Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my 2014 Ghibli, but the exhaust engine / exhaust sound needs to be a little louder, even when in sport mode isn't loud enough.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Have you compared it to other Ghibli's to make sure it is performing consistent with others, perhaps there is an issue with yours? Having been on the forum for a while now, I would say its pretty consistent that the exhaust gets rave reviews across all owners.

·
Administrator
1,301 Posts
look into either one of these exhausts, x-pipe, and sport mufflers.

larini
fabspeed

you can hear both systems on youtube. larini is [email protected]!

also i agree we need more depth and volume! listen to the GT

·
Registered
140 Posts
Holy cow! I was just thinking to myself that the exhaust is sometimes too loud. Don't get me wrong - I love the sound and knew what I was buying, but with all the attention this car already gets sometimes it's better not to call any additional attention to it.

Reactions: sverzi

·
Registered
34 Posts
Simple fix that will cost you less than 2 dollars and 5 minutes... Disconnect the vacuum lines from the exhaust, plug the hole and tie the line securely out of the way. This will keep the exhaust as open as you can get it without spending a ton on an exhaust... This is of course if you are only looking for the sound quality with no added performance.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Wow is right not enough sound????? I shut off sport mode late at night and on Sunday or Saturday if driving by the Orthodox Synagogue............plus I can make her sing with down shifting and upshifting in 1-3 gears!! Have to agree on attention...............have had two pictures a day taken by other drivers..........

·
Administrator
1,301 Posts
some drivers prefer to be seen, not heard.

some prefer to be heard and seen. nothing wrong with either option. if you have ever heard the GT w/ larini pipes, its hard to accept the sound of the ghibli. dont get me wrong its better then 99% of cars on the road, but its def not a GT w/ larini's.

to the OP, keep in mind the ghibli only has 6 cylinders so you wont be able to get too much more out of it. the QP and GT are both V8's and can offer that whaling sound that you are looking for. you can still make it a little louder w/ an aftermarket pipe and muffler though.

·
Registered
140 Posts
some drivers prefer to be seen, not heard. some prefer to be heard and seen. nothing wrong with either option.
No offense intended, just registering a little surprise as in my opinion the sound is perfect. I love the exhaust growl on start-up, though tend to be careful who might be nearby for fear of calling unwanted attention to myself.

I realize everyone has different desires and levels of comfort, which is why the aftermarket business does as well as it does. As someone else mentioned in another post, if everyone had the same opinion and taste in vehicles, it would be a very boring world, indeed.

Reactions: sverzi

·
Registered
258 Posts
Simple fix that will cost you less than 2 dollars and 5 minutes... Disconnect the vacuum lines from the exhaust, plug the hole and tie the line securely out of the way. This will keep the exhaust as open as you can get it without spending a ton on an exhaust... This is of course if you are only looking for the sound quality with no added performance.
Do we know if disconnecting the vacuum line to keep the exhaust open does not affect other things like proper back pressure, emissions, and stuff?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Do we know if disconnecting the vacuum line to keep the exhaust open does not affect other things like proper back pressure, emissions, and stuff?
It will not affect anything other than sound. This came directly from the Maserati dealership here in Cleveland.

·
Administrator
1,301 Posts
I'm not sure what you would expect to gain by doing this though since you would only be opening up the valves inside the muffler. You can accomplish the same goal by simply pressing the sport button which also opens the valves inside the muffler.

This trick is good for cars such as MB, BMW etc which do not come the valve bypass button. If you want the valves open simply leave the car in sport mode.

Cars these days are highly computerized and I would think that if you disconnect the volume control valve that there is a strong possibility that you will set off a warning indicator on the dash. In some cars the fault code will disappear by simply plugging the valve back in, other cars will need to have the fault code reset manually with an OBD reader, which for most people means a trip to the dealer.

·
Administrator
1,301 Posts
I'm not sure what you would expect to gain by doing this though since you would only be opening up the valves inside the muffler. You can accomplish the same goal by simply pressing the sport button which also opens the valves inside the muffler.

This trick is good for cars such as MB, BMW etc which do not come the valve bypass button. If you want the valves open simply leave the car in sport mode.

This is just my thought, am I missing something? Does disconnecting the valves do something additional that the sport button does not do?

Cars these days are highly computerized and I would think that if you disconnect the volume control valve that there is a strong possibility that you will set off a warning indicator on the dash. In some cars the fault code will disappear by simply plugging the valve back in, other cars will need to have the fault code reset manually with an OBD reader, which for most people means a trip to the dealer.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I don't want to "gain" anything, just toying with the idea of having the loud sound all the time, which is okay with me since I am driving this car almost exclusively as a daily driver so comfort/quietness isn't too important. While I like the noise, having the car always in sports mode is bad for fuel economy when I am just inching along in heavy traffic or don't feel particularly playful.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Tsk, tsk, tsk, A Maserati is not some toy to be tinkered with. It is perfect the way it comes out of the factory. Nobody suggests modifying the statue of David in Florence, the Coliseum in Rome or the Chrysler Building in NYC. No Maserati should ever be seen in the tuners shops being 'pimped'. On a practical level, it is best to leave them alone for long term value; on a cultural level, a Maserati makes enough of a statement by itself. Adding, modifying (more than the stereo) is like adding a vulgar accent. Given its history (Manuel Fangio, Tazio Nuvolari and Stirling Moss drove them to various victories), Maserati owners have a responsibility to honor it and respect it. This also means: be polite in traffic and with pedestrians. Maserati is not for everyone. Even if affordable, the Ghibli has an illustrious heritage and it is a princess among automobiles.

·
Administrator
1,301 Posts
Correct, not enough sound, interested a little more sound. I don't have the Q4 fyi, I have the v6.
all ghiblis are V6 bro!

give it another 2 months and both Larini and Fabspeed will have full exhaust systems available.

The Fabspeed should be done even sooner, he is almost finished working on the QP now. for increased sound you can throw on some sport cats w/ the Fabspeed max flow mufflers.

even more exciting is the tunes!

right now the only engine difference between the Base & the SQ4 is the way the ECU is tuned. base being 330hp and sq4 being 410.

once they are remapped that base model you have parked in your driveway we should be able to get close to 500hp out of these babies! they currently have an SQ4 almost complete and with the tune its near 500hp. since the engines are the same that same tune should work on the base model... the throttle response which currently lags will take off like a rocket!

good things ahead for us..

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'd be interested in a dedicated muffler control, but for the opposite reason. I find the compression braking that sport mode gives you to be beneficial in stop and go traffic. I'd love to be able to use sport mode and retain quiet exhaust.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Wrecked Em - are you referring to the engine braking as a result of sport mode holding gears longer? Why not simply use manual mode with sport mode off? This will give you the benefit of the transmission being in an appropriate gear without the exhaust noise.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts