Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
i actually have no idea how to how to describe this noise. I thought is was the plastic or the cloth to the wheel well area due to a flat i had about 3 weeks ago. But, that's not it. I assume if it was an engine issue, engine lights would be on.
So here i am, because i don't want to go to dealer for diagnostics that could be a simple fix (I hope)
Does anyone know what this sound is, or where it is coming from. At one time, i thought it was coming from just passenger side. Now it seems its on both sides.
Car does have to be in DRIVE to make the sound, in PARK, there is no sound. Sometimes, i have to move the car a little (1-4mph) to hear it real well, as you can see from videos.
But once i am up and actually driving (35mph++) i don't hear anything. Not saying the sound is not there at all, maybe the actual sound of the car just tones it away. I don't know, I'm just assuming.

Watch vid and listen here
More examples here
Turning the wheel
Driving then come to complete stop

Hopefully you all can access the videos from the links above. Otherwise, i will have to find another way to share the vids.
Thanks in advance

·
Administrator
2,752 Posts
It does sound like a drive train vibration from something worn or loose. Especially, since you only notice when in gear.
You mentioned no sound at idle, but in drive. Do you hear the same vibration in reverse?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for response. That response just scared the mess out of me. I'm hoping you don't mean the exhaust. I've read years ago about something having to do with exhaust having a sound and requiring maintenance from dealer; i hope thats not what you are talking about. Now back to gearbox, do you mean the actual gear box it self? And is it accessible from the bottom? Here i thought that was accessible from the inside only..
As for the reverse question, i'll go to the garage sometime this week and put it in reverse, preferably tomorrow. When you say drivetrain, im praying youre not speaking of differential or transfer case fluid..
But, i will get that reverse answer tomorrow..

Thanks.

·
Administrator
2,752 Posts
I'm not thinking exhaust or waste gate rattle. I've not heard that sound and since it only occurs when car is in drive mode there could be a number of things from something simple that's loose ... could even be an exhaust hanger or something behind dash.
Out of curiosity did you put in gear and have someone listen with the hood open to see if it's an idler pulley or something you could pinpoint in engine compartment.
At this point could be a lot of things until you get a look.

·
Registered
15 Posts
This may sound like I am a crackpot. I had interior noise In my 2016 ghibly and checked everywhere for the source. This probably is not your issue but check your headrests. One of mine was not seated properly and made some of the craziest noises I ever heard while the car was in motion! BobbyG

1 - 6 of 6 Posts