Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Administrator
1,301 Posts
i would have just cut it and used a step down connector. you can resell it in the future that way to any ghibli owner. going 3" makes it usable only by you.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Tempting but I'll stick to my goals.

i would have just cut it and used a step down connector. you can resell it in the future that way to any ghibli owner. going 3" makes it usable only by you.

Its just that I'll never know what having all three inch ID from turbo back would be like. I would rather wait and be safe to know that I opened up the exhaust thoroughly (short of cat delete pipe) .

While the cat decision is a pretty much permanent commitment, the open larger air box plan would be an easy experiment to undo if I do not perceive improvement. Yet, there too I am finding packaging challenges in selecting a filter that is significantly larger than the aftermarket that I have boxed. I did manage to find one that is roughly 67% larger (filtration area wise) than the one I have for which I have to wait till the first of January to receive. Any larger would make it either too large for the space or nearly impossible to install. I think it is worth waiting on that too, rather than give up the project all together.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Follow up on air filter project

Its just that I'll never know what having all three inch ID from turbo back would be like. I would rather wait and be safe to know that I opened up the exhaust thoroughly (short of cat delete pipe) .

While the cat decision is a pretty much permanent commitment, the open larger air box plan would be an easy experiment to undo if I do not perceive improvement. Yet, there too I am finding packaging challenges in selecting a filter that is significantly larger than the aftermarket that I have boxed. I did manage to find one that is roughly 67% larger (filtration area wise) than the one I have for which I have to wait till the first of January to receive. Any larger would make it either too large for the space or nearly impossible to install. I think it is worth waiting on that too, rather than give up the project all together.
With only one larger oval AEM filter installed (the other is on back order) and both air boxes off, I am getting better performance. I can tell because I do the same one hour circuit of highway and city daily. High gear acceleration is stronger, revving at low speeds is freer, and I am getting better average mileage going the same speeds through the course. After the trip, the air filters are cool to the touch, meaning radiant heat has no time to warm incoming cooler air before it gets sucked down by the turbos. So the turbos are getting cool air and more importantly getting more air (larger passenger side air filter and unrestricted open air space around newly exposed (unenclosed) filters. But a little of something else is going on here. It has to do with turbulence caused by a concentrated stream of air upon impacting the surface of the filtration media as is suspected to occur with an enclosed ram effect intake. With a direct ram effect produced by a closed air intake, the focused air stream is not going to go through the filter as if it is not there. There is a signifinant degree of bouncing around the filtration media as well as pass through. Un-enclosed, the incoming air from the outside is not so focused or more diffused as to significantly deflect off the filter's surface, thus allowing for more effective air volume to enter the tract leading to the compressor wheel which means more efficiency. To confirm with an experiment, I took a sheet of filter paper and with a wet hand on the other side, I blew hard through the paper and then gently. I felt more evaporative cooling effect when I blew gently! I'm sure the AEM filter is better designed to take in a faster stream of air than a sheet of laboratory filter paper, but I suspect the two types of air flow exposures (enclosed ram concentrated flow vs. open diffuse from outside source), given the same AEM air filter, should result in a flow rate difference in favor of the open air filter. If there was no filter at all, it would be another story because the fast spinning turbo compressor wheel would actually be assisted by the more focused stream of air that the enclosed 'ram air' intake would provide.

To summarize, (in descending order of importance) performance /efficiency is improved with open air filters by, first, the increased amount of air filtered by virtue of the larger size of the filter (# of Pleats, pleat height, pleat depth see Air Filter | Turbobygarrett ) Enclosed systems as in the case of the ghibli (where, at that point, the hood takes a radical dive or taper) drastically limit the size of the filter. Second, by the intoduction of adequately cool air (even with exposed air filters in an environment where there is exposure to a cool air source (fast moving air displacing warm/hot static air/or fast moving air not being affected by radiant heat- see this and previous posts by me on this thread). Third, by providing unrestricted open air space around newly exposed (unenclosed) filters which means not 'breathing through a straw' as with enclosed systems. Fourth, by allowing for a greater pass through rate/amount of air which is less focused and therefore less turbulence or deflection prone than the focused stream of the commonly believed beneficial ram air effect of an enclosed system (I believe that a ram effect is more beneficial for cooling engine bay components such as cylinder heads, but will deflect off the physical air filtration matrix to reduce, to some degree, the actual amount of air that passes through the filter).

Will post more impressions when the other filter is installed.

·
Registered
2017 S Q4 with JB4 and exhaust.
31 Posts
Photos? Anyone have a long to a how to remove boxes link?

curious as to how the filters will stay on.

·
Registered
32 Posts
There is an intake opinion, however they are replacement air boxes with high flow filters ...and the boxes and tubing is made from carbon and are $1500ish, if you feel froggy.

I've talked to two vendors that are interested, but it won't be cheap. If anyone is in the Seattle area, let me know and I'll point you to the vendor.

·
Registered
31 Posts
There is an intake opinion, however they are replacement air boxes with high flow filters ...and the boxes and tubing is made from carbon and are $1500ish, if you feel froggy.

I've talked to two vendors that are interested, but it won't be cheap. If anyone is in the Seattle area, let me know and I'll point you to the vendor.
I have seen those and am not convinced a redesign of the same system would have any noticeable impact. Measurable yes but noticeable?
I mean the car is faster 0-100 with 1/8 tank of fuel vs a full tank. You can see it on the clock but do you feel it and is the gain that big a deal? eh..
At least if it sounded better, the only reason I put CAI on my cars, it is something you notice. lol

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am still trying to figuer out the post about removing the air boxes and only using the filters. How do the filters stay on, ect.. Would like to see photos of that.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have seen those and am not convinced a redesign of the same system would have any noticeable impact. Measurable yes but noticeable?
I mean the car is faster 0-100 with 1/8 tank of fuel vs a full tank. You can see it on the clock but do you feel it and is the gain that big a deal? eh..
At least if it sounded better, the only reason I put CAI on my cars, it is something you notice. lol

If you got rid of all the diameter changes and some of the silliness yes it would be better, not really noticable until you tuned it though. The car would feel faster but not be faster, basically.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you got rid of all the diameter changes and some of the silliness yes it would be better, not really noticable until you tuned it though. The car would feel faster but not be faster, basically.
Right, like tuned on a dyno with normal 93 pump gas. I do not see my JB4 taking advantage of a X-pipe and opening up the intake.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts