Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone describe their IPhone bluetooth integration with the Maserati Ghibli version of the UConnect screen?
1. Are you able to download and call from your phonebook from the screen?
2. Can you use the car's voice command to pull up people in the phone book to call?
3. Stream music from your phone-stored music, or from music apps playing on your phone?
4. When you are playing phone-stored music using bluetooth, do you see music info on the car's screen or do you need to plug the phone in the USB port of the car to see music info? (Same question for using music apps on your phone).
5. Does the Ghibli screen have its own music apps (like Pandora)? Does it cost anything to use?
6. There are no apps for your iPhone to control, monitor or access the Ghibli, right? Just the remote start on the key fob?

I still like the Ghibli's drive and character better, but there are a host of other features and considerations (e.g., interface with my phone and free maintenance) that I am trying to take into account, comparing it to a BMW 650i XDrive that I drove yesterday that they are offering an insane deal on (BMW seems willing to do anything to move cars, and I am not sure Maserati is of the same temperament). Thanks.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Can anyone describe their IPhone bluetooth integration with the Maserati Ghibli version of the UConnect screen?
1. Are you able to download and call from your phonebook from the screen?
2. Can you use the car's voice command to pull up people in the phone book to call?
3. Stream music from your phone-stored music, or from music apps playing on your phone?
4. When you are playing phone-stored music using bluetooth, do you see music info on the car's screen or do you need to plug the phone in the USB port of the car to see music info? (Same question for using music apps on your phone).
5. Does the Ghibli screen have its own music apps (like Pandora)? Does it cost anything to use?
6. There are no apps for your iPhone to control, monitor or access the Ghibli, right? Just the remote start on the key fob?

I still like the Ghibli's drive and character better, but there are a host of other features and considerations (e.g., interface with my phone and free maintenance) that I am trying to take into account, comparing it to a BMW 650i XDrive that I drove yesterday that they are offering an insane deal on (BMW seems willing to do anything to move cars, and I am not sure Maserati is of the same temperament). Thanks.
I have an Iphone 5
1&2. You can download the phone book and make calls through the interface. When calls are received it shows you who's calling and the interface is very easy to use. I haven't tried voice commands, but you can also place and answer calls via Voice Commands.
3. You can play music through the bluetooth on your device. Actually this unit makes it a **** of a lot easier then many other more sophisticated units such as the PCM 3.1 in the new porsches. There is a dedicated Player button in the main interface, and as long as your phone is paired it switches immediately to whatever your phone is playing at the moment. So you can stream music or listen to it from the itunes library on your device. In other units I've tried getting to audio bluetooth streaming takes a plethora of menu navigation - not here tho. The downside is that you do not see what's playing on the ghibli unit. That's the only part that sucks about it.
5. No apps
6. Not that I know of

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I believe they use the Chrysler UConnect2 unit (I don't know whether it is the R3 or R4 version, which supposedly makes a difference), and depending upon the unit, they may be able to push some of the upgrades I ask about in questions 5 and 6 in the future, if Maserati wants to.
One last question: The radio is HD, right?

·
Registered
253 Posts
I don't think its HD. Its least it sounds like regular analog and I haven't seen be advertised as HD anywhere.

·
Registered
324 Posts
The BMW iDrive is in another league regarding Maserati's MTS; it's the man to Maserati's boy. The iPhone integration isn't bad though, but in general the MTS is junk. I own both an SQ4 and a new 435i, which has the exact same iDrive UI as the 650, and I can tell you firsthand the 650i is a much better car in that respect. I've test driven the 650 as well, VERY nice car... but I'd still go for the SQ4 from a pure driving perspective, fwiw.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RSM, that is pretty much the conclusion I am arriving at about the 650i X vs the Ghibli SQ4 -- if I am only buying it for the drive, the Ghibli wins (it also wins on style). Otherwise, the 650i. While I have always considered the drive most important, with the discounts I have seen for the 650 this weekend and some of the other pluses of going BMW (free service, extra toys, higher quality interior, easier salability if I buy it, etc.), this is a really hard decision. Its heart (Ghibli) over mind (BMW).

·
Registered
253 Posts
RSM, that is pretty much the conclusion I am arriving at about the 650i X vs the Ghibli SQ4 -- if I am only buying it for the drive, the Ghibli wins (it also wins on style). Otherwise, the 650i. While I have always considered the drive most important, with the discounts I have seen for the 650 this weekend and some of the other pluses of going BMW (free service, extra toys, higher quality interior, easier salability if I buy it, etc.), this is a really hard decision. Its heart (Ghibli) over mind (BMW).
You get used to electronics no matter how nice they are they just don't impress you after a while. The joy you get from driving a better handling and sounding car does not go away, ever.

·
Registered
324 Posts
You get used to electronics no matter how nice they are they just don't impress you after a while. The joy you get from driving a better handling and sounding car does not go away, ever.
If only that were true for me. The more I drive the ghibli, the more I am reminded of it's inferior UI. It probably doesn't help that I drive my wife's 435 every couple of days. For instance, just today I discovered yet another really bothersome problem with the MTS. I was listening to pandora from my phone, I made a call, then attempted to switch back to pandora. Doesn't work. In the end I had to shut the car off to get it to play pandora again. But again it's the basic design of the MTS v. iDrive that weighs heaviest. If you drove a new BMW, I think you'd change your tune.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Also, adding insult to injury, today I discovered my ventilation system doesn't work. I never really paid attention to it before today, I live in a warm enough climate not to really need it. Anyway tested it out today on my drive home, no dice, zero airflow. This is pushing me over the edge... kicking myself for not getting the 650, which like the original poster is going with deals recently. It's just a better car if you're keeping score. The Maserati brand is impressing me less with each day.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Also, adding insult to injury, today I discovered my ventilation system doesn't work. I never really paid attention to it before today, I live in a warm enough climate not to really need it. Anyway tested it out today on my drive home, no dice, zero airflow. This is pushing me over the edge... kicking myself for not getting the 650, which like the original poster is going with deals recently. It's just a better car if you're keeping score. The Maserati brand is impressing me less with each day.
That's what you get for going Italian. Italians are just not good at electronics and even the Lamborghini has EVERYTHING from the audi's parts bin. Even the freaking key from $400k avantador looks almost exactly like the key from audi s5 that I have. They should have picked a better parts bin for the Maser - chrysler is a POS company and their electronics are years behind the germans. Having said that for me - the driving feel and looks of the Ghibli outweigh the simpleton electronics and I don't regret going the Ghibli route. Also there will be 10 650s at every stop light in about a year and not that many Ghiblis.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Also are we not really comparing apples to apples when comparing a 650GC X? The MSRP on that car is $91k so well optioned out one will be way over $100k. You're talking about $20K difference between 650GC X and Well optioned out Ghibli Sq4. I my opinion that extra nice electronics and the 'Free' maintenance is not worth it, considering that you can purchase a Maser maintenance plan for $1750 for the first 4 years.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Good points vuem5. Yeah, I've been in some Lambos and noticed the Audi gear; I know what you mean. I suppose I'm just a bit put off and focusing on the negative, but there's really nothing terribly wrong with the car. My review of the car in another post still holds true, I do appreciate the S Q4 for what it has to offer:
  • drop dead looks
  • handling and overall driving experience second to none
  • generally, badassness not to be found in any other car in its class
  • EXCLUSIVITY!!! Living in the Bay Area I'll see a 1000 Boring BMWs, 1000 Abiding Audis, 500 Typical Teslas, and 500 Posing Porches on the road before I see another Maserati. :)
Cheers.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Also are we not really comparing apples to apples when comparing a 650GC X? The MSRP on that car is $91k so well optioned out one will be way over $100k.
To be fair, the MSRP on my S Q4 was $91K. And BMW is wheeling and dealing with the 6-series GCs. So price-wise, not too much difference.

But I look forward to my drive to work, more so I'm sure in my Maserati than in a BMW. That's really what it's about (for me).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
you guys pretty much sum it up well, and at the end of the day I will go with the Ghibli, if the Ghibli can be gotten at a decent discount to the 650 (which is not a bygone conclusion, given the discounting on the BMW). It would be nice if there was a superior alternative head unit available on the aftermarket though.....

·
Registered
44 Posts
Has anyone tried to pair an Android phone to the Ghibli? Also, has anyone tried voice command for a lot of the functions? I test drove and ordered but only tried using the voice command to select a song off of a CD, which it did perfectly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts