Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having only seen one trunk interior (ours), the upper area around the sub woofer looks "unfinished"? It is just bare metal, just wondering if that is indeed the way all of them are or did something get missed on this one:

Attachments

·
Registered
311 Posts
Having only seen one trunk interior (ours), the upper area around the sub woofer looks "unfinished"? It is just bare metal, just wondering if that is indeed the way all of them are or did something get missed on this one:
This is indeed how it looks like

·
Registered
114 Posts
Possible cause of "RattleGate?"
Actually, yes. As I posted in another thread, my dealer spent hours on the subwoofer rattle this last week and actually proved (with a video file they took and sent to Maserati) that the whole assembly rattles when the subwoofer fires which is the heart of the issue. They tried 6 different times to apply foam and tape but were not able to completely get rid of it. So they sent the video to Maserati for additional ideas. They have apparently responded with the some new ideas around Dynomat in a different way that they will try in a a week or two.

Perhaps they were trying to keep weight and cost down with the decisions they made about the trunk area?

·
Registered
311 Posts
That's quite interesting, please keep us posted on the outcome of this solution!

·
Administrator
2,572 Posts
I have the same naked looking trunk upper area. Which is quite different than my other cars where the deck was completed foam padded and insulated to create a deep bass.

I only had an occasional rattle when the car was cold (30-40F) last winter and once it warmed up it went away. This summer the dealer dynamated my subwoofer deck area and no rattles ... also noticed an improvement in bass response.

I have the rear sunshade too and wonder if that support structure helped with the no rattle.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Yes aluminum tray has been a problem. Wonder if they should Dynamat whole tray and then reinstall. While they are at it why not Dynamat whole trunk lid. Very after market look. Should give sub a better enclosure. Of course Maser would have to approve for dealer to get paid. As a group we should start to work on it. As a group it was us that got Maser to even work on sub issue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies & I agree it looks unfinished to say the least, but still love the car!

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have the same naked looking trunk upper area. Which is quite different than my other cars where the deck was completed foam padded and insulated to create a deep bass.

I only had an occasional rattle when the car was cold (30-40F) last winter and once it warmed up it went away. This summer the dealer dynamated my subwoofer deck area and no rattles ... also noticed an improvement in bass response.

I have the rear sunshade too and wonder if that support structure helped with the no rattle.
Would you have a picture by any chance?

·
Administrator
2,572 Posts
Would you have a picture by any chance?
Of the dynamat around subwoofer? Maserati only does a square around the sub, not the whole rear deck.

I added the Maserati Ghibli foam pad trunk liner ... not only for protection but to potentially help with acoustics from the trunk space.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Of the dynamat around subwoofer? Maserati only does a square around the sub, not the whole rear deck.

I added the Maserati Ghibli foam pad trunk liner ... not only for protection but to potentially help with acoustics from the trunk space.
Is that square dynamat around the sub visible? My dealer insulated the sub twice but if I look from the trunk, I can't see anything done. If you can see the insulation job from the thunk, can you show a picture of it?
Thanks,

·
Administrator
2,572 Posts
It's hard to see, but you should be able to feel and see the edges of the dynamat around the sub and all the frame bolts in deck.

You can also see the aluminum structure is removed and the dynamat installed (sandwiched) and trimmed around all the bolts in the back deck, (note the black mark ... tried to take a picture of one of the bolts with dynamat on edge).

Attachments

·
Registered
357 Posts
It's hard to see, but you should be able to feel and see the edges of the dynamat around the sub and all the frame bolts in deck.

You can also see the aluminum structure is removed and the dynamat installed (sandwiched) and trimmed around all the bolts in the back deck, (note the black mark ... tried to take a picture of one of the bolts with dynamat on edge).
Geez! That was a fast response. I nominate BeerGuy for president of customer care, Maserati. Need a second from some one. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
My dealer's Dynamat treatment was similar to BeerGuy's although it left some rather unsightly "overlaid" Dynamat (first image). Apparently this was to make sure the subwoofer was as isolated as possible around the parcel shelf mounting hole under the direction of the West Coast Maserati service representative. Like most of us are finding, this improved the rattling but not fully resolved. I've been informed that Maserati has informed dealers to "look into this for all Ghiblis with Premium Sound and not just upon Customer request" (not exactly sure what this means!). However, I really did not like leaving it looking like this and cleaned this up myself by trimming off the excess and taping over with DynaTape (second image). It also served to cover up the edges of exposed butyl rubber from the Dynamat. This of course had no effect on the subwoofer performance.

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hi MTAA,

your dealer install foam tape on the contact points to correct vibration and apply Dyna-Mat? The process takes a about two hours.

Thanks,

Howie - MaseratiCares

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi, guys,

Anyone has an idea what Dynamat solution / application actually solves the rattle issue? Since I am out of warranty and far away from dealer, I will be doing this myself and was looking for photos / tips on what exactly to do. Since the vibration in my case is coming from the plastic cover behind the seats, I was initially thinking about applying the dynamat to the plastic part. But now I see dealers have applied the dynamat to the metal bracket. Any suggestions what would the best way forward be?

Also, if someone has any tips on actually disassembling the parts, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ok, since nobody had any input, I had to do it myself. I was able to eliminate 100% of the rattle.

A sidenote about rattle gate: This is just ridiculous, the fix costs next to nothing (in terms of time and money), but what can we do, it's Italians we're dealing with :). I guess when they were designing the car, Luigi put the bass in, cranked the volume a bit, noticed a bit of a rattle and then it was lunch break. After a few glasses of wine he probably thought 'no one will listen to this anyway, they've got the sport button', basta :). If it were the Germans, they would do 100 tests of 50 different speakers and then 50 more tests to decide which application of vibration absorbing material would produce the best sound at the least cost in money and weight. But then, you buy a German V8 and it explodes on the highway. First world problems, I guess.

What you need:
  • 0.25 m2 of ~ 2 mm thick vibration absorbing material (dynamat, silent coat, ctk, any will do, I bought 0.5 m2 and used half of it) - $10 to $20
  • Philips screwdriver
  • 10mm ratchet
  • a few hours of your time
How-to:
  1. Lower all back seats and remove the side bolsters (very easy to do, use your hands to just pull them off).
  2. Unscrew the 5 Philips screws behind the seats
  3. Unscrew the 4 10mm nuts that hold the plastic cover from the trunk
  4. Here's the tricky part - you need a helper who can push the attached screws up from the trunk when you pull from inside the car on each side (otherwise, they catch on the metal holes). If you don't have anyone, push them up and try to slide them forward so they rest on the metal. Once the plastic shelf is loose, pull it all the way (you can rest it on the back of the seats). There's the stoplight cabel that you need to detach.
  5. Detach the bass speaker cable, unscrew the 4 10mm screws that hold it, and remove it.
  6. Put dynamat as shown in my ugly drawings. You need it both on the metal part and on the plastic shelf. The drawing with the more dynamat is the metal part. Dynamat doesn't stick as well to the plastic, but it's not critical, just press firmer.
  7. Enjoy!
Plastic shelf application (the dynamat inbetween the surfaces is actually applied between the plastic base and the drilled metal speaker cover):

Metal shelf application:

·
Administrator
2,572 Posts
I'm glad this worked for you. And appreciate you sharing with others.
I never had the rattle, even with the higher bass db boost, but adding the dynamat was recommended by dealer and covered within new vehicle warranty. One interesting thing, I and others mention ... those that had the power rear sunshade didn't seem to have the rattle. Not statistical, but theory was the increased support and stiffness of rear deck helped with rattle.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
I don't have rattles or anything but even with the Bowers Wilkins I fell the bass goes away somehow
and the upper part of the trunk has no Isolation, lot of holes etc, I have the electrical sun blade at the rear, I thought maybe that holes were for something because of that, but no

So I installed one, it is a foam that sticks like tape, now I can feel a better bass at the rear, not crazy but definitely better.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts