Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I been a member here since January. Finally pulled the trigger and picked up a 2014 Ghibli SQ 4, I read almost all of the tune threads. But I'm wondering if there are any active users that have their Ghibli tuned. What product did you end up with? And how do you like it? TIA

·
Registered
15 Posts
I know someone in Southern California does +100 HP tune that does not require a device that needed to be hanging in the car. Also free detune when returning the car.
He mostly does super-cars and used to charge $1500 but now he offers $1000.
Anyone had experience the performance with the device remain connected?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I started off by trying a DBW but never could get it to work and was swapped into a FD ECU Tune, which was great. That said the next time I took my car in it needed an ECU Flash for a recall fix and it was wiped.

I’m sure the guys at FD would have re-flashed it but I didn’t really want to have my car down for 3 days while it was shipped out and back.

Ultimately I bought a JB4, had good experiences with them previously on other vehicles and this was much the same. A quality product.

Just had my annual maintenance done on it and the guys asked about it, but we’re pretty cool. Didn’t threaten to void my warranty or anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
I know someone in Southern California does +100 HP tune that does not require a device that needed to be hanging in the car. Also free detune when returning the car.
He mostly does super-cars and used to charge $1500 but now he offers $1000.
Anyone had experience the performance with the device remain connected?
Well, can you be any more vague than this? lol....
But seriously, how many detune? since our cars need at least once a year visit to stealership.
Also, anyone else can chime in on JB4 or Racechip? Been looking into those since beginning of time... thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I can jump in. I have a Racechip GTS and a Racechip XLR throttle tuner.
The gts is really nice in respects to the yearly bendover. It can just be unplugged and all goes back to normal. If you need to be thorough. You can remove the harness as well in 30 mins. The locations can be a pain in the butt. I haven't had my ride benched ( 15 Ghibli SQ4) there is a noticable difference in power. But The XLR is what makes it more fun to drive.
1st. Disconnect the vaccum actuator tubes on exhaust valves..[put a vacuum cap over the vaccum source]
This make the exhaust open up immediately vs 3000rpm. Still put it in. Sport though.
2nd the XLR is a dial based control. Both the XLR and GTS are bluetooth app enabled .just a heads up...you can find coupons on the web. But buying the app with the respective unit right away. It's not free and going under hood to change modes was annoying. I leave both units in Race+ at all times. The pick up is amazing. In Race+ tune, and race+ throttle I still get 26 mpg @80 mph average. That's including zipping around like I stole it....
That said. Their US customer service person(I think i got him fire, sucked) it got better.
Also make sure to buy the bluetooth enabled hardware. Not just chip. I got ****** by not knowing it isn't in the base hardware.
Been running them both around a year now.
(Anyone help me get the fix for the DIY paddle install. I did it and it works but my traction light stays on. A guy on here found my holy grail but no reply)
262.321.1184 - Donovan if have any other questions

·
Registered
23 Posts
I can jump in. I have a Racechip GTS and a Racechip XLR throttle tuner.
The gts is really nice in respects to the yearly bendover. It can just be unplugged and all goes back to normal. If you need to be thorough. You can remove the harness as well in 30 mins. The locations can be a pain in the butt. I haven't had my ride benched ( 15 Ghibli SQ4) there is a noticable difference in power. But The XLR is what makes it more fun to drive.
1st. Disconnect the vaccum actuator tubes on exhaust valves..[put a vacuum cap over the vaccum source]
This make the exhaust open up immediately vs 3000rpm. Still put it in. Sport though.
2nd the XLR is a dial based control. Both the XLR and GTS are bluetooth app enabled .just a heads up...you can find coupons on the web. But buying the app with the respective unit right away. It's not free and going under hood to change modes was annoying. I leave both units in Race+ at all times. The pick up is amazing. In Race+ tune, and race+ throttle I still get 26 mpg @80 mph average. That's including zipping around like I stole it....
That said. Their US customer service person(I think i got him fire, sucked) it got better.
Also make sure to buy the bluetooth enabled hardware. Not just chip. I got ****** by not knowing it isn't in the base hardware.
Been running them both around a year now.
(Anyone help me get the fix for the DIY paddle install. I did it and it works but my traction light stays on. A guy on here found my holy grail but no reply)
262.321.1184 - Donovan if have any other questions
What's the difference between XLR manual throttle vs Bluetooth App? It appears that both work the same or similar?

·
Registered
8 Posts
First post here. I have a 16 SQ4. First purchase was a Race Chip GTS with Bluetooth. I did notice some power Pick-up as it will slip all tires when launched with trac control off. However, I have been getting a number of cylinder misfires in the top end and now have some permanent misfire codes than can’t be cleared. The problem is not on every launch, but is resolved when the Race Chip is turned off. Sadly, I got a return label for my Race Chip today. Really wanted it to work out.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I feel like a flash from Eurodynamics or formulardynamics is the way to go. reliable. I know that euro will flash back to stock if you for some reason have an issue at no charge. I believe formula is similar situation.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Manual is just a dial you mount. No real convenient space to put it. App is mainly for the GTS. They are separate apps though

·
Registered
322 Posts
Eurodynamic tune been running it for 3 years not one issue no check engine light no misfires nothing.
Unfortunately have to return the car next month.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So, I installed RaceChip. Installation was about 20 minutes or so. Super easy with the right tools. No CEL or other lights. Bluetooth connected (last 6 of serial is your bluetooth password, I had to call RaceChip to find this our). Everything seems to be working for over a week now. On the Race Mode you can definitely feel the power increase. Not sure how much increase but you can tell for sure. I will run it against my cousins bmw 335, we ran before the chip and it was head to head (his is tuned, intake, exhaust). If I can take him with a car or two it would be amazing gains, I will keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So, I installed RaceChip. Installation was about 20 minutes or so. Super easy with the right tools. No CEL or other lights. Bluetooth connected (last 6 of serial is your bluetooth password, I had to call RaceChip to find this our). Everything seems to be working for over a week now. On the Race Mode you can definitely feel the power increase. Not sure how much increase but you can tell for sure. I will run it against my cousins bmw 335, we ran before the chip and it was head to head (his is tuned, intake, exhaust). If I can take him with a car or two it would be amazing gains, I will keep everyone posted.
Would love to hear what happened? Currently in the market for the gts black. Just hesitant on the gain claims.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I went from the RaceChip GTS to the JB4. Much happier with the JB4. Power gains are on par with the RaceChip, but consistency is greater and the JB4 app provides far more options for tuning. For benchmark purposes, 0-60 is 4.77-4.82 with the tuner off. In map 5 running an E85/93 octane blend, 0-60 is consistently 4.125 - 4.15.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I went from the RaceChip GTS to the JB4. Much happier with the JB4. Power gains are on par with the RaceChip, but consistency is greater and the JB4 app provides far more options for tuning. For benchmark purposes, 0-60 is 4.77-4.82 with the tuner off. In map 5 running an E85/93 octane blend, 0-60 is consistently 4.125 - 4.15.

Appreciate your response! Unfortunately I don’t have access to anything above 91 pump. So I best I’ll be running map 2. Coming from someone who’s tried both tuners, Would you still recommend JB4 on map 2 over racechip gts? I’ll be honest I wasn’t really considering jb4 but you definitely sparked my interest

·
Registered
8 Posts
Appreciate your response! Unfortunately I don’t have access to anything above 91 pump. So I best I’ll be running map 2. Coming from someone who’s tried both tuners, Would you still recommend JB4 on map 2 over racechip gts? I’ll be honest I wasn’t really considering jb4 but you definitely sparked my interest
The JB4 is cheaper (even with the $30 app purchase) and I am far happier. Map 2 is strong and is your default if not running E85 to prevent detonation. Map 2 is on par with the Race Chip in Race mode. If you ever get to run a blend, map 5 really wakes up the engine. For those more technically inclined than I, the JB4 also gives you the ability to create custom maps.

One of the biggies for me is that the JB4 connects to the car’s OBDII port. This gives gauge read outs on the app, allows you to keep logs, monitor and reset codes, and it’s just plain cool. With the Race Chip, I was looking at other options to monitor boost as I had no way of knowing the map settings and was concerned about detonation. JB4 is a hands down winner in my book. For the record, I have no affiliation with Berger Tuning and I paid full retail.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts