Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

How much of the Ghibli platform is really shared with the Chrysler 300?

61K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Nova 
#1 ·
Some of the criticism of the Ghibli online is directed to reports that the Ghibli platform is based on the Chrysler LX platform, itself a derivative of a 1990s Mercedes-Benz platform.

How much of the platform is shared? Does anyone have any insight? The 2017 model year Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger are expected to use much of the Ghibli's platform, so I presume that the current Ghibli should be a significant departure from today's Chrysler 300.

This does not bother me much, but I'd like to be informed to counter the critics.

#2 ·
The Ghibli and Quattroporte don't share platforms with the CURRENT Chrysler 300 or Dodge Charger and Challenger. The Ghibli's shorter platform, however, will serve as the donor platform for the next generation of RWD Chrysler (and Alfa) vehicles.

Here is a quote from Autoblog's first drive. The Ghibli is more Quattroporte than anything else.

As speculated, the Ghibli is based heavily on the flagship Maserati Quattroporte, which is also brand-new. The two cars share brakes, steering, suspension and plenty of interior hardware. They also share the marque's new turbocharged V6 and associated drivetrain. All told, the automaker says the two have "45 to 50 percent" parts commonality. Technically speaking, the Ghibli is built on the new E-segment platform from Fiat that will be shared with an upcoming Alfa Romeo and the future Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger. It will also serve as the bones for the next-gen Maserati GranTurismo.

#4 ·
Hey guys,

I've compiled some quotes from various articles notating the Chrysler relation.

from 2014 Maserati Ghibli Sedan Rendered, Detailed – News – Car and Driver
While it's not confirmed, we hear that the Ghibli's architecture will draw heavily from the Chrysler platform that underpins the 300 and Dodge’s Charger. That architecture’s roots can be traced back to the Mercedes-Benz W210 E-class. The rear-wheel-drive platform has proven it can handle power, as it has underpinned several SRT and AMG derivatives.

from 2014 Maserati Ghibli First Drive - Autoblog
As speculated, the Ghibli is based heavily on the flagship Maserati Quattroporte, which is also brand-new. The two cars share brakes, steering, suspension and plenty of interior hardware. They also share the marque's new turbocharged V6 and associated drivetrain. All told, the automaker says the two have "45 to 50 percent" parts commonality. Technically speaking, the Ghibli is built on the new E-segment platform from Fiat that will be shared with an upcoming Alfa Romeo and the future Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger. It will also serve as the bones for the next-gen Maserati GranTurismo.

from Smaller 2014 Maserati Ghibli Details, Pictures Shared Ahead of Shanghai Intro - Automotive News
It’s rumored that the 2014 Maserati Ghibli is going to share plenty of its parts with the Chrysler 300, which wouldn’t surprise us in the least. Maserati says its base engine for the new car is going to be a twin-turbocharged, 3.0-liter V-6, likely the same 410-horsepower unit found in the 2014 full-size Quattroporte. There will also be an available 3.0-liter diesel V-6, undoubtedly related to the engine available in the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee and the overseas Chrysler 300, making 240 horsepower and 420 pound-feet of torque–pulling force–in the Jeep.

from 2014 Maserati Ghibli First Drive - Automobile Magazine
Main functions are smoothly handled by an 8.4-inch touch screen with Garmin navigation, virtually identical to that of a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Joke if you must about Chrysler's latest -- and hopefully last -- European marriage, but it whips the nav system on any Ferrari. WiFi hotspot capability also hails from Motown, not Modena.

from Maserati reveals the Ghibli - Autoweek
As well as giving Maserati the potential for a significant increase in worldwide sales volume, the sedan will also provide the basis for a range-topping Alfa Romeo model, which will also be built on the on the same production line from 2015. Elements of the Ghibli's underpinnings are also set to be incorporated on a successor to today's Chrysler 300.

from 2014 Maserati Quattroporte S Q4 First Drive - Motor Trend
Shifting from park to drive can be done without looking -- just slam the lever all the way back. Changing from park or drive to reverse requires visual confirmation either by looking at the instruments or shifter position, not ideal for quick three-point turns or parallel parking. We encountered the same issue with this transmission in that other Fiat product, the Chrysler 300. Hopefully ZF comes up with a belated, gated solution.

#7 ·
Considering that Chrysler is almost and very soon to be 100% FIAT, I don't think any Chrysler involvement will be bad, it would actually be a great thing seeing how many mainstream vehicles Chrysler, Fiat, and Alfa Romeo have as compared to Maserati before they even planned vehicles like the Ghibli & Lavente.

#8 ·
I still do not see how any one could consider Chrysler 300 a Maserati or a Maserati brought down by sharing a chassis platform with Chrysler. Other than the chassis and the Nav, Maserati is nothing like a Chrysler 300. The Engine is Maserati/Ferrari developed and made by Ferarri. The suspension is all Maserati, the AWD is all maserati and nothing like the other systems on the market (as I understand it including BMW, MB, or Audi) interior components - Italian leather etc. unmistakably Maserati. Fit and finish is excellent with some unhappy for the use of plastic in certain areas but they kept it under 100K fully loaded (ok llightly over $100K loaded with the B&W sound system) Engine mapping etc all Maserati and of course the exhaust note (in sports mode) what an Italian sports car is all about. In one of the videos the CEO was clear that Maserati's DNA will never change (time will tell but certainly for this MY)and if there are systems that they can use from sister companies they will use them but never if it changes the Maserati DNA. Chassis does nothing to change the DNA IMO. Nav well some will argue but my understanding from the dealer is that the nav system was tweaked...........probably sales talk and really the only thing that can be pointed to that is Chrysler and is visible to the end driver...........note the use of driver because a Chrysler any model is not a drivers car...........OK I know some of you are thinking Viper but IMO I would never spend that kind of bucks on a Chrysler............Please let me know where I am off here? Not going to matter because I just ordered so maybe I am having buyers remorse and am justifying my $95K purchase.....but I thought long and hard and almost went to my BMW dealer twice during the process..............so glad I never when to BMW!!!

#11 ·
This is not true.

The Ghibli uses a chassis design that is based on the LX platform, and the original plan was to use the newly developed Ghibli's platform as the basis for the next 300. I don't know if these plans have changed or not.

There is nothing Mercedes about the chassis used by the Ghibli. There are also no chassis parts sharing between the Ghibli with any Chrysler product.

I actually feel that using the LX platform as the basis for the Ghibli's design was a great idea since it allowed them to get great crash safety ratings.

#10 ·
Harald Wester said in an interview in a german or italian car magazine that outside of electronic parts there is nearly nothing from Chrysler in the Ghibli and new QP. The other exception is the middle part of the platform but the rest of it had to be made new.
Last year there were rumors that the Ghibli platform will be used for the new bigger Alfa's planned in 2015/2016. In the newest articles in italian magazines it says that these plans have been changed because the Ghibli platform would be too expensive. So now they write that the Alfas will get a completely new platform which will be used as well in the future Chrysler 300.
In any case when the german car magazines will test thouroughly the QP and or Ghibli they will certainly study the platform as well and then we will finally know what is true.
In any case: driving now since 2 days the Ghibli I can say it's a real Maserati.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.