Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was checking some pictures of those that change the exhaust ( not that I want, I am very satisfied with my standard one) but seeing a picture of the frame of the car I realized that the exhaust it is different

here is the exhaust from previous models SQ4

and here from my car, there is no middle center muffler, it is straight pipes crossed to the rear. Pictures from the front engine to rear --

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,055 Posts
Interesting observation ... Appreciate you sharing. I have middle muffler on my 2014 SQ4 too.
Wonder if was to reduce back pressure to slightly increase power.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I leased a new 2017 SQ4 and purchased a 2019 SQ4 Granlusso. The new car doesn’t sound close to the old one. I mentioned it the salesman about a month after I bought it and he said “just needs time to break in”. Well, it’s been almost one year and no difference. It’s not nearly as aggressive. 2017 made shift booms during all shift. 2019, I’m lucky if I get one short one shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear. Plan to purchase sport cats to remedy the situation.

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well something wrong with it honestly
It is straight pipe crossed.. no muffler or anything till the 2 last ones behind
I had 2016 (MY 2017) and the new 2019 SQ4 sound is the same more rattled on the 2016 but more louder when shifting up with throttle on sport mode and paddles in the 2019.. I cannot get tired of it.. I have a video of my new one but the car was new so I did not want cross 5000rpm .. but still that even brand new the sound was not bad after a year it is better

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Here a movie with the revs, again car was new and video/sound recorderd with a old gopro 3 inside the case .. no external micro. With headset the sound it is a bit better to listen, Watch after 2 minutes or so

·
Registered
651 Posts
That is really interesting. Very good find Geoffrey!
It looks like the resonator was replaced with an H-pipe for the newer models. It would be interesting to know how that resonator looks inside.
But, it's weird... I've seen a lot of people in the FB groups that are deleting that resonator and even replacing it with H-pipes and they claim to have a louder sound - they also claim it's better, but IMO it ruins the Maserati engine note. Even so, post MY17 models are significantly quieter and have a more sedate engine note with the factory exhaust - which looks exactly like the favorite aftermarket exhaust mode.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts