Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my car for about a week now. There is a lot that I really like about it. It attracts attention pretty much where ever I go - that is cool. It sounds sweet from the exhaust pipe. It seems pretty fast but it is too early in the burn in for me to push it very hard and also the weather here is not yet favorable for hard driving. So awesome styling and performance. It was exactly the form factor that I wanted - a fast fun looking car that could seat 4 people at a price point that I could live with.

On the negative side, the "fit/finish" and "maturity" of the production process is not there yet compared against rivals from Germany. Little things like the way the doors sound when they close (sort of lacking that tight seal clunk that most new cars have - it sounds like my bucks from the 80s. Bigger things like the miserable quality of the audio system: no bass to speak off, when you crank it up you can actually hear the speakers vibrating in the mounts, lack of song information on the large touch screen display in most modes.

Hopefully most of these issues will be fixed in short order. And hopefully this is not just the beginning of a long list of quality quirks. Who knows maybe I will fall so in love with the Italian-ness of the car that I will be able overlook what seems like table stakes for a lot of other cars that it competes with.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Went for a test drive last week and could not believe how noisy it was....mind you, I presently drive a Lexus 450 GS Sport which is as quiet as a mouse! Do you find your Ghibli very noisy, and I don't mean the lovely tone from the exhaust?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Went for a test drive last week and could not believe how noisy it was....mind you, I presently drive a Lexus 450 GS Sport which is as quiet as a mouse! Do you find your Ghibli very noisy, and I don't mean the lovely tone from the exhaust?
I don't mean this in a bad way, but complaining that the Ghibli is noisy is like complaining that Buffalo wings are spicy. It is for the people who want passion and noise in the car they drive, not quiet and tranquility.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So far (not quite 2 weeks) I would say that the noises the car makes are all the right ones. Yes, it is loud but loud like a race car not loud like an old school bus. I don't like the sound the doors make when they close (sort of sounds like they are being slammed no matter what). I do wonder if it has the fit/finish of a German or Japanese car and if not if it will rattle from a lot of weird places in a year or so. We'll see I guess.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I've had my car for about a week now. There is a lot that I really like about it. It attracts attention pretty much where ever I go - that is cool. It sounds sweet from the exhaust pipe. It seems pretty fast but it is too early in the burn in for me to push it very hard and also the weather here is not yet favorable for hard driving. So awesome styling and performance. It was exactly the form factor that I wanted - a fast fun looking car that could seat 4 people at a price point that I could live with.

On the negative side, the "fit/finish" and "maturity" of the production process is not there yet compared against rivals from Germany. Little things like the way the doors sound when they close (sort of lacking that tight seal clunk that most new cars have - it sounds like my bucks from the 80s. Bigger things like the miserable quality of the audio system: no bass to speak off, when you crank it up you can actually hear the speakers vibrating in the mounts, lack of song information on the large touch screen display in most modes.

Hopefully most of these issues will be fixed in short order. And hopefully this is not just the beginning of a long list of quality quirks. Who knows maybe I will fall so in love with the Italian-ness of the car that I will be able overlook what seems like table stakes for a lot of other cars that it competes with.
I think the lack of thud from the door you seek in the Ghibli is due to the fact that ghibli uses a frameless window design, and the window is not making the solid sound we're used to when you close a heavy door with a frame.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thats correct. Some parts are by the way in aluminium to reduce the weight. And Alu sounds different than steel. The factory in Grugliasco is very modern and "state of the art".
Not only the Maserati CEO is german but the director of this new factory as well. I think that the cars produced in this factory are better cars than the nearly handmade Maseratis from the original Modena factory. Time will tell of course....

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the lack of thud from the door you seek in the Ghibli is due to the fact that ghibli uses a frameless window design, and the window is not making the solid sound we're used to when you close a heavy door with a frame.
Yeah that is probably right. I do think it is neat the way the windows come down slightly when you open and close the doors and then slide back up into place to make the seal. I suspect that is in part to protect the glass from door slamming.

There are so few of these around that everybody looks at the car when you drive by. That's even more remarkable when you consider I live in the north where the weather is cold and nobody is much interested in anything going on outside!

·
Registered
284 Posts
I wished they had included a CF roof standard or made it available on a higher trim model, it is maserati after all and something like this would be expected of them. It's a good way to cut weight, stand out and add more value and wow factor to their cars.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts