Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

In the market.....

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  UNION73 
#1 ·
Man, I love the look of a Maserati Ghibli, and I'm pretty seriously in the market to pick up a used one with low miles. Living up in north Idaho, I'm kinda waiting till Spring to "pull the trigger" when there's not so much snow on the roads. And it'll have to be an AWD in any case. It might have to be a 2019 since 2020 and newer tend to creep out of my price range. I'd much prefer something with less than 20K miles....

I live back off a gravel forest service road with a couple of switchbacks (about a half mile down to the highway), and I'm a little concerned about the Ghibli ground clearance, which google tells me is 4.72 inches. But my Honda Odyssey has no problem, and its clearance is reportedly 4.5 inches, so the Maserati ought to be fine - theoretically.

What else? Is the cost of maintenance all that terrible compared to other brands? (I know oil and filter changes are pretty expensive.) Is there anything specifically to watch out for when purchasing a used Maserati? Thanks!

#2 ·
I would get a 2019 or newer because of the better shifter...sounds like a small thing but it made a big difference to me. I would also hold out for the stronger engine in the S or SQ4 since when you're talking buying one a few years old there isn't much price difference. And lastly, I'd give strong preference to a car with a documented service history.

#4 ·
Also agree with svelte and Londorh. But would add dealer maintenance is a little pricey as you mention and varies by dealership. If there is a good local independent you could save money over dealership.

I've faithfully used my Maserati service department from new paying more than doing things myself, but in the end their preventive work and no charge guidance has probably netted me neutral or better. I was an early adopter and still have my 9 year old 2014 SQ4 which runs and looks like brand new ... much attributed to proper service / care.

On ground clearance, the "reported" numbers are for unloaded new vehicles and will vary based on vehicle age, tires and suspension. I can tell you my SQ4 has 4" of ground clearance on the front end splash guard/skid plate, excluding the air flaps which sit at 3.75" from ground. Newer generation Ghibli's have more ground clearance, but best to check and/or see if someone on forum will measure their ground clearance.

Best of luck in your search ...

#6 ·
Ouch. Gravel road + Maserati. Not sure that is a good mix. Good luck with whatever you do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.