Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having several issues with my Ghibli....less than 4 months old and less than 2000 miles-

The car has been running rough....the dealer said they may need to replace
the high pressure fuel pump...but waiting for authorization from Maserati...which they are having trouble obtaining....The dealer has had my car for 8 days....the loaner...an Infiniti G37....hardly a fair loaner!!!!
thoughts, suggestions.....Thanks-

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
Firstly - sorry to hear that! Who is your dealer - that's not the loaner I would be looking for?

I don't recall seeing this problem in the Forum before; anderson_b76 also needs to be aware.
Can you provide the build date of the car for him?

DD

·
Administrator
2,383 Posts
Kahnco - sorry to hear of the problem. It is disappointing to hear your ordeal ... loaner and lack of responsiveness on Maserati. I would expect Maserati to be less controlling of the dealer service assessments ... unless dealer does not have the replacement part and need to wait for Maserati.

A build on doubledeetob's question ... is this a new Maserati dealer?

·
Registered
56 Posts
did they tell you they would get you into a maserati loaner eventually or expect you to drive an infiniti until it gets fixed ??

·
Registered
312 Posts
Kahnco;
Contact Karen Hayes
Consumer Affairs Manager
Maserati North America, Inc.
[email protected]
201-510-2369:
Monday—Friday 8:30am—6:00 PM, Eastern
Perhaps she can help you or at least become aware of the issue you are having with both the car and the dealer.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was going to post this subject in a new thread but seeing Kahnco starter and his reference to his car running rough I thought I would let the forum know about a problem I too am having in the area of my ghibli q4 not running as it should.
Some background. Car was delivered at end February and has done just over 3000 miles. Of that mileage approximately 2000 was a one off round trip and the balance has been mainly short duration about town type of driving, in other words the car is mainly a daily driver.
About a month ago, and without warning, the car started to misfire and run rough, the check engine line also came on. My dealer, Miller Motors of Greenwhich CT, told me to bring the car in immediately. By the time I drove there whatever the problem was seemed to have sorted itself out and the car was again running properly. Nevertheless the service team took the car in, confirmed that during test running they had detected a problem which had been diagnosed as coming from the spark plugs. The plugs where replaced and re torqued and off I went.
About a week ago the same problem started again, car bucked, mis fired and generally misbehaved! Again the check warning light flashed. By the time I got home the car was again running smoothly which was a little frustrating because you begin to think that maybe you are imagining things. Luckily I had a friend with me who confirmed that I was not.
Anyhow called Miller who this time sent a flat bed to pick the car up from my home. In a conversation with the service department that told me that they had two other ghiblis with similar problems but mine was the first to experience the issue for a second time.
Anyhow as of the time of this writing I am still waiting to hear what exactly the issue is. In an update I was told that they had not been able to identify any issues but were running more tests which were being monitored by representatives of Maserati who were in town.
In light of the comments made by Kahnco dealer re the high pressure pump I am now beginning to wonder whether his problem and mine are connected. I will update the forum once the car is returned to me.
Finally, on the question of loaners, I have to say Miller have been FANTASTIC. On each of the three occasions the car has been with them, including once when the windshield needed to be replaced due to it being cracked by a flying pebble from another car, they have provided an almost new Ghilbli as the loaner! They are also very attentive and extremely quick to respond to issues. So a shout out to them.!

·
Registered
26 Posts
High pressure fuel pump

Well Miller motor cars just phoned to say that after extensive testing they can't find anything new that would explain the last event. I guess time will tell if everything is running as it should but two similar events in a short period of time leaves me nervous and if it happens again I will have no option but to involve Maserati North America directly.

·
Administrator
1,301 Posts
is your problem randomly happen when the car is warmed up? or when its cold?

if its cold outside you need to let your engine / turbo warm up a little bit before driving otherwise the car will buck, hesitate a little for the first few seconds

·
Registered
26 Posts
High pressure fuel pump

Thanks for asking. On both occasions the problem has arisen after the car had been running in normal mode for sometime, so the engine is warmed up. I seem to recall,but have not been able to find a post from another member, which made reference to having had problems relating to spark plugs and as I say my service tech said they had looked at two other cars with similar problems which is what caught my attention. Anyhow picking the car up shortly and will see when we go from there. Other than this issue extremely happy with the car.

·
Registered
258 Posts
There have been some posts in the past that references the spark plugs being not torqued correctly at the factory, affecting some early cars, causing them to mis-fire. Replacing the spark plugs and torquing them to the correct specifically fixes this issue.

I've run into a different issue. My Ghibli began to idle rough on the way home one evening - this was towards the tail end of a 10 mile commute so the engine was nice and warm. There was about 380 miles on the odometer at the time. The engine struggled to keep idle at stop lights. As soon as I pulled it into the garage and lift off the gas pedal, the engine just died. Upon starting it again the check engine light came on.

My dealer (Maserati of Washington) was excellent - sent an enclosed towing truck to pick up the car the next morning, and gave me another Ghibli as a loaner. They kept the car for about a week, sending diagnostics data to Maserati and performing any fixes they received in return. In addition to changing the spark plugs, they also replaced a cam shaft timing module. If the timing module went bad and the valve timing was off, then this would explain the rough idle. They also replaced or cleaned the oxygen sensor - I forgot which.

The car has been great since then, but recently I've noticed that the idle dips down just below 500rpms occasionally. It happens when creeping along at a very low speed, or very gradually coming to a stop. I am guessing that some times, the engine idle logic doesn't react fast enough to maintain idle and the engine RPM is dragged down by the transmission coupling. It's not sustained so I am guessing it's not the same timing issue I ran into before.

Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The oxygen sensors in my car were also cleaned but no reference was made to the cam shaft timing module. I have also noticed what you describe in your last paragraph and agree it does not appear to be related to the timing misfiring issue. As you say fingers crossed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have had three Fuel Pump Failures incidents in the past 6 months of owning my Ghibli S; last time was just 800 meters out of the workshop when picking it up from a fuel pump replacement job!
The car keeps vibrating at speeds of over 120 Km (I'm in Dubai the U.A.E.). While the car was at the dealer I was given four different loaners, all of which were Ghibli or Ghibli S and the vibration is there in all of them!

I have heard that the fuel pump and vibrations have been issues with most owners in my region.

Any thoughts on this? I am seriously considering returning my car now!

·
Registered
863 Posts
Yes you should go ahead and return it. This car will be a constant bug to you and to make matter worse like you said most of the cars in your region are having the fuel pump and vibration issue. This indicates that the batch of cars Maserati is sending to UAE is crap.

Also i think the dealership is just changing parts instead of finding the cause.

More over you have posted this issue on 3 different threads, and i think its time for you to return the car and move on to a MB, Audi or Porsche.

I have had three Fuel Pump Failures incidents in the past 6 months of owning my Ghibli S; last time was just 800 meters out of the workshop when picking it up from a fuel pump replacement job!
The car keeps vibrating at speeds of over 120 Km (I'm in Dubai the U.A.E.). While the car was at the dealer I was given four different loaners, all of which were Ghibli or Ghibli S and the vibration is there in all of them!

I have heard that the fuel pump and vibrations have been issues with most owners in my region.

Any thoughts on this? I am seriously considering returning my car now!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Maserati has now offered me 2 extra warranty years and 1 more service for free (over and above the 3 years warranty and 60,000 Km that is offered by default - so warranty for 5 years and service for up to 80,000 Km) in order to retain my trust in their brand. I think this is a good sign from their side which I have accepted with the condition that if the fuel pump issue happens again they would take back my car with no depreciation of the purchase price which they have accepted!
Car is still in the workshop waiting for parts but will keep you all updated on the progress.

As for sending a batch of crappy cars ... I assure you that would be a huge mistake as the region is the biggest market for the Italians

I already have a Porsche and a MB; thought I would go for the Maserati for more enjoyment, let's hope this is fixed soon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same issue, they said that need to change the fuel pump.

They did not gave me a loaner, nor a rental car. and now it has being 9 days with the car in the garage

Mine is a Ghibli 2007 with less than 3000 miles

1 - 20 of 21 Posts