Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've test-driven the car briefly with base suspension, and it was nice enough. Would really like to drive sport, but afraid it might be too harsh (NYC/LI area). From all the posts here, it seemed like Skyhook was the way to go, offering softer ride than base for normal mode, and closer to sport suspension when Skyhook sport was engaged. However, a visit to the NYC dealer has confused me. The salesperson, really nice guy and seemingly very knowledgeable, said that Skyhook normal setting is much "firmer" than base suspension, and very close to sport suspension. He said Skyhook "sport" is much firmer than regular sport suspension. This is opposite of everything I've read on this forum. Please help explain the differences you've felt in test drives or your owned cars. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
863 Posts
I have sports suspension, and i did a 500 mile trip, didnt feel hard at all. But i like hard suspensions, plus the cornering in those are very sharp.

·
Administrator
2,570 Posts
I also have the sports suspension and 20" Urano's and quite fine with it . As much as I like the cushy ride of the base it didn't handle well. Skyhook was on my original order list so I could dial in my mood,(soft, firm and stiff), but dealer found an available car with everything I wanted except skyhook.

In the end, I'm quite fine with sport and used the money for other Ghibli add-ons.:)

jeffkad ... what size rims are you planning to get ... that also has an impact on ride and handling?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BeerGuy, probably going with 19" Proteos to give me better ride and less blowout/damage potential than 20+ sizes.

·
Administrator
2,570 Posts
jeffkad, If I got the 21" wheels (and lived in a warm climate) I definitely would have gotten skyhook as a necessity. For 19" wheels ... you can't really make a bad decision between sport or skyhook.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a skyhook equipped car and love it. I am coming from German cars previously and didn't want to totally give on comfort sport but definitely wanted to experience as well. This is where skyhook really shines. I am really happy with how comfortable my ride is when I'm driving with family. And when Skyhook engaged, look out, this car turns into a thrilling experience. I have a couple of friends who did not get skyhook and honestly after driving mine, they wished they had done so. Having said all this, you can't go wrong either way as the Ghibli with 19s is a very comfortable car.

·
Registered
160 Posts
21" Wheels and Base Suspension

Hate to disappoint folks, my base suspension with 21"wheels feels just right. Not harsh at all. However, if you facing bad/weather-worn roadways you might want to go with 19" or 20" wheels. Bottom line, the base suspension is very nice. Cheers, Scott

·
Registered
852 Posts
I have a skyhook equipped car and love it. I am coming from German cars previously and didn't want to totally give on comfort sport but definitely wanted to experience as well. This is where skyhook really shines. I am really happy with how comfortable my ride is when I'm driving with family. And when Skyhook engaged, look out, this car turns into a thrilling experience. I have a couple of friends who did not get skyhook and honestly after driving mine, they wished they had done so. Having said all this, you can't go wrong either way as the Ghibli with 19s is a very comfortable car.
have to agree skyhook is one of the best options i got. bought it blind and glad i did however and really need someone to weigh in with a side by side evaluation........

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
aman, I'm coming out of a MB E350, which has a nice ride but floats a bit at speed and rolls in corners. My favorite car ever was a 2000 BMW 528i (the famous E39 chassis). I've been in roughly 10+ german cars since 2000, including several Audi A6's. Some questions:
How does the normal/comfort skyhook setting compare to your german predecessors?
Did you test drive a base or sport suspension in the Ghibli, and if so, how did it compare?
As for your friends, what suspensions do they have, and how does it compare to your skyhook?
Thanks much!!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have 20" wheels and sport suspension on my SQ4. I find it firm, but not harsh. I've had two loaner cars, each for a week. Both were base cars. One had 18" wheels and base susension; the other 19" and sport suspension. The differences are subtle and not very pronounced. I have no skyhook experience.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have 20" wheels and sport suspension on my SQ4. I find it firm, but not harsh. I've had two loaner cars, each for a week. Both were base cars. One had 18" wheels and base susension; the other 19" and sport suspension. The differences are subtle and not very pronounced. I have no skyhook experience.
Bob, great info. If you've tried both and see no significant difference, well then I certainly won't be concerned with getting 19's with sport suspension. How did the 19" sport ride compare to your 20" with sport?

·
Registered
852 Posts
am i the only person that doesnt feel any difference on the suspension with the sport mode on?
There is def a difference the ride becomes much firmer less roll in turns and of course road imperfections are more pronounced (although I never hit any of those with my baby LOL!!!) but when you are negoiating the twistys woh cares!!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Bob, great info. If you've tried both and see no significant difference, well then I certainly won't be concerned with getting 19's with sport suspension. How did the 19" sport ride compare to your 20" with sport?
The 19" wheels had a slightly softer ride than my 20" wheels. My car is an SQ4 while the 19" clad car was not. Not sure if that makes any difference.

One thing I noticed on the 19" car is the tires are slightly narrower than mine, and looked slightly narrow for the width of the rims.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Right, the base car with 19" wheels do not have staggered tire width, methinks. The SQ4 has wider tires in the back.

I have 19" with sport suspension on my SQ4, the ride is acceptable for a sports sedan. My in-laws note that the car rides too rough. I answered that this was sort of the point of the car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts