Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

Forgive the dumb question(s) but

1) is higher octane batter for performance (higher than 91) - and is there "too high"

2) if there isn't any higher octane than 91/93 near me, is there a gasoline additive that is a good idea or

3) is it true what I've heard that they can be dangerous and/or have no effect?

Thanks!

·
Registered
41 Posts
All,

1) is higher octane batter for performance (higher than 91) - and is there "too high"

2) if there isn't any higher octane than 91/93 near me, is there a gasoline additive that is a good idea or

Thanks!
I had this question too since the highest is only 91 in my area. The manual states, "use of fuel additives, which are now being sold as octane enhancers, is not recommended. Most of these products contain high concentrations of methanol."

I'm not sure if there is octane booster that does not contain methanol. I really don't know much about it.

I become concerned when I was driving manual and the engine light started blinking when switching gears. I first thought it was the fuel. I use 91, but wondered if I needed higher, or if the gas sucked. Come to find out, after reading in the forum, it could be a cylinder misfire, which needs the spark plugs to be re-torqued. Either one could be the issue. It only happened once, so I am crossing my fingers.

·
Administrator
2,572 Posts
2014 Maserati Ghibli Forum - View Single Post - Gas Mileage

Here is some info complements of HQ1 on highly rated gasoline brands.

As long as you are using a good quality gasoline that is 91 ATI or higher you should be fine. Seems like many others use 91 with no problems. I've used Costco 93 octane for years with no issues at all.

Reactions: Spsesq

·
Registered
524 Posts
All,

Thanks!
Higher octane is better for performance. For example Gallardo TT get 1050hp on 93 octane but 1500hp on 117 octane.
You can't use racing fuel on stock car or else you will blow your engine. Now if you have a ECU tune you can mix a little bit of 100+ octane with 93 octane and you will see some power gain.

I have not tested the Ghibli yet but on my previous car if i added 93 octane from Shell i would get 0.1-0.2 faster on 0-60 time over 93 octane from Mobil. Although i preferred 93 octane from Mobil for everyday driving.
The gas you choose and octane level will make a difference on the performance and driving experience.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts