Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy.

This is my first time posting in the forum and it sucks that it's with a problem. I just purchased my wheels last week, but my motor gave up on me two days before they arrived.

I currently own a 2015 SQ4, what a car! I absolutely love my car and wouldn't change it for anything. Unfortunately, the motor blew on me as per a mechanic that I have next to my office. Since I am out of warranty, this is something that will come out of pocket :(

I have found a few engines online, but not sure which way to go. Some people are telling me I can use a Ghibli engine, but that my oil pan and harness are different and some other guys are telling me that I need my specific motor.

Can someone please help me with this? I have absolutely no resources to go to. I came across a new motor and tranny this morning for a great price, I'm just scared to buy something that won't fit.

Please help.

Thank you guys.

Luis

·
Super Moderator
2,181 Posts
Might sound like a silly question, but what makes you think the engine is blown? Is the local mechanic going to install it for you?
The Ghibli and QP engine should fit providing you acquire the S or SQ4 engine. If your trying to put the lower horsepower RWD engine there are some changes like the oil pan that need to be addressed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Might sound like a silly question, but what makes you think the engine is blown? Is the local mechanic going to install it for you?
The Ghibli and QP engine should fit providing you acquire the S or SQ4 engine. If your trying to put the lower horsepower RWD engine there are some changes like the oil pan that need to be addressed.

Thank you for your reply bud. There is a knocking noise coming out of the bottom of the motor. The car hesitates to start and it sounds really weak while trying. Once it starts, the knocking begins on the right side of the engine. The day after I lost power on the highway and got home with a minor knocking noise, the car left me stranded saying it had no oil pressure. It wouldn't drive anymore.

I'm not sure if he's going to do the work or I might take it somewhere else. I spoke with another mechanic yesterday and he said that after he gets everything in, it might not work with another engine if it's not the one made for my SQ4.

I've been reading forums about being able to use the engine off of any Ghibli, but I need to use my oil pan and wiring harness. One guy told me to buy a cherry picker and do it myself if I knew so much. Not sure which way to go here to be honest.

·
Super Moderator
2,181 Posts
It sounds like the oil pump failed. That appears to be an occurrence with the earlier models and has the symptoms you mentioned!!! Many believe this is a defect in the early oil pumps and Ferrari's fault, but sadly no Maserati campaign. Some dealers have helped out with getting some assistance from Maserati, but that is rare and typically when just outside the warranty.

Not sure where you are located. Some of the mechanics that left Maserati setup independent shops.

There is at least one person on forum that did this successfully with a low mileage engine from wreck and hiring local mechanic, (pictures in link).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts