Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I am actually a soon-to-be quattroporte owner in a weeks time but since this is clearly HHR best forum for Maseratis, and the Ghibli is a very close cousin, I will pose my question here.

Is there a way to lock the trunk or disable the trunk release from the interior? In my past BMW 750Li, I could disable the trunk then lock the glovebox leaving the valet with the fob and no access to my secured trunk.

It would seem this is not possible with Maseratis? If so, why have a emergency valet key? Also, I noticed that a lot of dealers list "illuminated locked glove box" as a car feature in addition to referring to a "valet function"

I live in Vegas and cannot help avoiding the use of valets, despite the risk to my car. I just would like to be able to lock things in the trunk, a feature I thought would be a non brained for such a high end vehicle :(

·
Registered
695 Posts
The service manager and one of his techs at Penske Wynn have been able to show us every thing we can't figure out. Go ask Rich even if not buying car from them, he's easy going and you will deal with him for service, etc.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Please post again when you get an answer to this, as I'm sure I'm not the only other guy that wants to know. Bit of a pain that the glovebox doesn't lock.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ugggh, I will let you know tomorrow what I find out about the valet function. I am heading to my dealer to pick a shade of tint. When I asked Jeff at Penske Wynn, he did not know and had to research the answer. Guess I will find out for sure tomorrow but since he did not get back to me, I am thinking 90% answer is no.

For such a highend vehicle, this is quite an oversight. Countless times, I may have to go from work to an event that requires valet. I always lock my briefcase, laptop etc in the trunk and disable trunk release from inside the car. My Benz and BMW had this before, S class and 750Li. With all the thought they put into the compartments and usb outlets, how can they forget a lockable glove box?!?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, just got back from the dealer today and can confirm that there is no way to disable trunk release (via i.e. locked glove box) in either the Ghibli or QP.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Sometimes I feel dealers should give customers a walk through key things like this, since not many of us actually dig into the owners manual on this stuff.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tried to find a solution and may have come up with one, if not ideal, option. Amazon sells lockable storage lockers that can be placed in the QP or Ghibli trunk. It will hold a briefcase or two. The idea is that valets are less likely to risk their jobs to steal a large trunk, being that it is very conspicuous and that they cannot confirm if anything valuable is actually inside.

This is definitely not a good solution but I may have to resort to it sadly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
if u live in miami or fort laderdale u can get a custom trunk-lock and for glove box!! in Specialty Automotive Treatments, im going to custom a few things for my new ghibi!!!

·
Administrator
1,301 Posts
OK, just got back from the dealer today and can confirm that there is no way to disable trunk release (via i.e. locked glove box) in either the Ghibli or QP.
there are only 2 ways to release the trunk on a dead battery or disconnected battery.

you must open the hood, go to the passenger side and find the "red" terminal box. once you find the red box, pop the cover off and hook up an alternate power source, ie jumper cable, jump box, etc. from there you can release the trunk using your key fob or via the trunk release button inside the cabin.

second is to pull down your back seats, crawl into the trunk and find the trunk escape pull tab. the tab is located on the trunk lid. you will need a flashlight to find it. this option is really not an option for a grown adult unless you are a midget.

these are the only ways to open the trunk. the ghibli does not have any emergency trunk release pull tabs / buttons that you can access from inside the cabin.

anyone attempting to reset the car's computer or memory by removing the battery terminal in the trunk absolutely MUST remember to leave the trunk lid open while it is disconnected otherwise you will need to perform one of these 2 steps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts