Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I have posted one of the activities I wanted to try was to take my car to the track. There are many events where after classroom training you can get your baby out on the track......raceway park in NJ is an example. These events are called High Performance Driver Education and are non-competitive non-racing events. However, unlike the past many of the insurers have closed the loophole that allowed you to participate in these events and still be covered under your personal automobile insurance. historically, many policies had exclusions for racing or timed events but not HPDE. However, many of the companies now exclude any racing or high speed events not on public roads. I have written confirmation that State Farm will exclude losses arising from HPDE events.

So OK just buy the coverage separately...........you will need Physical Damage for the car and liability for any bodily injury that you would cause to spectators other drivers or the professional drivers in your car........there are a number of companies that offer the physical damage but most carry a 10% deductible based on the value of the car and cost approximately $550 each event. While the premium is not bad on a $95K car you will have a 9,500 deductible!! You cannot insure for less than the MSRP for those of you with the wheels turning......

Liability is not available.........i found one program that provided $1M liability limit for $1,500 annually but that is excess of a sanctioned track coverage which you will not be covered under. The program was also designed for professional racing teams and similar organizations.

One person I talked to stated that every one signs a waiver of liability against each other (which you would have to confirm with the track you are going to) which may lead you to believe you do not need liability insurance but you still have exposure to the professional drivers at the track...........compared to the physical damage coverage, the liability exposure is much greater. Also, I ma not a lawyer but suspect the waiver may be breeched especially if you seriously injure some with a few children and a good career. I would want a legal opinion of any waiver to ensure they were ironclad.

So just wanted to let everyone know what I found as I saw some threads where people (including myself!) were taking to the track............I have closed the doors so sadly on taking my baby on the track.........

So if you are thinking of going to the track be sure you know what you are getting into and what your exposure will be! Good Luck.

·
Registered
112 Posts
It's interesting how insurance companies are really clamping down. If you have an "older" policy you might be covered at HPDE events. Check with your insurance company if you have an older policy -- you might be covered. (Don't take the word of your insurance person if they say no -- ask to speak to an underwriter who will know for certain whether you are covered.)

Also, exclusions are regulated by state. For example, North Carolina does not allow insurance companies to exclude HPDE events. However, it doesn't prevent them from dropping you should you submit a claim.

What doesn't make sense is that HPDE provides such great driver training that carries over to normal highway driving such that it makes you a better, safer driver overall.

All-in-all, if your insurance policy does have an exclusion, I would still register for an HPDE event, pay the extra insurance because the training is more than worth the extra cost to me. You have a high performance car, it makes sense to me make an additional investment in learning how to drive it. Someone (DD?) laid out the various cost outlay required (winter tires, Xpel, extra wheels, sound system, et al) -- perhaps it makes sense to add HPDE to that list as well.

Just my opinion, though

·
Registered
312 Posts
Thanks Ed.
Good to know before planning a track day.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've never had the Ghibli on track, but I've been tracking my other cars, that are much more difficult to drive, for years with no track insurance. I'd wager that 99% of the other people out there are doing to same.

The HPDE events are so well governed that the worst thing you would need to worry about is dropping a wheel and bending a rim. Once you get into more serious lapping groups, then it becomes a different story. At this point, you probably shouldn't be driving anything you can't afford to write off.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you are correct most people go to the track with out any knowledge they may be uninsured. You are correct that you should be able to write the car off. One way to do this is buy a track car. I have been involved in insurance for many years so there was no way I was just going to take it to the track without exploring the insurance options.......

·
Registered
112 Posts
I don't get it. IMO - It sure seems to me that people would rather drive at 80-100 mph and/or open it up for a few seconds and risk who knows what (tickets, injury, damage, accidents) as opposed to spending a few thousand dollars on something that would be far more rewarding -- not to mention satisfaction of learning to drive a high performance car on an open track. At the very least you would get the need for speed on the highway out of your system.

Don't be bummed -- consider it an investment in yourself that will pay rewards everyday you drive. Call up your local track and talk to some of the trainers -- they will steer you correctly. (no pun intended)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts