Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Jaguar is a "non practicing entity" when it comes to naming vehicle models, so I guess they felt it safe to make these types of provocations against a company that actually gives real names to their vehicle models. I mean after all, how are you going to be able to make fun of names like XF, XJ, or F-Type.

There is no sophistication in this "wit". I expected better from Jaguar.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I didn't really think about Jaguar's nomenclature in relation to this story. It is pretty hard to make fun of names like "F-Type." It would be cool if Maserati shot back somehow though. Can anyone think of something witty to say about jaguar or their Villains Super Bowl ad?

·
Registered
253 Posts
I didn't really think about Jaguar's nomenclature in relation to this story. It is pretty hard to make fun of names like "F-Type." It would be cool if Maserati shot back somehow though. Can anyone think of something witty to say about jaguar or their Villains Super Bowl ad?
I would say that would mean Maserati cares about what Jaguar has to say about their cars. Jaguar has made jabs like this before at Mercedes against their Magic Body Control commercials which Chickens, saying they prefer "Cat like reflexes", where a jaguar ate the chicken. Mercedes responded subtly with an image of S class about to run over a Jaguar, saying cat like reflexes aren't good enough. Its silly. Jaguar has nothing to be really proud of in terms of engineering finesse (they are unreliable and IMO inferior to even BMW/Mercedes - sorry Jag owners). I think it would be silly for Maserati, a brand with tremendous history and freaking ferrari engines in their cars to even bother responding to Tata XJ.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I own an F Type V8 S and a Ghibli S Q4. The F Type is not the same breed of kitty people are used to, I'll say that much. I have more fun in that car than cars I've driven which are double the money. I think both Jaguar and Maserati are trying to make themselves known by reshaping perceptions and it's just fun, healthy advertising.

I don't mind the jabs at the "Ghibli" name either as I never understood why they chose it. It shares no relation to the original Ghibli and I think it deserved its own unique name...just my opinion.

Reactions: Barbalace

·
Registered
324 Posts
I see quite a few of those F-types around my neck of the woods. Nice looking car.... for a Jag ;)

But yeah... the Ghibli name. It's grown on me some, but I agree it's really not an ideal name for a new model like the Ghibli. Like the super bowl commercial it probably appeals to Maserati employees and long-time executives who appreciate its legacy, but as a selling tool "Ghibli" is... yeah.

·
Registered
253 Posts
The F Type is actually aimed squarely at 911.

The F Type is the only car worth looking into, because it was designed from scratch to compete with 911. (albeit their strongest offering the F Type R is only good enough to compete with regular Carrera S).

Everything else they have are bolt-ons on existing models XJ/XF/XK. Too boy-racer for me, I don't think Jaguar really has a product that can squarely compete with the Ghibli at this point. So their Twitter remark was really quite honestly aimed at nothing.

·
Registered
324 Posts
If Maserati offers a coupe version of the Ghibli and/or Jaguar produces a GC version of the f-type... The cars are only 2 doors away from directly competing. After I saw the f-type my first thought was "will there be a GC?!" :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Well a Ghibli Coupe with 4 seats could be when they will stop the GT's. And with 2 seats they speak of a Grand Sport competing against Porsche. But I could imagine sooner than later a Ghibli Convertible/Cabriolet because the Gran Cabrio is a nice car but has for 4 persons a very little luggage trunk and has therefore limited sales possibilities.
The F-Type is the first Jaguar which goes back to his roots and which found at least my attention for a Jag since very very long time. My father had from 1957 onwards only Jaguars and in these old times the Jags where cars with character and fun to drive. Well I was too small to drive myself but I have good memories of the XK150's/Mark I+II and obviously the E-type.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I think that Jaguar just engages with other brands like this because its fun. It shows that Jaguar has some humor and in the end it serves both brands as people are talking about Jaguar and Maserati all because of this tweet.

Somehow I don't think that Maserati has the same sense of humor. I bet they don't even acknowledge the tweet.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Maserati doesn't need to respond. Jaguar made enough of a joke of themselves with that tragic super villains spot. Anyone anointing themselves a villain is not one... Not to mention jaguars natural habitat is the country club parking lot..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts