Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have confirmed that this option is dual pane glass with laminated sheet in between. I am going to have to open the windows to hear the exhaust anyway so I ordered this option. Does anyone have any experience with laminated glass......noise reduction? tinting? Thanks!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Well ALL modern cars utilize laminated glass (aka auto glass). It's a safety feature that prevents shattering and shards -- it keeps the broken glass sandwiched between layers of clear plastic.

What Maserati offers as an option is called dual-pane glass, which is thicker than a normal auto glass and as the name indicates it has two panes of glass separated by a layer of plastic:

·
Registered
348 Posts
I never really considered the laminated glass. Is it supposed to help with noise reduction? It is also supposed to stop the glass from shattering when it gets broken. From reading online it seems like it should come on every vehicle not just as an option.

Laminated glass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It is for the purposes of isolating the interior mainly from sound and from colder or warmer weather. I opted without it because I wanted to hear the engine more. With it, the car will be more quiet like a Mercedes. It will also retain heat in the cabin when in very cold weather better as well as cold from the ac in very hot weather.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Maserati called it duel pane. But its the same laminated glass. The thickness of the glass however may vary. I considered this option prior to placing my order. Not sure how much attenuation for sound can be achieved. Asked the dealer for info on the db reduction compare to standard glass. No answer yet. Doubtful that it will make significant difference in sound reduction as the window only cover a small area of the surface. Sound can penetrate the cabin via doors, under-pan, floor, engine compartment and trunk etc. Hard to justify the price unless there is solid information.

Anyone has a Ghibli with this option? May be able to shed some light.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Laminated glass

My Ghibli has this feature, and it does dampen sound and ramp up the luxury feel, albeit in a subtle way. I can't comment on the value for the price because I went insane when I ordered the car, but this glass gives you a more isolated feel, separate from the rest of the world. (That's good, as everyone around me seems so wildly animated and overly excited as I cruise past.)

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all. I originally thought i did not want the laminated glass to hear the exhaust note better but as it will already be muted with the windows up as has been reported you will have to have the windows open anyway to really hear the exhaust. I am trying create two distinct personalities Luxury and Sports car so I am getting skyhook and decided to get the laminated glass to add to the luxury side of the equation. I had already bought almost every option any way so what the ****!!! Just thought I would start by buyers remorse early and see what you guys thought and if anyone had experience with the option.

I actually had a chevy with a similar feature (Malibu) and it did seem to make the car quieter.............yes a chevy!! not sure if they are still doing it on that model.............

·
Registered
277 Posts
great info in here

i never fully understood what the laminated glass was.

i though they actually just applied a film on the glass.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanks all. I originally thought i did not want the laminated glass to hear the exhaust note better but as it will already be muted with the windows up as has been reported you will have to have the windows open anyway to really hear the exhaust. I am trying create two distinct personalities Luxury and Sports car so I am getting skyhook and decided to get the laminated glass to add to the luxury side of the equation. I had already bought almost every option any way so what the ****!!! Just thought I would start by buyers remorse early and see what you guys thought and if anyone had experience with the option.

I actually had a chevy with a similar feature (Malibu) and it did seem to make the car quieter.............yes a chevy!! not sure if they are still doing it on that model.............
I have the car now 1 day with laminated glass and there is no negative influence to hear the exhaust note at all.

·
Registered
284 Posts
they should have combined this with the use of acoustic windshield technology, how amazing would that be?
any way to cut down on wind noise is a big plus

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ratti that is what I thought but Luciano states no reduction on exhaust note (assume sports note) therefore no sound reduction...or the exhaust note DB range is higher than is filtered by the laminated glass..does this make sense?

·
Registered
80 Posts
There is a considerable noise reduction but not for the engine. With open or closed window you hear the engine with practically no difference. But the outside noise is reduced. My wife was speaking with me - engine off- 1m (3 feet) outside the car and I couldn't understand one word. In the city the street noise is very reduced. I received Thursday from my dealer a print fresh book "Maserati Ghibli'' (hard cover) where it is written that "the double laminated glasses increase the climate- and noise- comfort in the inside without reducing the typical sound of the engine" - and of course the exhaust note.

·
Registered
348 Posts
There is a considerable noise reduction but not for the engine. With open or closed window you hear the engine with practically no difference. But the outside noise is reduced. My wife was speaking with me - engine off- 1m (3 feet) outside the car and I couldn't understand one word. In the city the street noise is very reduced. I received Thursday from my dealer a print fresh book "Maserati Ghibli'' (hard cover) where it is written that "the double laminated glasses increase the climate- and noise- comfort in the inside without reducing the typical sound of the engine" - and of course the exhaust note.
Isn't this used in most MB, BMW and Audi's and other higher-end cars?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts