Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As others may have read on the forums, I previously had Ferrari FF and a Ferrari 612 before my Ghibli S. Had to move on from the Ferrari FF due to wife disapproval with the attention it got.

Some thoughts on the Ghibli vs the Ferraris:

Engine Noise
Not bad at all in sports mode. The Maserati engineers must spend a lot of time testing the cars in tunnels. It sounds every bit as good as the FF in a tunnel. It seems to resonate and sound much louder. During normal driving it's much quieter than the FF. Of course the start up is different in sound. The top of the rev range sounds fantastic.

Gear shifts
I thought the FF was quick and smooth, but the Ghibli is even smoother. It handles downshifts very well. The FF can jerk a bit at low speeds and there's a bit more pedal travel before the engine bites. Ghibli downshifts always sound good, but with the FF you have to shift down at higher rpms to get the same sound. I drive using manual paddles. Had no issues changing from P to R to D. Did it first time, don't know what the issue is!

Space
So much of it compared to the FF. Don't know what to do with it all! So many places to store things.

Steering
Light like Ferraris. Turning circle is slightly different, but they feel quite similar to me.

Technology
The satnav unit in the Ghibli beats the Ferrari hands down. Not sure about how the Apple controller in the 2014 FF's compare though. The switches are sensible and solid. Displays are nice and crisp. Liking the keyless system so far.

Ride
As expected, it's much less firmer than a Ferrari and I'm sitting much higher on the road. Now I can see at the same level as a Ford Fiesta as opposed to looking up at one from the Ferraris. Feeling the potholes and bumps a lot less in the Maserati. The car is a bit narrower, so much easier to drive and throw around. It feels closer to the Ferrari 612 in terms of throwing it around. The FF is harder to drive around town and throw around as it's a bigger car and 1st gear has so much power. Brakes are nice and strong, I need to get used to finding the right level at which they bite.

I've only had a short ride around town. Seems to turn a few heads, although big groups gawking and pointing. Other drivers don't stare like they did the with previous cars. Wife approves so far!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Great review.
It's very cool to hear the perspective from a Ferrari owner.
Thanks.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Exotic or Not?

Thanks for the review.

StickBreitling - Where do you feel the S Q4 falls in the comparison to other cars? Some compare it to BMW 550i or 650i, CLS 550, Jag XF, or even the PanAmera -- I don't because to me it has more characteristics of an exotic. And I think that people compare the S Q4 to them primarily due to price point. I think the s Q4 is a unique vehicle with classic exotic handling and performance feel that clearly separates it from these.

Since you have first hand experience with exotic cars, I would appreciate your thoughts....

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine is a Ghibli S. The Q4 isn't available in the UK unfortunately due to the complexity of implementing a RHD version.

From a UK perspective, the BMWs or Mercs don't come near from a pure badge prestige perspective. The models may well be very good, but they cater for from the lower end up to the high end limo class. The XF and Panamera are more likely to be bundled with the QP as competitors. One thing that Maseratis have is the rare exclusivity factor. Maseratis seem to be dotted around London in terms of sightings (mostly Granturismos and the odd classic QP). I've rarely seen any outside of London.

You could easily drive around and not see another Maserati on the road for several days. With Ferraris, you can go for weeks without seeing another. Lamborghinis take that to months.

As for the Porsches, Jags, BMWs and Mercs, you'll see loads day in/day out, even the models you mention.

The newer Ferraris feel like caged animals in the middle of town. They only live when you get out onto open roads or drive into Europe. The Maser seems like it can live in any environment.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One thing I will mention about Jags and Porkers. They do have exotica. The XJ220 and the GT series of Porsches are right up there.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Ghibli is what I would call understated exotica.

Ferraris and even more so Lamborghinis are a lot more shouty. The Ferrari 456 and the 612 were the last understated models.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I, too, am a Ferrari driver (360 Modena, then 458 Italia) and other than the light weight accelerator spring, I see no comparison.

The Ghibli is way more mainstream. I like its handling for a car of its size, and I appreciate it's styling, but I don't see many similarities to Ferrari. I think it's a good car for the money, and I'm happy with my purchase, but it's an apples and oranges comparison.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts