Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Some great lines in the article...

A gaping grille that looks like it wants to eat you

Like Marissa Tomei in My Cousin Vinny... Hot with an attitude.

The exhaust barks at you when it starts and sings to you while you drive.

Thanks for the link.

Reactions: bekrawa

·
Registered
852 Posts
overall not a very good review...........I must be stupid.........or they are stupid when they review the car..........I am pretty sure it is the latter........but I do agree this car will be perfection in a few years........just hope the price stays reasonable (relatively speking) because I want another one!!!!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Is it me or do these reviewers just miss the boat? They compare the Ghibli to the German standards BMW and Mercedes Benz. Ok fine but let me remind the reviewers of something...remember the two recent commercials on TV, the first is the Hagen Daz ice cream where the really hot Italian wife and husband argue until they see the ice cream kiss and make up then start to fight again? Hot, unpredictable Italian lust! And the other commercial for the Fiat Arbath where the nerdy guy is staring at the hot Italian model who teases him and turns out to be the car? It's another Italian attitude thing. Hot, beautiful, anything but boring, temperamental and a challenge to own or control. That is Italian.

But what do you get with a German car? Boring, predictable each model a little more featured and bigger than the next... 3 series, 5 series, 6 series, 7 series.....c Class, e class, s class. It's like Gerta and Greta the East German Olympic swimmers you couldn't tell whether they were men or women. Big, muscular, Boring with no distinct identity...and mass produced in a genetics lab!

I bought the Maserati for three reasons: 1) I love the design. It's unique it doesn't look like a ford fusion, who by the way stole the Astin Martin grill but no one screams about that! 2) I drove it, I am no F1 driver and I couldn't identify a turbo lag from a lag bolt but I do know that when I test drove the Ghibli I was at 60 mph in 4.8 seconds and at 95 mph and it felt like 35 in my wife's sonata and 3) I'll say it again. Everywhere I look is see the BMW logo or the Mercedes star. I DON'T WANT TO LOOK LIKE EVERYONE ELSE!!! The Trident is a badge of exclusivity, of individuality, saying to everyone, I like NOT being a lemming and if I am going to be a lemming, I'll drive into the sea in my own way, not just following the guy in front of me.

Ok so the first year Ghibli isn't perfect, but you tell me what car, any car in this world is perfect. You can't. And just like any movie reviewer auto reviewers are paid to write opinions. Take them or leave them. Remember the critics panned "Casablanca" when it first came out...

Steve

·
Registered
852 Posts
Amen to Spsesq I could not have said it better............but then as owners only we really understand and as I have said before, had the calling to "just know" that this would be the best ride we ever owned, not the fastest, not perfect (all minor annoyances IMO compared to what I purchased), but the sexiest driving machine (sorry BMW) ever..........for those who do not get it........too bad.........got to go and cold start my Ghibli sweetest sound ever!!!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I guess we are all different, but these reviewers just don't seem to appreciate something DIFFERENT!

I'm thrilled with mine. It drives well, looks great and i get comments on her wherever I go.

Gave her a quick wash down and polish this morning. The Blu Emozione looks fab in the sunshine and two of my neighbours who knew I had ordered her stopped by to have a chat and a look inside. The car is certainly creating interest in my little part of the UK.

Even the Ferrari man who lives close by nodded in tacit approval as he drove by in his 'other' car, a nice Merc AMG, but it's not a Maserati!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
It's becoming a badge of honor to get bad reviews from a certain type of reviewer. It's like the fact that they don't "get it" just proves that the car's appeal is too elusive for them - which is good for us.

I actually like a lot of different cars - as do most of you - so I don't quite understand the brand rivalry. There was never really any question whether we would buy the Ghibli. I do feel like I'm a "Maserati person", but I don't have any problem admiring a nice Panamera, CLS or F-Type.

·
Registered
54 Posts
. I DON'T WANT TO LOOK LIKE EVERYONE ELSE!!! The Trident is a badge of exclusivity, of individuality, saying to everyone, I like NOT being a lemming and if I am going to be a lemming, I'll drive into the sea in my own way, not just following the guy in front of me.

Well said. My sentiment exactly.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Thanks, for all the likes. ;)
I wax poetic at 1:00 in the morning after a stressful day at the office.

I need my Ghibli to unwind........>:D

·
Registered
159 Posts
I think a lot of these reviewers who try to compare the Ghibli (firstly, I don't appreciate the jokes about the name. There's a lot of history to the Ghibli name which the reviewer should be made aware of and it shows up his ignorance) to equivalently priced German cars. That's the wrong approach, because the car is it's own market segment. A piece of exotica in a compact package that you can use everyday. You cannot apply that label to a BMW, Merc or Audi.

Comments about the steering - these guys should understand the DNA of the product. Try driving a modern Ferrari, you can move the wheel with one finger. It's even lighter with even less feedback, but it allows the car to be wickedly fast and accurate in positioning. The same DNA runs through the Maserati.

Maserati must never compete on absolute speed. This is the law laid down by Fiat. Ferrari is the brand with fastest acceleration times. Maseratis must always be slower because the brands must not step on each other's toes and cannabalise sales. The pecking order is Fiat->Alfa Romeo->Maserati->Ferrari. Overlaps would be a silly thing for the parent company to do. Don't compare 0-60 times with an M3, M5, AMG or whatever, compare it with a Ferrari because that's what the Maserati engineers did. It makes a lot of logical sense when you look at it this way.

uConnect and Chrysler parts are a huge positive for me as I've said elsewhere. Tried and tested. The previous Ferrari and Maserati satnavs are stone age compared to what is in the Ghibli. My Ferrari Scaglietti window switches are easy to break at a cost of 1000 GBP each to replace. The wing mirror control is easy to snap, 600 GBP to replace. I don't have to wear kid gloves when handling the Ghibli controls.

I would compare the rear end to a Maserati Granturismo. When I look at the back of my car, the sweep and slope remind me of the GT. Brand x car which is supposed to look like the rear is a opinion made by those glancing at a few choice photographs. The Ghibli's rear curves round the pillars and gives it a hugely elegant and sporty rear - these reviewers should study the design more closely in the flesh. Italian cars are sculpted. No 2D picture can capture that. Again, these reviewers failed to understand the DNA.

As a Ferrari owner seeing a Maserati on the road is exciting. I love looking out for Quattroportes, yes they are 4 door sedans, but there is truly nothing like them on the roads. I've seen a lot Granturismos and continue to appreciate the design (and especially the noise). I've seen one Ghibli and was blown away by it's presence. It's subtle, yet classy, elegant and rare. Truly exotic. None of it's so called 'competitors' can be put into the same segment.

My summation of a great car is - does it make you want to take a pointless journey just to drive. The answer is a resounding yes!

·
Registered
112 Posts
That's the wrong approach, because the car is it's own market segment. A piece of exotica in a compact package that you can use everyday. You cannot apply that label to a BMW, Merc or Audi.

I've seen one Ghibli and was blown away by it's presence. It's subtle, yet classy, elegant and rare. Truly exotic. None of it's so called 'competitors' can be put into the same segment.

My summation of a great car is - does it make you want to take a pointless journey just to drive. The answer is a resounding yes!
Well stated (as usual) -- indeed, I truly believe the Ghibli is in its own market segment -- it is very much a unique piece of engineering and design that, IMO, will become timeless. And I love the sight of one on the road.

(You guys in PA had better post pics of that parade of Ghiblis you are having -- that will be quite a sight. Also, take pics of the reaction people have when they see it.)

As far as naming cars go, sometimes a name doesn't translate well. It doesn't bother me that people make light of the Ghibli name because "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet," W. Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet

At least is isn't one like these (most unfortunate) names;)
10 Most Unfortunate and Funny Car Names (funny car names) - ODDEE

Mazda LaPuta (in Spanish: "the wh*re")
Mitsubishi Pajero (in Spanish: "wanker")
Nissan Moco (in Spanish: "booger")
Buick LaCrosse (in French: "masturbating teenagers")
Chevrolet Nova (in Spanish: "It Doesn't Go")
Opel Ascona (in Spain and Portugal: "female genitalia")
Honda Fitta (in swedish and norwegian: "c*nt")

·
Registered
312 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts