Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Maserati Ghibli SQ4
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In December I drove through tolls in OH and NY with my Illinois I-Pass sitting on the windshield ledge (not attached to the top of the window) and it worked fine.

Fast forward to last week and the same trip: the I-Pass failed to work either on the ledge OR held up near the top of the windshield where it would normally be velcroed. When I went over the mid-Hudson Bridge it did not work, but the tolltaker took it inside the booth and it worked. Another trip on the NYS Thruway several days later it did not appear to work (no indicator lights on the toll signpost), but I checked today and the toll was deducted. I called and ordered a replacement I-Pass.

Wednesday I bought a new NY E-ZPass and activated it that night, and attached it to top of windshield. Thursday I drove home and it appeared not to work in NY (no sign of toll activity on my account) and failed in OH (the gate would not open and I was given a paper ticket). I called E-ZPass and the Maserati is not on a list of cars needing an external transponder.

I searched posts and there was one comment about the windshield having UV/Noise lamination material. Most of the comments were for 2014-2016 Ghiblis -- there were changes in 2018. Do some of the more knowledgeable techies have any advice for me??

Next trip I plan to again try the device attached to the windshield, but will also hold it outside the car if that fails. I need to reduce the issue to the windshield or the unit(s), although it is bizarrely long odds to have two transponders fail at the same time. Or, worse, they work intermittently.

·
Administrator
2,457 Posts
In December I drove through tolls in OH and NY with my Illinois I-Pass sitting on the windshield ledge (not attached to the top of the window) and it worked fine.

Fast forward to last week and the same trip: the I-Pass failed to work either on the ledge OR held up near the top of the windshield where it would normally be velcroed. When I went over the mid-Hudson Bridge it did not work, but the tolltaker took it inside the booth and it worked. Another trip on the NYS Thruway several days later it did not appear to work (no indicator lights on the toll signpost), but I checked today and the toll was deducted. I called and ordered a replacement I-Pass.

Wednesday I bought a new NY E-ZPass and activated it that night, and attached it to top of windshield. Thursday I drove home and it appeared not to work in NY (no sign of toll activity on my account) and failed in OH (the gate would not open and I was given a paper ticket). I called E-ZPass and the Maserati is not on a list of cars needing an external transponder.

I searched posts and there was one comment about the windshield having UV/Noise lamination material. Most of the comments were for 2014-2016 Ghiblis -- there were changes in 2018. Do some of the more knowledgeable techies have any advice for me??

Next trip I plan to again try the device attached to the windshield, but will also hold it outside the car if that fails. I need to reduce the issue to the windshield or the unit(s), although it is bizarrely long odds to have two transponders fail at the same time. Or, worse, they work intermittently.
I've use my EZ Pass in my 2014 without any issues in NY, PA, NJ, and Ohio and that car has the laminated glass with Ceramic coating. I've used the same EZ pass unit in every year of Ghibli loaner without issue. As your aware, the toll activity can also be delayed too, but something seems off it's not working for you.

·
Registered
2018 Maserati Ghibli SQ4
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply, BeerGuy. I checked both accounts and no new tolls. The I-Pass that did not work in OH and NY on the way east worked in NY on the way north. The new E-ZPass did not appear to work in either NY or OH heading west. I will have to see if charges drift in from the camera of my car "running" the toll since it is registered to the transponder. Otherwise I will be receiving a new I-Pass in a few days and will have to test them both on the next trip into toll territory.

·
Registered
2017 S Q4
17 Posts
Was the issue resolved??

·
Registered
2018 Maserati Ghibli SQ4
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know...yet. I received a new iPass but have not taken any road trips since my return from CT/NY. When next I do, I'll be trying both the iPass and the E-ZPass (keeping them foil wrapped until use) to determine if they work. When I went back through my charges, I did find the original iPass worked on the one toll I hit on my way to NY, but the brand new E-ZPass did not work on the NYS Thruway or Ohio Tpk on the way back to MI.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts