Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Been using 89 octane (plus) for 9,000 miles. More power than I need and highway mileage is 26-28 with no problems. Lately been putting in 91 octane sometimes since it's so cheap but no noticeable difference in performance. I think 93 is simply a waste of money with no benefits. But use whatever you think works and be happy!
I second that.. I've had my 2014 ghibli SQ4 for 7 mos. now & have tried premium & regular and I don't see any difference in performance, except my exhaust smell is a lot stronger with the premium. And I've had no knocking issues whatsoever. My car has around 73,000 miles on it, & its my daily driver. Thanks.

·
Administrator
2,295 Posts
I second that.. I've had my 2014 ghibli SQ4 for 7 mos. now & have tried premium & regular and I don't see any difference in performance, except my exhaust smell is a lot stronger with the premium. And I've had no knocking issues whatsoever. My car has around 73,000 miles on it, & its my daily driver. Thanks.
I think it also has to do with the quality of the fuel. A quality Midgrade will likely "pass" with our computer controlled engines as daily drivers. On occasion, (usually while away from), cheap gas has triggered the check engine light for some of our members which resolved once a good fuel was blended back into the car.
Also wonder what a lot of the service loaners use for gas ... I've seen / heard folks refill with the cheapest gas.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Over at my area, our lowest grade of petrol is 92. I used to pump 98 for my E200 W212. But currently pumping 95 for my BMW M4.

·
Administrator
2,295 Posts
Over at my area, our lowest grade of petrol is 92. I used to pump 98 for my E200 W212. But currently pumping 95 for my BMW M4.
You have be careful, in that UK and most of Europe use RON octane ratings, while in US and Canada to name a few they use the (R+M)/2 which provides a lower reported octane rating. Not a perfect conversion, but gives a relative example of difference when we speak in terms of octane.

Reactions: NoobGhibli

·
Registered
211 Posts
Holy thread revival, I remember reading this when I bought my Ghibli new in '14 and face palming at someone buying an expensive car and then trying to save pennies on petro. All nice cars are 91+ and have been for over a decade at least. This is nothing new and certainly not specific to our cars.

I guess the only thing I want to add is a comment I heard from a Ferrari tech which was that our engines have the same knock sensors that Ferrari uses and they are known to be less sensitive to light knock. He said that a Honda could adjust timing faster than a Ferrari/Maserati. This came up while we were talking about tuning and he said something about being careful about getting too aggressive at WOT since the gas I can get here in AZ is only 91.

When I had my car tuned, I had it tuned for 93 which I can't buy, so now I run with Torco to raise my octane to 93-95. Costs me an extra $10 each tank fill up.

Bottom line, if you never floor the pedal and you drive like a grandma on a Sunday, you're probably safe with 87 because your timing is never going to advance enough to get you in trouble. But if you like to enjoy your car and mash the pedal here and there and take it to redline, do the right thing, don't be cheap and just put the best gas you can get into her.

·
Registered
25 Posts
You have be careful, in that UK and most of Europe use RON octane ratings, while in US and Canada to name a few they use the (R+M)/2 which provides a lower reported octane rating. Not a perfect conversion, but gives a relative example of difference when we speak in terms of octane.
View attachment 20858
Thank you for sharing. Im residing in Singapore, the ratings are in Octane. So 95 is really 95.

It cost about $2.20/litre over here in Singapore.

·
Administrator
2,295 Posts
Thank you for sharing. Im residing in Singapore, the ratings are in Octane. So 95 is really 95.

It cost about $2.20/litre over here in Singapore.
I believe Singapore uses the RON octane rating system. So 95 octane in Singapore would be rated 90-91 Octane in the US. It's confusing but there is not one global system for measuring octane. The grades in Singapore really are close to US in terms of low - mid - high grade. I recall they used to have a even higher grade called Techron 100 Octane which is 95-96 octane in states..

Reactions: NoobGhibli

·
Registered
25 Posts
I believe Singapore uses the RON octane rating system. So 95 octane in Singapore would be rated 90-91 Octane in the US. It's confusing but there is not one global system for measuring octane. The grades in Singapore really are close to US in terms of low - mid - high grade. I recall they used to have a even higher grade called Techron 100 Octane which is 95-96 octane in states..
I made a mistake. Our petrol is measured in Octane not RON, I mixed up with the petrol ratings of our neighbouring country Malaysia.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts