Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sure every car has its quirks and issues. For what it's worth, these cars were definitely NOT designed as daily drivers.
The 10W-60 racing oil (for all 2018 and newer models) is telling you this. In fact, aside from the 2008 BMW M3 (high revving V8), there are NO other sub-$150k cars for sale today that comes with factory 10W-60. It's a racing oil that is meant for garage queens / track use, and come with many Ferrari / Lamborghini cars. Not even the Lamborghini Urus (and future Ferrari Purosangue) use this oil (they use regular 5W-40). It's that rare/special.

Yet most people seem to daily these cars. I cringe to hear a winter/cold start on a 10W-60 oil. It's simply too viscous.
Again, this oil is designed for extreme high temperature, abusive track use. Not Whole Foods runs in the winter.
I'm a huge engine nerd (worked on F4 cars for 2 summers in Italy), so this stuff really bothers/interests me.

Which brings me to my curiosity.
How many of you bought new, and thus have knowledge of the car's entire record?
Have any sole-owners had major issues with the drivetrain?

I bought mine brand new in 2018 and plan to keep it for 10+ years.
It's a 3rd car, so still under 8k miles and barely driven.
Could not imagine driving this thing in sub-zero temps with 10W-60. It's just wrong.

Reactions: ChiffonaRay

·
Registered
651 Posts
Honestly, I don't think it's neither here nor there the fact that someone uses 5W or 10W on cold start up. unless you drive in REALLY cold temperature, the range difference is 5ºC on the cold side, however 10ºC on the hot side, see chart.

60 is much better if you drive the car hard and live in a pretty hot place, when you stop the engine the temperature can rise quite a bit in the engine bay, so on the restart the oil will hold better if it is 60 than 40.
The Ghibli is not a track car, but if you do, the 10W60 will protect your engine better than a 5W40.
With a 10W you will have to drive it a bit more carefully the 1st few miles in a very cold area, than if you used a 5W, but the difference will not be major.
A 60 oil will accept heavier load than a 40.
If you live in an extremely cold place, you car will have to be parked indoors at night or connected to a pre-heater.

The oil discussion is a never ending subject, a lot depends on the driving conditions and the manufacturer's recommendations.
Remember these cars are not designed in Alaska, they are designed in Italy where it's never very cold.

If the 10W60 bugs you for cold start, use 5W50, a compromise.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Is there any information as to why the drastic viscosity increase in the recommended oil for the Ghibli, as it is the same engine and I have not heard of any specific bearing or piston/cylinder wear issues? As mentioned, 60 weight viscosity is almost unheard of today, and Maserati did not backdate the recommendation so what is different about the 2018 and later engines?.

·
Administrator
2,624 Posts
Sure every car has its quirks and issues. For what it's worth, these cars were definitely NOT designed as daily drivers.
The 10W-60 racing oil (for all 2018 and newer models) is telling you this. In fact, aside from the 2008 BMW M3 (high revving V8), there are NO other sub-$150k cars for sale today that comes with factory 10W-60. It's a racing oil that is meant for garage queens / track use, and come with many Ferrari / Lamborghini cars. Not even the Lamborghini Urus (and future Ferrari Purosangue) use this oil (they use regular 5W-40). It's that rare/special.

Yet most people seem to daily these cars. I cringe to hear a winter/cold start on a 10W-60 oil. It's simply too viscous.
Again, this oil is designed for extreme high temperature, abusive track use. Not Whole Foods runs in the winter.
I'm a huge engine nerd (worked on F4 cars for 2 summers in Italy), so this stuff really bothers/interests me.

Which brings me to my curiosity.
How many of you bought new, and thus have knowledge of the car's entire record?
Have any sole-owners had major issues with the drivetrain?

I bought mine brand new in 2018 and plan to keep it for 10+ years.
It's a 3rd car, so still under 8k miles and barely driven.
Could not imagine driving this thing in sub-zero temps with 10W-60. It's just wrong.
The oil change to 10W60 was for 2018 models and newer. The engine model number also changed in that year as did their horsepower rating. I don't have specifics as to why the change, but some have commented on lower oil consumption and better engine protection. There are a number of folks that put their Ghibli's through the paces like a Ferrari or occasional track car ... so they believed this would reduce engine wear in the updated engines. I would not (and dealer doesn't either), put the 10W60 in my 2014 SQ4. The earlier engines have "reported" oil pump problems that caused seizing and/or finding metal in the engine oil.

I've owned mine since new and it still drives / looks like new. It will be 7 years next week that I took delivery. Not only I, but my dealer has complete car care history, and to date no drive train issues. I will say, I'm a stickler for all the required maintenance and pay the dealer to do all the service, (except for car detailing). For a period of time, I had a pretty aggressive ECU tune, and the turbo's boosted pretty high (25PSI above atmosphere). It's a touring car, not a track racer, so these days it's mostly free spirited touring. For a while there early Ghibli owners were pushing for boasting rights on horsepower gains and/or track times ... not so much anymore.

·
Registered
2014 GT MC / 2018 Ghibli SQ4 Gransport
367 Posts
I leased a 15 SQ4 and bought an 18 SQ4. Daily drove both about 6500 miles a year, 80-90% hard city driving. No drivetrain issues to speak of. Drove my 18 around last month in sub zero F weather. Took longer than usual to crank and then warm up and for the revs to settle down after startup, but otherwise drove the same. Seems fine in the super cold and I've logged about 35k miles over 2 Ghibli's in the last 6 years.

·
Registered
2018 Maserati Ghibli SQ4
159 Posts
I have owned mine new since March 2020 - it was on the lot for two years. They changed oil every year and replaced the battery once. I also owned a 2003 A6 2.7T and currently own a 2011 A4 2.0T as a bad winter weather driver. The Audis always ran/run 0W-40 and the A6 had been cold started many times as cold at -14. Gave it a couple minutes to warm a tad and then drove gingerly. Sold it with 236k and it never burned a drop of oil.

I only have 7800 on the Maserati and tend to take either road trips or longer drives. It went from MI to CT and back in four days this past December, including some pretty cold weather in the PA mountains with snow. It ran fine. I just keep the revs low until it warms a little. I intend to take it from MI to AZ and then back through the badlands this fall, and count on the 60 weight to keep it well lubricated when running fast through OK, TX, NM, AZ, UT, MT, and SD.

My only challenge is the inability to find 0W-60 by the quart at any auto store. So I will pack some 0W-40 just in case although I expect it to be fine.

·
Registered
2018 Maserati Ghibli SQ4 Gransport
28 Posts
So wait, the Maserati model aimed for executive leases 4 door sedan is not meant to be a daily driver? Ehh, if you bought a Ghibli as your 3rd car/sports car, you are doing it wrong. Don't get me wrong, I love my18 Ghibli Gransport, but this is no GT or name your exotic car. The car is absolutely a daily driver and from what I have read here and on FB forums, lack of driving lends to more battery and electronic failures. It is what it is, a break from the norm BMW/Mercedes school drop off line.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Bought new in '14, maintained well, no mechanical issues besides the early recalls. I use Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40. Great daily car for me. Just hit 37k mi.

Reactions: HarvardLlama
1 - 10 of 10 Posts