Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I test drove a base petrol ghibli today and really liked it.
Looking at specs now as may take the plunge, however:

With paddle shifters - the indicator stalk is quite far away so my question is whether people are actually using the paddle shifters after buying (or not)?

And do those with he paddle shifters just get used to the stalk being further away or does it still bother them?

(For everyday driving - a closer indicator stalk is more 'functional' but you can't have paddle shifters)

Wondering what people have found?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I use the paddles a lot, and don't find that they either get in the way of the indicator stalk or leave the stalk feeling too far away. I would definitely want them on a petrol for those days when you really want to "drive" the car.

·
Registered
480 Posts
It is an interesting design issue and I admit I have not seen or noticed the distance issue on other cars with paddle shifters. However, you get used to the distance after about 2 days of city driving and using the directionals. Now after three weeks of owning, I have no issues here.

·
Registered
278 Posts
It is an interesting design issue and I admit I have not seen or noticed the distance issue on other cars with paddle shifters. However, you get used to the distance after about 2 days of city driving and using the directionals. Now after three weeks of owning, I have no issues here.
Its probably because the paddles are normally installed on the steering wheel for most cars, but on the ghibli its on the steering column, whats the only wright thing if you wanna have a sportive car.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I use the paddles exclusively and have not had a problem reaching the stalk.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I use the shifters quite frequently as it is a lot of fun (and somewhat replacing the "drive" feeling you have in a manual transmission car).

never really had a big issue with the indicators, at first it feels somewhat unusual, but you get used to it pretty quickly, or at least I did. no issue once I had the car for a while

·
Registered
480 Posts
Its probably because the paddles are normally installed on the steering wheel for most cars, but on the ghibli its on the steering column, whats the only wright thing if you wanna have a sportive car.
Schippy,
Now that you mention it...I am now consciously aware that regardless of how you turn, the fact that the paddles are on the column, and do not move with the wheel, your hands are always in the right position to shift because the position of each paddle is stationary relative to the moving wheel. I would think that may have been a purposeful design...thanks Maserati. ;)

Steve

·
Registered
863 Posts
Spsesq, in my think you would be the last person i would doubt about not knowing this :)

and i am not saying this in a bad way.. if you know what i mean.. :)

Reactions: Spsesq

·
Registered
852 Posts
Use paddles 100% of the time and that the are fixed to the column is in my mind a excellent design point........the issue with the stalks is non existant in my experience........and have used the shifter but the paddles are the bomb! hand down or on the wheel LOL!!

·
Registered
480 Posts
I don't use the paddles that much...:crying:

My initial commute to my office is short and highway trips I use ICE when the wife is in the car. ;)

·
Registered
863 Posts
Loved the part "I use ICE when the wife is in the car."

Yeah when shes in the car its needs to be CHILLED... if you know what i mean... lolz

Reactions: Mangirek and Spsesq

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the replies. Amazing how passionate everyone is!

Will go for the paddles ( I do use the gear stick in my current BMW from time to time so expect to increase on that).

Only issue is, I have to order electric steering column as well, which doubles the price Apparently can't have one without the other which is a bot of a pain!

·
Registered
159 Posts
My past few cars have had paddles, so I had to have them in the Ghibli. My previous car had a dual clutch system with paddles, and the Ghibli felt just as fast and smooth if not better for gear changes.

I do use ICE on the motorways though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Had them taken off my car which has electric steering column
I found them in the way of the switch stalk
Can still use gear shift in a semi manual mode
Guess it is up to the individual
Car drives nice
I am in England and is v6 diesel 278 bhp

Any way hello all!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. Amazing how passionate everyone is!

Will go for the paddles ( I do use the gear stick in my current BMW from time to time so expect to increase on that).

Only issue is, I have to order electric steering column as well, which doubles the price Apparently can't have one without the other which is a bot of a pain!
I also ordered the paddles and was thinking a lot because of the must have electric steering and seats.
I do not often use the paddles, but I love them. It is an excellent design. If I wouldn't have them, I probably would never use the manual shift. But with the paddles it really becomes a true sports car.
So go for them, although it is quite expensive. ;) :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts