Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Maserati Ghibli S Q4 Gransport
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening. I am purchasing a 2021 Maserati Ghibli S Q4 Gransport (white w/ red leather). I was quoted for an extended warranty and other items, all of which seems grossly inflated. I need some advice on what I should be paying and where to go if this dealer refuses to work with me on the price.

• Maserati 7 Year Extended Warranty: $4,116
  • Maserati Premium Plus Maintenance: $6,600 (4 years)
  • Maserati Rims/Tires Coverage: $2,868 (5 years)

I would consider purchasing all of the above, but am especially interested in the maintenance and wheel/tire coverage. Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Administrator
2,599 Posts
Welcome to the forum and your new Ghibli!!!
The 7 year warranty price is within the norm. I paid $3500 for 6/100 and for most part broke even, maybe came out ahead somewhat based on work done.
The premium plus maintenance is new. I paid $1995 for 4 years of Maserati required maintenance ... money well spent versus work performed. The premium plus is a throw back to what BMW used to cover. Here is the catch, if you need new brakes and rotors, (drive enough miles and spirited driver), during the 4 year period and don't like doing yourself / using independent this plan is for you. Although, I'm 7 years in with same rotors and brake pads. As an aside, my BMW partially leveraged the equivalent plan in year 5, (only fronts). If Maserati does the change regardless of condition, than much better. BMW is pretty strict on how low the pads and/or rotors need to before coverage kicks in.
Tire and Wheel is really dependent on where you live. I declined at pick up, but after driving home from NJ on less than ideal roads on 20" Urano's realized I might be better off with plan. Nope ... $2500 spent and no claims.

Pricing is typical. This really boils down to your comfort level. Are you willing to put up cash upfront to cover what might be higher expenses in future. If me (personally) buying new again, I'd likely pick the warranty and basic maintenance and skip Tire & Wheel based on my own Ghibli driving experience.

Sometimes, you can negotiate a little ... what would be the best "bundle" price if I took all three. The warranty and maintenance were non negotiable for me. The Tire and Wheel they started higher and worked down until I was willing to to accept.

·
Registered
2021 Maserati Ghibli S Q4 Gransport
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum and your new Ghibli!!!
The 7 year warranty price is within the norm. I paid $3500 for 6/100 and for most part broke even, maybe came out ahead somewhat based on work done.
BeerGuy, thank you kindly for the detailed response - very helpful. I'm going to call the dealer shortly and see what I can negotiate. I'll report back to everyone on how I come out.

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
my car had the rotors like new and pads were needed to be replaced but not yet on the limit, I don't drive in big towns and I anticipate my braking so I take really good care, but for the service of 40.000km ( 24800 miles) the car with 3 years half, Maserati replaced everything rotors front back pads ... 2500 euro (2870 dollars) + 1200 for Oil service (1357 dollars) which here in Europe it is acceptable
I was not very happy that the rotors have been replaced but well it is something they do automatically doesn't matter how worn out.
All my cars I go to 120000 km (75000 miles or even more with the rotors before the need of replacement
it is really the first time that happens with so much low millage

·
Registered
2018 Maserati Ghibli SQ4
148 Posts
Every insurance plan is a risk-reward gamble. Part of the answer is where you live and how you drive. I live in Michigan (pot hole country) but can usually zig-zag down the road or highway and miss most of them. If I lived in the northeast with narrow, bad roads I would consider the tire warranty (it paid off for my wife's Lincoln, but she seems to aim for road hazards). If you do a lot of stop and go driving or drive with spirit, you will go through brakes/rotors quickly - it is a heavy car. I did lose one rear tire to a sidewall nail and another to a pot hole in NV, but they cost me less than $600 to replace.

If it was me, I would take that $14k+ and put it in the bank to pay for any repairs or service. I am coming up on the second oil change and if I take it to the dealer, it is $400. If I take it to the indie who works on my Audi, $200. I can do a lot of these oil changes for the cost of your premium maintenance. I also bought Formula Dynamics low-dust pads (installed for $200 by my indie) and they look new even though I have 22k on the vehicle (it is mostly highway driving). Otherwise after 20 months, no issues with my car.

You do have 4 years warranty, right? If things are going to break due to failure then it will happen in those 48 months. If it fails after, the warranty co-pay can nickel and dime you or they will find a reason not to cover it. If something catastrophic happens, then oh ****.

If buying all this coverage gives you peace of mind, go for it.

The other problem with all these deals is that if someone hits you and totals the car, I think all that money is just lost.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts