Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im coming off a CLA45 AMG and seeking a Ghibli.

I believe in 2018 is when there were some major changes, yes?
What should I look out for when seeking a vehicle?

I want that pop sound I get in my CLA, and all wheel drive along with the highest end package and paddle shifting...

Can you chip these like I did with my AMG to get more power?

I have the AMG racing seats, love the tightness, which package will give me all I want?

Thank you for taking the time to allow me to get into your world.

·
Registered
151 Posts
You are correct 2018 was the first year of some major changes.

Another consideration: 2019 was the first year of the new gear shifter which to me was important - the old shifter was not intuitive to me while the new shifter is.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Im coming off a CLA45 AMG and seeking a Ghibli.

I believe in 2018 is when there were some major changes, yes?
What should I look out for when seeking a vehicle?

I want that pop sound I get in my CLA, and all wheel drive along with the highest end package and paddle shifting...

Can you chip these like I did with my AMG to get more power?

I have the AMG racing seats, love the tightness, which package will give me all I want?

Thank you for taking the time to allow me to get into your world.
Yes, you can tune them; there are a few good ones out there. JB4 (piggy back) and some euro tunes where you send the ECU. I think you easily get 75 more HP.

You'll want one that has the sport suspension that you're able to adjust in the cabin if you want a tighter ride. The seats in the one you're looking at are nice but also comfy :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It says it right on the lower front fenders. near the rocker panels. The one you're looking at is a GranSport
I could put a Lamborgini logo on a Pinto too LOL. Is there any other way to tell. I read how dealers sometimes try to pass it off as one. Also, I thought it was 2019 they came out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does this one still 'pop' from the exhaust when you paddle shift?
Any other options I might be missing on this one?

Anything to check/worry about when inspecting?
I al
Yes, you can tune them; there are a few good ones out there. JB4 (piggy back) and some euro tunes where you send the ECU. I think you easily get 75 more HP.

You'll want one that has the sport suspension that you're able to adjust in the cabin if you want a tighter ride. The seats in the one you're looking at are nice but also comfy :)
Thanks for the reply. I believe this one has it I saw it in the pic under the sport button.

PS does do cars have 'race mode' like mine I hold down both paddle shifts and it turns that on.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I could put a Lamborgini logo on a Pinto too LOL. Is there any other way to tell. I read how dealers sometimes try to pass it off as one. Also, I thought it was 2019 they came out.
I would be very surprised by a dealer doing that but you can also just check the VIN and build sheet. 2018 was the first year of the GranSport trim option.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Does this one still 'pop' from the exhaust when you paddle shift?
Any other options I might be missing on this one?

Anything to check/worry about when inspecting?
I al

Thanks for the reply. I believe this one has it I saw it in the pic under the sport button.

PS does do cars have 'race mode' like mine I hold down both paddle shifts and it turns that on.
I'm pretty sure the exhaust still pops when paddle shifting and in sport mode. It's a CPO so has warranty left on it. I would just check the maintenance history but I think they are pretty strict on what qualifies for a CPO car. Brakes are expensive so I'd find out when they will need to be replaced.

·
Administrator
2,498 Posts
Faulkner Maserati is pretty reputable. They have two locations in PA and I'm familiar with them.

The car looks optioned as a GranSport. The GranSport comes standard with Skyhook suspension ... which this one has. The Sport button you see is in all Ghibli's ... the lower shock absorber button is the Skyhook.

Looks like they replaced brakes, rotors and tires ... so that should set you up nicely.

CPO's have a pretty rigorous review of car, ECU history and accidents as Maserati doesn't want to get stuck paying more out than you paid in!!
Faulkner quoted the original MSRP ... you should ask if they have a copy of the window sticker or build sheet. They can also share the service history.

Tunes have come along way since 2014, so there are a few good ones that are proven on this forum. I did the ECU tune when it first came out.

2018 was solid buid and still has a nice sound, with the pop ... not as deep/raw as the 2014 which they "refined" in subsequent years.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you all for your continued input.

When you get on this can you 'feel' the turbo kick in or is it gradual?

THere are new rear lights on 2021, i ask if you can retro fit them to this vehicle. ( I like the new look)

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've owned a base model 2014 (smaller engine) and a 2019 S (larger engine).

With the 2014, I could definitely feel the hesitation and then the turbo kick in.

With the 2019, I feel power instantly - no turbo lag at all.

So I'm not sure if the difference is 5 years of refinement or the difference in engines.

·
Administrator
2,498 Posts
Thank you all for your continued input.

THere are new rear lights on 2021, i ask if you can retro fit them to this vehicle. ( I like the new look)
Slight turbo lag from WOT, but ECU tunes can reduce the lag.

Reactions: localbrew

·
Administrator
2,498 Posts
Can you hot swap the 2020 rear lights from the 2018?
I don't know. The body cutouts haven't changed. I don't know if any of the wiring harness and brackets have changed.
You might try reaching out to Scuderia Car Parts as they usually carry / sell those parts and have the diagrams,

1 - 17 of 17 Posts