Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2014 Ghibli S Q4 with 41,000 miles in perfect condition with no accidents. All updates were completed.

After signing all paper work I drove off the lot and made it 1/2 mile when car started shaking and check engine light came on. I barely had enough power to make it up the exit ramp. I was in a very dangerous situation with cars going 70mph around me. Got it back to dealer, Porsche, and they are plugging it in and checking it. I signed docs that said no warranty and once I leave lot I can’t bring it back. Freaking out. Not sure how this will be handled. Not sure my recourse.

Is this common? Should I run? Any ideas on issue?

·
Administrator
2,297 Posts
I wouldn't say its common in all Ghibli's, but the early MY14 and 15's were more prone to check engine lights from cylinder misfires. You (and dealer) can see fault with a code reader. Cause, can vary. In some cases, you could have your exact description, shutdown car and restart with no issues, (which was my only occurrence in 2015 with very few miles).
I'm suspicious why this happened as you drove off the lot and did dealer find a check engine light on and reset without completing the proper diagnostics before your sale? Some states allow lemon law on used vehicles if the defect are affecting its use, value or safety.
I'd see what they find and go from there. I'd also search your states used car policy. Hopefully, Porsche dealer has some morals if this is more than something simple to correct.
Sorry to hear and Best of Luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They will let me cancel. They found a leaking fuel injector. Repairing Monday and then I’ll decide if I want to cancel

·
Administrator
2,297 Posts
I'm glad to hear you have options and they are open to doing the right thing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Glad to hear Hi Tech is doing the right thing, but I wouldn't have doubted them. They're good folks. I've bought two vehicles from them (including a new Levante last week up at the Maserati store) and have some friends who have had great experiences at the Porsche store. Hope it all works out.

I don't know much about the Ghiblis, but welcome to the Maserati brotherhood!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just purchased a 2014 Ghibli S Q4 with 41,000 miles in perfect condition with no accidents. All updates were completed.

After signing all paper work I drove off the lot and made it 1/2 mile when car started shaking and check engine light came on. I barely had enough power to make it up the exit ramp. I was in a very dangerous situation with cars going 70mph around me. Got it back to dealer, Porsche, and they are plugging it in and checking it. I signed docs that said no warranty and once I leave lot I can’t bring it back. Freaking out. Not sure how this will be handled. Not sure my recourse.

Is this common? Should I run? Any ideas on issue?
I had the same problem with my 2015. My car was under warranty. The dealer could not figure it out so Maserati said to replace the entire fuel system. The car has been fine since the repair. The said the system kept dumping fuel into the cylinders.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I’ve said it before that it’s not worth buying used Maseratis. Mine has 36k miles on it since new and it runs flawlessly but I know for sure that by the time it’s close to 50k miles, it’s going to require major servicing and perhaps work. Maseratis are powerful machines that are built well and “ask to be driven” and thus need heavy expenses to stay maintained. People overlook those expenses and leave the issues unresolved and keep driving them.
This used purchase is a great example of it. The car looked and felt great but did not make it up the hill right after purchase.
This applies to every car in this class. My 2 cents..

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've had 2 QP's, a Granturismo and a Ghibli (all purchased previously owned with full service histories that I have continued to properly maintain) and they have all been great, giving me much less issues than BMW's that I have owned.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It depends upon your appetite of spending money on these machines. If you spend money on them, they will continue to run well. The problem start to arise when things are put off and it’s all downhill from that point on. Most used ones are in that shape. I did a lot of homework on the used ones before picking up a new one and truly that was a good decision as I do not abuse my car and that does not mean I don’t get to enjoy it. It’s a marvelous machine and I enjoy every moment of it!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Sorry Paul, can't agree with your over arching statement that All Maserati's must be purchased new because All prior owners beat on them or didn't take care of them. However, I would say to NEVER drive a high end car out of warranty. It's really all about due diligence and negotiation. My car was a dealer CPO. Full warranty until 11/2022, low miles and as clean of a used car I have ever acquired. $85,000 vs $38,000 with the same warranty as new, I will take the $47,000 savings with no risk. I would venture to say in my here parts of the US (Boston), most people lease these new and really aren't enthusiasts or people that are going to beat on them. White is not a popular male color here and 90% of the time I see a white one on the road there is a chick driving it, not hard.

Rule:
Lease New and pay for the depreciation only
Buy Used (CPO) and save the depreciation

·
Registered
22 Posts
:) I’ve never seen a “chick” drive one—seriously and I live in Washington DC area. Leased cars are the most abused if you look at the statistics as they are bound to go back and the manufacturer is bound to take it back as long as cosmetically they look fine. Either way, enjoy the Maserati and drive it everyday as that’s the key. If you drive it everyday it will last much longer!

·
Registered
465 Posts
:) I’ve never seen a “chick” drive one—seriously and I live in Washington DC area. Leased cars are the most abused if you look at the statistics as they are bound to go back and the manufacturer is bound to take it back as long as cosmetically they look fine. Either way, enjoy the Maserati and drive it everyday as that’s the key. If you drive it everyday it will last much longer!
It’s actually pretty hot seeing a chick behind the wheel of a white Ghibli. My director of HR has one. We can agree to disagree on the value of paying an extra $50 grand.

I try to drive it everyday. The bimmer is my dog transport car, so when he has daycare the Ghibli sits.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Life is a journey— enjoy the ride!! This phrase stuck with me as was a part of a Nissan Z commercial from early 90s and that commercial made me go buy a Z in 1996 lol. Enjoy your Maserati!!

·
Registered
465 Posts
You too Paul!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently bought a perfect 2014 Ghibli S Q4 with 34k miles on it and within the 1st 500 miles already noticed the ignition is trippin up and once the engine starts up transmission was smooth originally but now is getting stuck and timing is off especially in sport mode. In addition i am getting weird electronics sounds and a tapping from the engine with brand new oil and full inspection before purchase. Suspension is solid and just mostly just worried about the transmission (could just need software update) and tapping noises. The electrical issues i knew were an issue from the get go considering my front console chargers and usb were lose and not powering up.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I recently bought a perfect 2014 Ghibli S Q4 with 34k miles on it and within the 1st 500 miles already noticed the ignition is trippin up and once the engine starts up transmission was smooth originally but now is getting stuck and timing is off especially in sport mode. In addition i am getting weird electronics sounds and a tapping from the engine with brand new oil and full inspection before purchase. Suspension is solid and just mostly just worried about the transmission (could just need software update) and tapping noises. The electrical issues i knew were an issue from the get go considering my front console chargers and usb were lose and not powering up.
Mbkghibli14 - The tapping is most likely the high pressure fuel pump; it was a known issue for 2014 & 2015's. You should also check the battery voltage and make sure it's putting out the correct amount.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Mbkghibli14 - The tapping is most likely the high pressure fuel pump; it was a known issue for 2014 & 2015's. You should also check the battery voltage and make sure it's putting out the correct amount.
I am not sure the high pressure fuel pump ticking is an issue since there is no fix, more by design.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I am not sure the high pressure fuel pump ticking is an issue since there is no fix, more by design.
Correct, the noise is normal I was just saying the issue is that is creates a the ticking noise. I wonder if a newer (updated) HPFP resolves that though?

·
Registered
2014 GT MC / 2018 Ghibli SQ4 Gransport
322 Posts
Gotta get a good PPI before buying a used/out of warranty Ghibli, I wouldn't roll the dice without one personally

Reactions: localbrew

·
Registered
465 Posts
Correct, the noise is normal I was just saying the issue is that is creates a the ticking noise. I wonder if a newer (updated) HPFP resolves that though?
Yeah I was just pointing this out as you said "known issue" and I didn't want readers running to the dealer for a fix, like I did!

Reactions: localbrew
1 - 20 of 22 Posts