Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Administrator
2,572 Posts
Ken Outstanding Job - Nicely done and didn't know the signature service came with its own keepsake video:cool:.

Now I have to keep it looking this good!!!

·
Administrator
2,572 Posts
So I got to ask ... and I've read the detailing section on this forum, and autogeek and autopia forums. Tons of recommendations and knock-down drag out discussions ... but not a lot on routine (daily, weekly, and/or monthly type of maintenance).

So now I have this Ghibli all detailed out starting to get a little dust / pollen ... what is the recommendation to "safely" remove dust and pollen from driving or sitting in garage?

Right or wrong I used the California duster for dust/pillen for many years ... just made sure it was clean and light wipe (not rubbing). Sounds like that is not a preferred choice.

I shouldn't admit, but in my early 20's, prior to getting married, I used to wash my car almost daily to keep it perfect ... don't have time for that anymore.

I have the waterless wash /detailer (HD product). Is that what is recommended with a proper cloth to keep it clean/shiny between formal washings?

Just looking for new insights when using these new coatings that theoretically require less maintencance.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Excellent questions BeerGuy!

In general, I still recommend using the waterless wash product you have as a "quick detailer". Mist is on one panel and gently wipe the panel in one direction. Either flipping the towel over or using a separate towel, gently "buff" the section to remove any moisture or residue.

I highly advise against the California Duster! It does one thing very good, trap and hold dust and pollen. Even if you shake it out after every stroke, it does not release all the materials it has just picked up. The reason it grabs so much dust of your vehicle is that the individual fibers are coated in paraffin wax. As you use it more and more, it contains more dust and pollen. If you have never seen a microscopic picture of pollen is it pretty disturbing. It resembles the business end of a medieval mace!

Just remember, every time you touch your paint, you are abrading it to some degree. However, coatings and withstand the torture much better than just waxes.

The very best way to handle it is to just wait a few days until you can properly wash the vehicle. And, if you have compressed air or a leaf blower available that is even better than drying towels since you aren't even touching the paint to dry it.

·
Administrator
2,572 Posts
Ken - thanks for the input.
I maybe a little over the top, but I ordered the foaming soap adjustable pro cannon set-up plus the appropriate safe car soap to hook to my power washer and have my 160 mph leaf blower all fueled up and ready to go:).

·
Administrator
2,572 Posts
First time washing since the detailing, (first time ever for me on the car).

I tried the foam soap cannon (with the HD soap) attached to my power washer ... turn the entire car white. Let is soak for a few minutes and rinsed it off ... no scrubbing. I had just returned from a 200 mile round trip with bugs and muddy construction water so thought it was time.

Interesting observation ... the waste rinsed white foam (puddled in the driveway) had a lot of black soot floating on top of it. I suspect it was all the road grime and brake dust that was washed away. All the dried on bugs washed off completely with no scrubbing.

I did try the leaf blower approach ... it actually worked very well ... but need a lighter leaf blower to make this a viable option. No wiping at all ... my wife thought I was nuts, but other than that it worked fine. I'll need to think if the blower is a long term practical solution.:)

Reactions: tjsbeer

·
Administrator
2,572 Posts
The benefits of these professionally applied coatings is durability and longevity of the protection.

The waxes and sealants don't last as long so need to be reapplied much more frequently (and directly proportionally to how often and with what you wash the car).

I was particularly concerned with bird droppings and acid rain. They have damaged some of my earlier vehicles even though I had then waxed / sealed.

I made the choice of the Maserati so wanted to pay that little extra to make sure it is well protected into the future.

Reactions: tjsbeer

·
Administrator
2,572 Posts
Ken thanks for the recommendation.
I'm going to give it a try ... found on Amazon with free 2-day shipping.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts