Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Maserati Ghibli SQ4
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my "new" 2018 Ghibli GranLusso SQ4 in March 2020 with only 65 miles and a substantial discount. I was looking to replace my 2011 Audi A4 Premium+ and had spotted a few Ghibli's around, so I looked into them and fell for the car. The grigio won me over immediately with the same dark metallic flake gray as my two 2005 Chrysler Crossfires. I was gratified to find it equipped with the Driver Assistance Package, Power and Sport Foot Pedals, and 20" Urano polished rims. The only desirable options missing were the paddle shifters and the cold weather package.

As I wait out the Covid-19 lockdown, I am planning road trips from southwest MI to NY and SC to visit family. I am eagerly anticipating the experience of driving this vehicle on the open highway. So far it is the most elegant and optioned car I have ever owned and I am quite thrilled with it.

I decided to keep my Audi as a winterbeater for the real bad snow and ice storms, even though I plan to drive the Ghibli year round.

·
Super Moderator
2,137 Posts
Welcome to the forum and your new Ghibli. I'm sure you'll really enjoy the car on the open road and twisty back roads.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Welcome! Love the GranLusso! Post some pictures! FWIU, adding Paddle Shifters is very do-able. I think they are plug and play. There is a very good thread here with instructions.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Welcome! I just got a 2018 S Q4 as well. Drive it a little and try to keep an eye out for any small warranty issues so you can get them fixed quickly.

I had the below issues which the dealership fixed no questions asked:

-water in the rear taillights
-dashboard blinking
-wind coming through the driver window

Also if you have high speed bumps where you live, my dealership removed one of the two underbody support braces that kept hitting on bumps. Just in case you live in an area with a lot of bumps.

Also I think you'll be suprised of how well it drives in snow! I live in Florida but I heard friends that day it outdrives other well known 4 wheel drive cars.

·
Registered
2018 Maserati Ghibli SQ4
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
555, thanks for the info. I had a 2003 Audi A6 2.7T for 9 years followed by a 2011 A4 2.0T and they were great in snow. A neighbor who owns a 2018 GrandSport says these cars are almost as good as the A6s. I don't plan to drive it in the really bad weather - I kept my A4 as a winter-beater. No problems yet but only 1050 miles and not much of an opportunity to go anywhere with lockdown in MI. Hope to take a road strip to upstate NY this summer and SC this fall. So far it is fun to drive and a joy to look at. Had the windows tinted today and it really looks sharp.

·
Registered
34 Posts
555, thanks for the info. I had a 2003 Audi A6 2.7T for 9 years followed by a 2011 A4 2.0T and they were great in snow. A neighbor who owns a 2018 GrandSport says these cars are almost as good as the A6s. I don't plan to drive it in the really bad weather - I kept my A4 as a winter-beater. No problems yet but only 1050 miles and not much of an opportunity to go anywhere with lockdown in MI. Hope to take a road strip to upstate NY this summer and SC this fall. So far it is fun to drive and a joy to look at. Had the windows tinted today and it really looks sharp.
Here's my car tinted out, 30% tint, 70% UV tint on the windshield and smoked headlights and taillights. Let me know what you end up doing to yours! Also I clay bared and waxed my car and it looks 10 times better, the last owner didn't take care of it.

Something I learned today is the car has rear fog lights! (never heard of such a thing 😂). I remember my first week I pressed it a million times while driving and only imagine the cars behind me seeing it flash constantly, make sure yours isn't on.

Oh and also when I bought the car the headlights were on -2 so pointed towards the ground! There's a knob on the left of the steering wheel to make sure it's on 0 and not pointed to the ground (not sure why anyone would ever drive it on -2 lol). And if you want better headlight bulbs switch to Osram CBB bulbs which give a 6k look and 25-30% brighter. You'll need that on those Michigan roads! (I grew up in Ohio)

·
Registered
404 Posts
Here's my car tinted out, 30% tint, 70% UV tint on the windshield and smoked headlights and taillights. Let me know what you end up doing to yours! Also I clay bared and waxed my car and it looks 10 times better, the last owner didn't take care of it.

Something I learned today is the car has rear fog lights! (never heard of such a thing ). I remember my first week I pressed it a million times while driving and only imagine the cars behind me seeing it flash constantly, make sure yours isn't on.

Oh and also when I bought the car the headlights were on -2 so pointed towards the ground! There's a knob on the left of the steering wheel to make sure it's on 0 and not pointed to the ground (not sure why anyone would ever drive it on -2 lol). And if you want better headlight bulbs switch to Osram CBB bulbs which give a 6k look and 25-30% brighter. You'll need that on those Michigan roads! (I grew up in Ohio)

View attachment 20355
View attachment 20357
View attachment 20358
Looks good dreamer. Those are the darkest smoked headlights I’ve ever seen. Maybe it’s the pics, but does that decrease the amount of light they throw? Maybe the reason you needed the Osram?

·
Registered
2018 Maserati Ghibli SQ4
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks sharp - nero is a gorgeous color but difficult to keep clean. I'm a big believer in clay barring and do my cars every two years - even though this had 800 miles on it when I brought it home, the first thing I did was claybar and quality wax. I read every page of the owner's manual and was aware of the rear fogs (I wish it had fronts) because my Audis had them. The GranLusso comes with LED headlights, so no bulb change nor adjustments. I am pretty conservative (when it comes to my vehicles) so it will stay stock other than a 35% tint on sides and 15% on the rear.
Maserati (post tint) 2020-0527 (2).jpg

·
Registered
404 Posts
Here’s mine. Fresh off a Ceramic Pro job. Best $1500 I’ve ever spent on a car. Looks like glass, no swirls and dusts off, including the wheels and calipers. No more wax, ever. Stock guy too, no tint for me needed. Windows are fine and with a black interior, they don't stick out like with a light interior. Tinting for me is cosmetic, nothing to do with heat.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Both of your cars are so shiny! Joe you even included the amazing sky in the background haha.

Oh yes if you have the GrandLusso then you have the next LED adaptive matrix headlights, I'm jealous!! That's fine both of you keep your cars stock so my car turns even more heads haha.

Yeah my model only has the HID version. And Joe, correct the smoked tint on the headlights and taillights are on the darker side. :(

The rear are all LEDS so they still shine bright. The front headlights before I even smoked them seemed a little dark so I think they might need realigned as well. But yup that's why I need the CBB bulbs lol. The CBB bulbs should give me back more than enough lighting, if not then I'll have to tell the shop to put a lighter tint on the headlights. I'll post the results if successful or not with CBB!

·
Super Moderator
2,137 Posts
I think two of the best things you can do for your car is a nice high gloss finish and tint plus a few add-on accents, (like lip spoiler and rear diffuser).
The pictures below are with 50% Crystalline in different lighting and winter / summer rims. I do like Nero, but it is really hard to keep perfect, (have an SUV which is imperial black), but the grigio maratea was unique in how it changed color in different lights and "hide" scratches. I had GTechniq coating applied after paint correction literally after driving car home from dealer. I also lost count on how many layers I added myself to keep it shiny. Sadly Black Pearl is no longer available for coating tires, but I have enough to last many years ... unique coating that lasts months.

Reactions: Dreamerr555

·
Registered
404 Posts
I think two of the best things you can do for your car is a nice high gloss finish and tint plus a few add-on accents, (like lip spoiler and rear diffuser).
The pictures below are with 50% Crystalline in different lighting and winter / summer rims. I do like Nero, but it is really hard to keep perfect, (have an SUV which is imperial black), but the grigio maratea was unique in how it changed color in different lights and "hide" scratches. I had GTechniq coating applied after paint correction literally after driving car home from dealer. I also lost count on how many layers I added myself to keep it shiny. Sadly Black Pearl is no longer available for coating tires, but I have enough to last many years ... unique coating that lasts months.
View attachment 20362 View attachment 20363
Very nice. For me it’s always a toss up between black and gray when I’m in the market. I gravitate towards a darker gray. And metallics are a must most of the time. I hear you on Nero and keeping it nice or rather hiding the imperfections over time. BUT, when clean and free of swirls, dings or scratches, to me nothing looks better than a wet black car.

Nero Ribelle is the most unique black I’ve ever seen. It’s got so many blue metallic flakes in it. Really different. I once bought a silver BMW because I was tired of a dirty dark colored car that shows scratches etc. Booooring. Silver is so vanilla, back to dark colors because they please me when clean. Silver for example doesn’t give you that wow factor going dirty to clean. In terms of keeping it nice, I don’t use automatic car washes and I’m careful about parking. And ceramic is a godsend to black cars.

BUT my favorite color is a color called Imola Red by BMW. I do love a red car, but it has to be the right red. Not orangy red but fire engine red.

I’m terms of mods, I always admired your diffuser and but am 50/50 on the spoiler. Need to see it in person and I don’t live in an area where people mod their cars for the most part. I’ve never seen a modded Ghibli.

The other thing is, the older I get, the more I recognize that I get cars, get obsessed, think I’m going to keep it forever and 2-3 years later I trade it in or keep it and the novelty goes to the new car in the stable. My poor BMW has become my dog car. Point being, got to be sensible about pouring money into it I won’t get back.

·
Registered
2014 GT MC / 2018 Ghibli SQ4 Gransport
290 Posts
View attachment 20362 View attachment 20363
looks like it's wet!! I definitely agree with all of you guys, a proper ceramic coating is money well spent and I did the same on my ghibli (opti-coat pro, which i highly recommend). that said, i truly think there's no better bang for the buck than good ole nu finish. that stuff works so good its unbelievable how cheap it is and easy to apply and obviously it's been around forever. i basically just use nu finish to touch up the opti-coat i had applied when i first bought the car a little over 2 years ago. if that's not smart to do, someone feel free to correct me lol!

·
Registered
404 Posts
looks like it's wet!! I definitely agree with all of you guys, a proper ceramic coating is money well spent and I did the same on my ghibli (opti-coat pro, which i highly recommend). that said, i truly think there's no better bang for the buck than good ole nu finish. that stuff works so good its unbelievable how cheap it is and easy to apply and obviously it's been around forever. i basically just use nu finish to touch up the opti-coat i had applied when i first bought the car a little over 2 years ago. if that's not smart to do, someone feel free to correct me lol!
Ahhhh, Nu Finish. Christ I remember being 9 or 10 years old and my father coming home with that stuff in the 70’s for the Lincoln Town Car. I was more excited than him to try the stuff in that orange bottle. I’ve always been a car fanatic.

Some pics of my ceramic.

Reactions: BeerGuy
1 - 14 of 14 Posts