Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Honestly, if I had a 2014-16, I think I would consider one of these upgrades:

I always thought the 2014-2016 head unit and bezel/knobs look like someone put an aftermarket system in it. These Android solution look like they were made for the car and do a ton of crap.
This one is pretty bad tbh. It was originally designed for a Ford Mustang and I know that because I used to own one haha. All the knobs are mimicking the knobs in a Mustang with the Premium package. The graphics also look really bad and IMO this unit has no place in a Maserati. I bought a wireless CarPlay unit that uses a mux to switch between the displays while keeping UCconnect and everything stock.

EDIT: Looks like they took out the knobs in this facelifted version but the software UI still looks pretty horrendous. 1024x768 on such a big screen also has a pretty shockingly low PPI.

·
Registered
407 Posts
This one is pretty bad tbh. It was originally designed for a Ford Mustang and I know that because I used to own one haha. All the knobs are mimicking the knobs in a Mustang with the Premium package. The graphics also look really bad and IMO this unit has no place in a Maserati. I bought a wireless CarPlay unit that uses a mux to switch between the displays while keeping UCconnect and everything stock.

EDIT: Looks like they took out the knobs in this facelifted version but the software UI still looks pretty horrendous. 1024x768 on such a big screen also has a pretty shockingly low PPI.
Yeah, no experience, seen a few folks do it on the FB Groups. I have just heard so many bad things about the 2014-16 entertainment offering in general - from the audio quality, no Apple CarPlay, the ugly bezel and knobs and obviously BT issues. I think I would try to invest in a different system if I had these issues. Especially poor audio, which also includes more than a head unit.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Also, has anyone tried pulling the negative battery terminal? I gave this advice to someone here who PM'd me for help and he said it worked from a connectivity perspective.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Also, has anyone tried pulling the negative battery terminal? I gave this advice to someone here who PM'd me for help and he said it worked from a connectivity perspective.
The problem can go away or manifest itself between car reboots so pulling it definitely has a chance of temporarily fixing it. But it's not a permanent fix :(

And to respond to your previous comment, yes the 14-16 UConnect is horrible, mainly because it was developed before 2010. I interned at GM and they are now developing head units that won't make it into the cars until 4 years later, so honestly, by the time it comes out it's already a bit outdated.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I borrowed an iPhone 5S running iOS 12 and tried to scan for MTC while it was acting up. The iPhone 5S couldn’t find it either. This seems to be some firmware issue on UConnect’s side. I even suspect on certain boots the Bluetooth module either broadcasts itself with the wrong type or doesn’t broadcast at all for some reason. I’ll have to do more digging with my Android phone and a Bluetooth logger.

·
Registered
132 Posts
yep - had this problem a lot and figured out this will happen if you have more bluetooth devices saved in your parameters (my sons iPhone, daughter's iPod etc).
If the phone don't connect by default, I will hit the bluetooth icon in Audio parameters, and redirect to my personal phone on the list. it works 100% (iPhoneX MY2017)

·
Registered
2015 Maserati Ghibli SQ4
18 Posts
I borrowed an iPhone 5S running iOS 12 and tried to scan for MTC while it was acting up. The iPhone 5S couldn’t find it either. This seems to be some firmware issue on UConnect’s side. I even suspect on certain boots the Bluetooth module either broadcasts itself with the wrong type or doesn’t broadcast at all for some reason. I’ll have to do more digging with my Android phone and a Bluetooth logger.
I think you have described it perfectly. When the Bluetooth fails, nothing will correct it. The car simply stops sending out a Bluetooth signal. I have seen this issue with my iPhone 11, and 2 different android phones (Samsung and LG).

I usually will have to wait until the next time I go for a drive for it to correct. Simply turning off the ignition and restarting is not enough. I have also noticed that short drives (i.e., running errands) where the car will be shut down only briefly will cause this issue to happen more often.

Amazingly, I am still having this problem after the dealer replaced the handsfree module. This should really be addressed by Maserati as a recall.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think you have described it perfectly. When the Bluetooth fails, nothing will correct it. The car simply stops sending out a Bluetooth signal. I have seen this issue with my iPhone 11, and 2 different android phones (Samsung and LG).

I usually will have to wait until the next time I go for a drive for it to correct. Simply turning off the ignition and restarting is not enough. I have also noticed that short drives (i.e., running errands) where the car will be shut down only briefly will cause this issue to happen more often.

Amazingly, I am still having this problem after the dealer replaced the handsfree module. This should really be addressed by Maserati as a recall.
Agree it's not an iPhone software issue. I wasn't able to connect with an old 4s or 5s running older IOS either once the problem presented itself. Had my neighbor try to connect with a Samsung and that didn't work either. I hope someone from Maserati or FCA is monitoring these boards because this issue is extremely annoying and seems to be impacting many. I'm experiencing the exact same issue after the Bluetooth module was replaced as well.

·
Registered
109 Posts
EDIT: the HFM fixed itself after I let it sit for an hour
Great news: I have finally broken my UConnect’s Hands free system / Bluetooth and coerced it into throwing an existing error that many Chrysler 300 owners experience! Wait, is that really good news though? ...

So here I am, sitting in my Maserati on a Sunday afternoon with two phones: my HTC M8 (Android 5.0.2, 2014) and my current iPhone 11 (iOS 13.5.1, 2020). I first deleted all BT profiles and my testing procedure is as follows:
1. Turn the car into ACC mode.
2. See if UConnect would connect to my phone automatically
3. If it won’t connect automatically, I then try to connect manually.
4. If it won’t connect manually, I then try to unpair and pair again.
5. If the phone cannot detect anything, I then try to scan for MTC with my HTC.
6. If all that fails, I then shut the car down, open and close the door, then wait for all lights to go off.
7. Repeat from step 1.

I first conducted this test with my HTC. I spent half an hour repeating the experiment but it would always connect. I also managed to grab MTC’s Bluetooth profile and it looks pretty standard compared to a saved profile of a Ford SYNC.

All was well until I paired my iPhone. I only did 4 tries before my Hands free system bricked itself. Two tries were successful connects, the other two were unsuccessful BUT I was able to pair with my iPhone again after pairing with my HTC. Super weird. And on the 5th try, the HFM gave out. Here’s a picture I took:

An interesting outcome. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I wanted to see if there are UConnect updates available for our cars. However, the official UConnect update website doesn’t take Maserati VINs. So I went into the dealer menu and took note of the software version:

I simply Google’d “UConnect 15/09/D1” and it seems that there is indeed a software update with the version number “16/21/D7” which is a direct upgrade from “15/09/D1” as shown below (from a different forum):

I looked into the rather long patch notes (why haven’t we gotten this extensive update???) and one fix stands out to me:
“- Can not connect to the phone after it has been disconnected.”

Could this be some kind of BT fix? I don’t want to risk flashing the firmware intended for a Dodge Journey into my Maserati because further digging revealed there are different variants for the same software update.

EDIT: Further research suggested the different variants may simply be a styling thing that applies to different vehicles. The extensions I’ve seen so far are JC, JF, LD, LX, and they simply refer to different car models, as shown below:

So in this case, Dodge Journey and Fiat Freemont share the same update and Chrysler 300/300C and Dodge Charger share the same update. For those of you who did the Garmin downgrade, you may remember the CTP13 firmware we used is from the Dodge Charger forums. This leads me to believe the UConnect updated with the LX_LD extension may also work with our Ghibli. MTC is literally just a theme.

Fun observation: while Levante has its own designation W6, the Ghibli and QP don’t.

See the relevant update below (Looked for
a 2014 Charger with the same radio on CarGurus):

A photo of the radio of the Charger in question. As you can see, basically identical:

·
Registered
2015 Maserati Ghibli SQ4
18 Posts
A firmware update sounds promising. Replacing the hardware didn't make any improvement for me. I have a bad feeling that Maserati simply gave up on the system and replaced it with the MTC+ system on the later model cars.

I was planning on getting a wireless Carplay system installed after getting the stock system fixed. Since it seems like that will be an exercise in futility, its time for me to go ahead with Carplay.

·
Registered
109 Posts
A firmware update sounds promising. Replacing the hardware didn't make any improvement for me. I have a bad feeling that Maserati simply gave up on the system and replaced it with the MTC+ system on the later model cars.

I was planning on getting a wireless Carplay system installed after getting the stock system fixed. Since it seems like that will be an exercise in futility, its time for me to go ahead with Carplay.
I agree, I think they just gave up. I’ll download the update for Charger and see if my UConnect takes it. I won’t actually go through with it at the moment - I’m just going to see if the system recognizes and lets me do it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
An update on my attempt to update the UnConnect myself:

I downloaded the update image for a 2014 Dodge Charger with a matching RB5 unit. The downloaded zip file is simply named "UCONNECT_8.4_RADIO_16.21.D7_MY14-16.zip" which leads me to believe there is actually no LD/LX/JC/JF distinction here and that this update applies to all RB5 systems. This is confirmed by some other posts online where people talked about how UConnect units with their EEPROM erased can be installed into any compatible vehicle and the extra menu options are supplied by the BCM.

The extracted file is named "CTPMY14.KWI". I copied this file into a formatted FAT32 USB drive and inserted it into the USB port of my car. It was very anti-climatic - the car told me "USB read error" and that I should remove it from the system. I tried using two different USB drives and both gave me the same error. I then looked up the error online and there was literally no mention of it. Therefore, I hypothesize...

Maserati removed the ability for our units to be updated through USB. Either that or they added some extra checks to make sure the system does not accept regular UConnect updates. The dealer probably uses the OBD port or a specialized image to perform the update over USB. All in all, it's quite annoying.

I'll pay the dealer a visit someday to ask them about if there's an update for UConnect in detail, as the service techs at my dealership seem pretty competent. I suspect we won't get it though as the mentioned update came out in 2017 and they were already selling cars with MTC+ by then... Which makes their decision to ban regular UConnect updates more idiotic.

Or I could just be insanely unlucky and own two USB drives that UConnect doesn't support.

EDIT: Yeah it’s probably just me, I don’t think my USB drives are working... which gives me hope!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I GOT IT TO WORK!

The firmware has been successfully updated with the Charger firmware!!! I will make a separate post later but so far what I've seen:
  • Everything still working flawlessly
  • Deleting devices from the paired list and adding my iPhone is MUCH faster and the iPhone sees MTC pretty much instantly as opposed to ~10 seconds before the update.
Stay tuned!

Proof:

·
Super Moderator
2,145 Posts
I GOT IT TO WORK!

The firmware has been successfully updated with the Charger firmware!!! I will make a separate post later but so far what I've seen:
  • Everything still working flawlessly
  • Deleting devices from the paired list and adding my iPhone is MUCH faster and the iPhone sees MTC pretty much instantly as opposed to ~10 seconds before the update.
Stay tuned!
Great to hear it worked for you. Will be interested to see how it performs and your detailed instructions. Thanks for sharing the info on the forum!!!

Out of curiosity, I checked mine and found it was original factory 13/11/93 for my 2014 SQ4 even though I updated my Garmin several times, this radio never got updated by me or dealer. I guess there were no problems so if it ain't broken don't mess with it.

So I was curious and completed the Uconnect software search which indicated two updates 15/09/D1 and 16/21/D7.

Formated an 8GB USB (fat 32) to remove my old MTC updates, (so this USB drive has worked numerous times in my car).

Downloaded latest version 16/21/D7 and instructions since it only asked to confirm that this was a newer version and nothing about going in stages.

Zipped folder on USB ... shows as follows ... is this what you saw when you did your update?

Did it take about one hour? I didn't install in car yet .... was stalling.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Great to hear it worked for you. Will be interested to see how it performs and your detailed instructions. Thanks for sharing the info on the forum!!!

Out of curiosity, I checked mine and found it was original factory 13/11/93 for my 2014 SQ4 even though I updated my Garmin several times, this radio never got updated by me or dealer. I guess there were no problems so if it ain't broken don't mess with it.

So I was curious and completed the Uconnect software search which indicated two updates 15/09/D1 and 16/21/D7.

Formated an 8GB USB (fat 32) to remove my old MTC updates, (so this USB drive has worked numerous times in my car).

Downloaded latest version 16/21/D7 and instructions since it only asked to confirm that this was a newer version and nothing about going in stages.

Zipped folder on USB ... shows as follows ... is this what you saw when you did your update?

Did it take about one hour? I didn't install in car yet .... was stalling.

View attachment 20448
Yes, that’s the correct file.

(more info on another dedicated thread that I started)

41 - 56 of 56 Posts