SQ4 and not a regular Ghibli and he said he was sure.

Ron

401 - 420 of 431 Posts