Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My impressions after putting 500 miles/ 800 km the car is I am in love with most things, and disappointed with others.

Separating into criterias:

Engine/Exhaust/Throttle
I have had several fast cars before (C63, A45 with a tune, E63 AMG) and currently acting as my primary car, is a tuned Jetta 2.0TSi, which is equivalent to the GLI in US. I also have some special vehicles coming up soon >:D. Therefore, my parameters are not the best, however I found the car to be very fast, especially in Sport. It is not the fastest car out there, but it is fast enough for my daily needs, although I am disappointed. I was expecting more, especially considering the heavy badge. What I can say is it somewhere between the Jetta and A45. My old A45 stock, is probably as fast as the Ghibli. The engine is pretty good after 4.5k rpm, but before 3k, it feels only like a V6 car without any extra induction. But what ruins the performance feel the most is definitely the lag in the gas pedal without Sport Mode. To overtake, I accelerate a bit, and the car does not respond (due to the lag), then I push my foot all the way, and then the car comes in alive, like a mad man and accelerates more than I need to. In Sport Mode, it is faster than the A45 (I guess, not sure, although in S I killed one in the road), as the throttle lag disappears, and the turbo one, reduces considerably. The turbo also has some lag, but because it is big, and works at low pressure. My guess is a tune will fix both the turbo and throttle lag. Exhaust is perfect. It makes a wonderful mechanical noise, it pops in the gear shifts, and is magnificently loud. I have woken up the whole neighbourhood with it once.... The noise feels very Maserati, and conveys that you are in an impressive car.

Transmission:
Excellent. Very fast through the paddles, great response to throttle input in any mode, and it knows what is doing. The ZF tranny is a masterpiece, especially in this car. The paddles, are also big, and have a fantastic feel, especially in a warm day, where the air vents sends cold air at it, and it feels very cosy to touch it. The tranny is much quicker than the MCT from AMG, and beats both DCT and DSG but by a small margin.

Suspension:
Magnificent. Comfortable without being soft, and ruining overall cornering performance. It is very good under all conditions. The Skyhook is marvellous as well, as it changes personality a lot, depending on what you choose by the buttons.

Steering:
Light at low speeds, heavy on the road, having fun, especially in Sport mode. Very direct and precise, with excellent ground communication. Just don't know why magazines say it has no feel. Of course, it does not have the same feel as an AMG one, but still it is excellent.

Cabin:
No words. It is ergonomically perfect, and has the best finish of all cars I have ever owned. In Brazil, only Bentleys, and Aston Martins are better.

Equipment and media:
The MTC is not the best thing, but it offers about as much features as Command, or IDrive and is much simpler to use. The comfort equipments are excellent. The
electric seats are good, so is their ventilation, and it has all I need. I just wish I could have adaptive cruise control, and blind spot assist. I am looking to see if I can retrofit them from a Chrysler car.

Design:
One of the best looking sedans in the world right now.......

·
Registered
852 Posts
Great review from someone who has experience with many vehicles.......thanks for taking the time.............while I like speed, I knew this car would not be the fastest but bought it for all the other fine aspects mentioned above......thanks again for your review.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In summary

Love:
Appearance
Cabin
Exhaust
Transmission
Suspension

Dislike:
Throttle lag
Sound system (1,200W Bowers Wilkins sound system, does not have the quality the speakers imply you will find)
Lack of Tech items (where are the adaptive cruise control, blind spot assist, although it has park assist)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great review from someone who has experience with many vehicles.......thanks for taking the time.............while I like speed, I knew this car would not be the fastest but bought it for all the other fine aspects mentioned above......thanks again for your review.
You are welcome. I will get pics up of my other cars and the Ghibli, when I can. I am very pleased as you can see by the review. It is the best car, I have ever owned. Just wish it had an extra 50HP, and 100NM. The it would be the perfect monster.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Nice review.
Thank you and enjoy your new ride.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
This picture is old....
[/URL]

Tomorrow morning it is going to the dealer (once again..... Had to go before, because of the audio system not tuning to any Brazilian radio station)
Update for the audio system.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Great write-up, Carlos. I agree with much of what you said.

Any clue on the "special vehicles" coming up??

·
Administrator
2,383 Posts
Carlos ... very nice summary. Car looks fantastic under those lights!!
One think I noticed is now the weather is warmer in Northeast US, the car really feels / handles so much better on the road, (with the summer tires).

·
Registered
312 Posts
The more I see Blue Emozione over Cuoio the more I like it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
carloscars534's Library | Photobucket

This has some of my more recent purchases. Too many pictures to post, as I am a lazy person LOL. The picture of the Ghibli under darker conditions without lighting, playing with my brightness control of the camera. They are not the best to consider, but are nice pics...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I love the Ghibli. Had only one issue, already fixed, and a bit disappointed at the overall quality of the sound system, for the Phone streaming. The update is said to fix that. I will try it Tommorow. But it is simple things, compared to the issues I had with the A45 AMG...

·
Registered
312 Posts
carloscars534's Library | Photobucket

This has some of my more recent purchases. Too many pictures to post, as I am a lazy person LOL. The picture of the Ghibli under darker conditions without lighting, playing with my brightness control of the camera. They are not the best to consider, but are nice pics...
Nice collection toys Carlos!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Page 1 and 2, plenty of great Ghibli SQ4 pictures to enjoy. I hope you enjoy the pictures. I sent a video of the exhaust as well to my library but it is not showing up yet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts