Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if the HID headlights on my Ghibli be changed to the new and improved LED's?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Literally just posted this a minute ago..

I like the look of the Matrix LED's much better than the Bi-Xenon. Unfortunately, only the Gransport and Granlusso have them. Not my 2019 Ghibli S Q4. Asked the dealership to upgrade them, and they said they can't do it because they can't even order the Matrix lights for the S Q4.. And that if I wanted I could buy them myself and try to put them in, and void the warranty.. Crap. Will they even work on an S Q4?

This sucks because unlike my older 2015, the 2019 doesn't even have Auto Highbeam any more..

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Literally just posted this a minute ago..

I like the look of the Matrix LED's much better than the Bi-Xenon. Unfortunately, only the Gransport and Granlusso have them. Not my 2019 Ghibli S Q4. Asked the dealership to upgrade them, and they said they can't do it because they can't even order the Matrix lights for the S Q4.. And that if I wanted I could buy them myself and try to put them in, and void the warranty.. Crap. Will they even work on an S Q4?

This sucks because unlike my older 2015, the 2019 doesn't even have Auto Highbeam any more..
it would not work
The plugs and wiring are not the same, I've checked in mine compared to teh olf MY2017 also the wiring goes to an ECU unit, it comes with the LED lights, so to have the Led Lights working you need that ECU too ( that ECU is connected to the camera on the front windshield diming sensor etc..)

quite a challenge.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just get Osram CBB bulbs that are 6k-7k kelvin, once worn in they settle around 6k kelvin which is a pure white look with a slight blue tint which looks just like an LED.

Link below shows the difference from the original bulb to the upgraded CBB bulbs which are also approx 20-30% brighter.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
157 Posts
There’s a Chinese vendor that made the newer LEDs work on the older cars by building a custom harness interface. I posted a video in a different thread.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Just get Osram CBB bulbs that are 6k-7k kelvin, once worn in they settle around 6k kelvin which is a pure white look with a slight blue tint which looks just like an LED.

Link below shows the difference from the original bulb to the upgraded CBB bulbs which are also approx 20-30% brighter.

Hope this helps.

But you need to take the front bumper off to get at the lights, correct? Not worth it IMO.

·
Registered
2014 GT MC / 2018 Ghibli SQ4 Gransport
334 Posts
Not enough is said about these LED matrix headlights. They are truly incredible, easily the best headlights I've ever had on any car. I'm definitely the brightest car on the road at night. Even when it's not that dark, the LEDs flash so bright that when my turn signals are on, I can see it reflect off stop signs that are 100 feet away. And on top, they simply look freaking awesome and high tech. Sadly, I don't believe we get the full use of the matrix technology in the US. There are laws I guess that don't allow for some of the automatic functions these headlights have. So it's even less worth it to try and swap in the US.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Jealous of people that have the LED headlights!

Joe is correct that you will have to remove the bumper to upgrade your HID bulbs. CBB bulbs give you the bluish tint color just like LEDs, the Nightbreaker give you the most brightness but are 3700k so much more amber which I don't like.

Removing the bumper will probably cost you 1 hour of labor. Get it done at a luxury car shop and you'll save a little on labor. Also make sure to ask the shop to realign your headlights, not sure if they automatically do that or not but better to be safe so they're properly aligned.

For me the prior owner or dealership drilled a front license plate holder into the front bumper causing holes. So I plan on getting the bumper touched up at the same time to make it worth while to remove the bumper.

Below is a picture of the CBB lights on some random car, not my car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well my reason for inquiring about this was for one main thing, having the full functionality of the Matrix LED lights, not just the light/brightness/style/etc.. I want that functionality where the mechanism follows oncoming traffic/light and shines away.. (Similar to auto-high beam).

Heck, they even friggin' got rid of the automatic high beam function and I'd rather have those instead of the ones on my 2019 Ghibli SQ4.

So, anyone know if there is a possibility of upgrading to the Matrix LED's now?

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Do you have a camera on your front windscreen?

Otherwise, it may be possible just to have the lights LED but with no special features, they will work just as normal Xenon lights

check that video .. the guy did it

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yeah, I don't really have an issue with how the current lights look. I wanted the Matrix functionality.

Is there any way to get the Auto Highbeam back? LOL!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts