Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my two keyfobs was stolen during a burglary last month (They took a lot of stuff from our office). I would like to replace the keyfob so I have a backup in case I lose my main key. However, the dealer here in Las Vegas quoted $1200 for a new keyfob.

Is there an alternate source for an official fob? How would I go about getting it programmed?

Is it worth biting the bullet on this as insurance against losing my key?

·
Registered
324 Posts
you can get a new OEM key fob on eBay with an uncut insert key for under 100. Still need it cut and programmed. I have seen dealer listed as high as 650 but never 1200.

·
Administrator
1,301 Posts
LOL wow $1200 for a new key huh? I won't even comment on that.

PM or email (see email in signature) me the last 6 digits of your VIN# and I will take car of the issue for you. We have 100% of all Ferrari, Maserati, Lambo and BMW parts, big and small, shipped worldwide. Not only do we offer the entire OEM parts lineup but we have a large line of aftermarket / performance upgrades as well.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hello everyone. Newbie here. I just bought a 2014 Ghibli that only came with one key. The Dealership in Houston says $1500 for replacement and programming. YIKES! I have seen the OEM keys on ebay but they have a "lights" button in the bottom right instead of the "panic" button like mine. Anyone know if this will still work? The Dealership says $175 to program due to 1 hour of labor.

As if that wasn't bad enough, they also said about $200 to turn off the oil change light due to an hour of labor. I have learned from reading on this site it takes about 30 seconds with the scanner tool. lol

·
Registered
437 Posts
Honestly stay away from these guys, RIP OFF merchants.
With 200 you buy the tool to do it yourself.
For the Keyfob, if you do a bit of research on the forum, you'll find all you need to know. ;-)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Honestly stay away from these guys, RIP OFF merchants.
With 200 you buy the tool to do it yourself.
For the Keyfob, if you do a bit of research on the forum, you'll find all you need to know. ;-)

Thanks Fredvr! I actually did buy the tool to reset the oil change light. I bought the same one that someone rents out on here so it should work no problem.

I have been trying to find the key fob solution but cant find a locksmith in Houston area that says they can do it. I will keep reading on here till I find it. Guess I am just not digging deep enough. lol I did find the new OEM key fobs I need on ebay for less than $100 once I stopped searching for "key fob" and typed "Smart key" instead.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I bought a used key fob on eBay and had the dealership program it. The cut key is not right but I don’t care... the aftermarket fobs just didn’t have blanks that say correctly.

The service manual actually says the process to program the keys take 0.15h. But the dealership charged me an hour plus material/hazard waste fee and tax.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I had purchased 2 used oem fobs from ebay and took them to the dealer to program. They were able to program one but not the other. Had to pay an our labor. Called 3 local dealers ond got 3 different prices for this. Went with the least expensive...

All the buttons matched the original one I had.

As far as the key I purchased a blank from the bay and took it to a local locksmith to cut so it worked on the car.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had purchased 2 used oem fobs from ebay and took them to the dealer to program. They were able to program one but not the other. Had to pay an our labor. Called 3 local dealers ond got 3 different prices for this. Went with the least expensive...

All the buttons matched the original one I had.

As far as the key I purchased a blank from the bay and took it to a local locksmith to cut so it worked on the car.
I ordered a new OEM key from ebay. I guess I will be stuck paying the Dealership $200 to program. I called every Locksmith that came up under Google search for Houston area and they all said they cannot do the Maserati keys. But $200 to program and $89 for the key is still better than $1500 that the Dealership wanted for both.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I ordered a new one with blank key from eBay and received an empty envelope with a tear in it. Contacted the seller and their response was that they have confirmation of delivery, so talk to the USPS. In other words, tuff crap! The seller had hundreds of favorable reviews and said they had never had this problem before.
So that was a waste of $90. Probably didn't help that "Maserati" was boldly printed on the envelope for someone along the way that may have wanted a souvenir of an expensive car ?
I'm going to order another and hope for better results.

·
Administrator
2,248 Posts
If you paid with PayPal did you check with them on what they can do? Sadly, this is not an uncommon problem. Did seller have insurance on USPS shipments? Is the Paypal payment drawing from a credit card with insurance?

Just some thoughts.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I didn't use PayPal, but I think the difficulty is that they have proof that the package was delivered. It's just my word that it arrived empty and not emptied by me! ;-)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I live in the Houston area as well. I also called every locksmith on google to get someone to program it after getting one on ebay for $90. All said no. I bit the bullet and paid the Dealership (Northside Imports) $200 to do the program. Everyone I came in contact there was very friendly and helpful, which made paying $200 for 10 minutes of work a little better. I also bought the scan tool for $200 so I didn't have to pay them $200 for literally 30 seconds of labor to turn the oil light off.

·
Registered
2018 Ghibli SQ4
1 Posts

PM or email (see email in signature) me the last 6 digits of your VIN# and I will take car of the issue for you. We have 100% of all Ferrari, Maserati, Lambo and BMW parts, big and small, shipped worldwide. Not only do we offer the entire OEM parts lineup but we have
I

PM or email (see email in signature) me the last 6 digits of your VIN# and I will take car of the issue for you. We have 100% of all Ferrari, Maserati, Lambo and BMW parts, big and small, shipped worldwide. Not only do we offer the entire OEM parts lineup but we have a large line of aftermarket / performance upgrades as well.
Do you still have an oem key fob available? Mine is 2018 ghibli SQ4.

·
Registered
2018 Maserati Ghibli SQ4
38 Posts
I have my second (spare) key in a safe protected by a live cobra and a 9mm. It's worth more than my 2011 Audi A4.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts