Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, new member here, looking to get a 2016-17 Ghibli SQ4, but I want to get one with the Skyhook suspension. I tried looking up how to tell which cars are equipped with it, and the only giveaway (as far as I can see) is the Skyhook equipped cars have a button to the left of the gearshift with a picture of a coil, is this right? Because every single car I've seen in my shopping does not have this. And I've probably looked at nearly 30 cars now, and none have this button...is this option really that rare? Or is there something else that would indicate a car has Skyhook? Maybe like a VIN lookup site that would say? Any help is appreciated, US market BTW. Thanks!

·
Registered
2014 GT MC / 2018 Ghibli SQ4 Gransport
339 Posts
Skyhook isn't a standard option (except on Gransport maybe Granlusso trims) and isn't a cheap option either, probably why you see so few with it. Electronic steering was introduced in the 2018 model and all previous years have hydraulic steering (which is known to fail btw, mine did in my first ghibli right before year 3, failed twice in one month).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Skyhook isn't a standard option (except on Gransport maybe Granlusso trims) and isn't a cheap option either, probably why you see so few with it. Electronic steering was introduced in the 2018 model and all previous years have hydraulic steering (which is known to fail btw, mine did in my first ghibli right before year 3, failed twice in one month).
Oh really? Dang, coming from a BMW with hydraulic steering, I wanted to get something else with hydraulic steering...but I’ve heard the electric steering is pretty responsive and has good feel too! Plus the driver aids would be nice.

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
Well I had hydraulic steering wheel in my previous Ghibli MY2017 SQ4 also with all options, and now electrical in my MY2019 SQ4 gransport with all options too including the same type of ( Titano) wheels in 21"
And the ride it is much more smooth on the Hydraulic steering wheel, specially in bad roads, the car keeps straight and no efforts are needed,, with electrical steering wheel it follows all the irregularities of the road, it can surprise you quite a lot
What is good with electrical steering wheel, - it is compatible with all driving assistance, I use sometimes the Driving assistance plus, meaning the car really drive on his own, but due to regulations in the country only for 10 seconds or so and ask you tto put your hands on the tactile steering wheel, so what I do i settle a speed and press the comand for driving assistance on highway and I just touch very very slightly my knee on the steering wheel just to detect and I let it go on his own. ( this is not line assist that's something else)
Another point positive for the electrical steering wheel it is that takes less power from your engine as it use electricity and not a belt that is connected to the crankshaft of the engine, and less consumption too. ( Believe me nothing that is really noticeable)

the difference between with or without hydraulic steering wheel, in the engine bay you have an extra reservoir for hydraulic, not on electrical steering wheel
see here my previous 2017 and now the 2019 model

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
and just in case both steering wheels from my previous 2017 all with all systems, and my 2019 with all systems, that one has one button more for driving assistance

·
Registered
2014 GT MC / 2018 Ghibli SQ4 Gransport
339 Posts
Oh really? Dang, coming from a BMW with hydraulic steering, I wanted to get something else with hydraulic steering...but I’ve heard the electric steering is pretty responsive and has good feel too! Plus the driver aids would be nice.
Just based on my experience with the hydraulic steering failing at month 35 and again at month 36 and my electric steering working great on my 2018 Ghibli for nearly 3 years, seems electric (2018+) is the way to go especially if you want the driver assistance aids.

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
I never had problems with my 2017 and I am sorry hear you had that much problems... it is a bad experience for sure

·
Registered
87 Posts
yeah near 5 years with our 2016 and no prob with steering hydraulics. Car's solid.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dang ok, well that’ll be something I think about then. I like the idea of hydraulic steering, but it seems like it’s more prone to failure than the electric. So I suppose if I do go hydraulic I need to make sure I get the warranty too haha

·
Registered
87 Posts
I wouldn’t discount electric steering. The ZF electric steering in the Giulia QV felt super direct and way better than the hydraulic one in ghibli

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wouldn’t discount electric steering. The ZF electric steering in the Giulia QV felt super direct and way better than the hydraulic one in ghibli
Yeah, I’ve heard the electric one is pretty good! There was a review I was reading, I can’t remember which one, but it highly praised the electric Maserati steering’ feel

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
Depends on the wheels you have ..on 21"
Drive both you will be surprised
Of course I prefer the electrical one due to all features coming with it
But the ride was much smoother on hydraulic
On 20 " it is better with electrical

·
Registered
2018 Maserati Ghibli SQ4
87 Posts
In 2018 the Ghibli switched to electric steering to prepare for future autonomous driving. I agree that hydraulic steering can "dampen" some of the rough feedback from a road, but you become used to the Ghibli steering feel pretty quickly. I think it is very responsive, sometimes too much so, compared to my 10-15 yo German cars with hydraulic steering. The electric also allows the implementation of the tactile feedback for lane departure and other features of the DAP. I tend to keep them tuned to "warning only" because they can be intrusive. I don't like to have the wheel yanked because I am too close to the center line when I am deliberately avoiding a depressed manhole cover (poor thing) that always seems to be in the tire lanes.

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
Agree with you ..I switched off the Lone Assist fonction that steer the wheel very surprising and sometimes I need to go to the line for some reason and yhe car "fights" with me, so now I get just a visual sign that is all
But one thing fabulous is with the driving assistant plus on highways that system steers the car and it is quite accurate.. I use it sometimes for 30 40 miles in a row without using the steering wheel with my hands
Just touching a bit with my knee to make contact with the steering wheel

·
Registered
2018 Maserati Ghibli SQ4
87 Posts
I do not think driving assistant+ is available in the states yet. I am not sure I am ready for that much autonomy in my car. I find myself enjoying driving my winter A4 (MT6) with all the required gear shifting. I found the collision detection warning handy on my recent 1600 mile trip from Michigan to Connecticut and back. I had to turn it to one bar because it over reacted when some moron would pull into my 8-car length buffer, and a lot of time it would slow me down so gradually when approaching a slower car, that I did not realize it and found myself going 10-15 miles under my normal law-breaking speed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, new member here, looking to get a 2016-17 Ghibli SQ4, but I want to get one with the Skyhook suspension. I tried looking up how to tell which cars are equipped with it, and the only giveaway (as far as I can see) is the Skyhook equipped cars have a button to the left of the gearshift with a picture of a coil, is this right? Because every single car I've seen in my shopping does not have this. And I've probably looked at nearly 30 cars now, and none have this button...is this option really that rare? Or is there something else that would indicate a car has Skyhook? Maybe like a VIN lookup site that would say? Any help is appreciated, US market BTW. Thanks!
ALL SQ 4 Models have sky hook suspension.

·
Registered
2018 Maserati Ghibli SQ4
87 Posts
Sorry but, NO, they don't. My 2018 GranLusso SQ4 has the standard suspension. MY18 and later GranSport SQ4s have the Skyhook per the brochures and website.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts