Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
I thing the throttle response is much quicker and the exhaust valves open to enable a fantastic melody but not sure there is more HP... Then again I am no expert...
On my M5 I had 507bhp when in sport mode and "only" 400 in normal mode but I don't thing Ghibli makes this kind of difference...

Reactions: lucmed and Mangirek

·
Registered
357 Posts
Is it true that the Ghibli gives more horse power in Sport Mode. If yes, how much?
Have not heard of that. In sport mode suspension gets stiffer, shifts through gears faster and exhaust note is throatier. I don't think HP changes. Will have to wait for the car Gurus on this one.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Guys you need to first understand where all the HP is coming from. See the car has all that power but it only generate or lets say come when a car is in a certain range of RPM. 410 HP does not mean the Car is running or generating that HP all the time.

Now having said that, there is no change in HP when you turn on or off the sports mode. If you are in certain rpm range the car generate that much HP. Now how to engine delivers it to the wheel is a completely different story.

In sports mode the suspension stiffens (i think its for skyhook enabled cars), valve opens. transmission is quicker but the car will do the same HP as it will do in any normal driving mode.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Are you guys sure about the stiffer suspension in the sport mode? My sales guy said no, but I hope he was wrong :) I can't tell the diffference since I am addicted to the sport mode exhaust sound :)

·
Registered
863 Posts
To be honest, i have heard it but i dont think so the suspension becomes stiffer. I think it only applies to the models with Skyhook.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I heard that it only affects the exhaust and transmission and that I can easily confirm by my driving experience - and I really enjoy it.
PeB reminded me about one of the Top Gear episodes where BMW M5 was reviewed :) It was a pretty funny review where the whole perception of the car dramaticaly changed with the M button in :)

·
Registered
283 Posts
Guys you need to first understand where all the HP is coming from. See the car has all that power but it only generate or lets say come when a car is in a certain range of RPM. 410 HP does not mean the Car is running or generating that HP all the time.

Now having said that, there is no change in HP when you turn on or off the sports mode. If you are in certain rpm range the car generate that much HP. Now how to engine delivers it to the wheel is a completely different story.

In sports mode the suspension stiffens (i think its for skyhook enabled cars), valve opens. transmission is quicker but the car will do the same HP as it will do in any normal driving mode.
How do you know if your car has the skyhook enable featured because i dont feel any difference between sport or regular mode on the suspension for my Q4.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I heard that it only affects the exhaust and transmission and that I can easily confirm by my driving experience - and I really enjoy it.
PeB reminded me about one of the Top Gear episodes where BMW M5 was reviewed
It was a pretty funny review where the whole perception of the car dramaticaly changed with the M button in
Yep .... I love top gear

·
Registered
214 Posts
What I believe it does is change the torque curve slightly so that more torque is available at a lower rpm.

The S engine produces 406 lb-ft between 4500-5000 RPM but in Sport Mode all that torque is available at just 1750 rpm which makes a big difference in how the car feels. I noticed that the torque peaks at 4500 rpm in sport vs. 5000 rpm in normal. There's always a trade off but in this case it's a no-brainer.

Similarly, the base engine has 369 lb-ft at 4500 rpm and in Sport Mode it's all available at 1750 rpm.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
863 Posts
if you have Skyhook installed you will see a small button next to the gear lever. the button is the last button after the sports button.

How do you know if your car has the skyhook enable featured because i dont feel any difference between sport or regular mode on the suspension for my Q4.

·
Registered
283 Posts
if you have Skyhook installed you will see a small button next to the gear lever. the button is the last button after the sports button.
ah..that explains why i dont feel anything.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts