Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just got my brand new Ghibli yesterday and drove at night for the first time today. Having the new Full-LED w/ anti-glare that equips MY 2018, and obviously there's something not working properly as I got many flashes by other cars obviously getting a huge glare from my beams. I get both the green auto-headlights logo and the blue high beam logo and everything seems to be set properly, though. No orange logo signaling the system would need servicing, but definitely there's something wrong going on.

Before I bring the Ghibli back to the dealer to investigate if there's some malfunction, I'd like to check something: In the MTC+ there's this option about switching beams when driving on right-side countries (e.g. the US) vs left-side (e.g. the UK), but I find neither the label of that option nor its description in the manual explicit IMHO, so, which is which? When driving ion a right-side country, should I have this option checked or unchecked?

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Well, I reply to myself, for the record.

In absence of any answer, I contacted my dealer here and had them check the Ghibli out yesterday (they were very reactive, took the car in in the morning and turned it back at noon). The new Full LED system is such that there is both an electronic controller and some mechanical means to set the lamps positions and heigths (none of this being accessible to the "average" user, the whole thing being automated). In my case, they say that the electronic controller is all good but that the mechanical setting was wrong (possibly something that was not properly set and tuned at manufacturing stage, and not tested before they delivered the car to me). They say that now everything should be fine. I won't have a chance to run a full-fledged test of all this at night out of town until next week-end, but first impressions seem to be positive. I will confirm whether the matter is fully solved later on.

Happy New Year to all.

PS : could a moderator change this post title to something like "Full LED system glaring incoming vehicles"? I can't find how to do that but I think it'd better reflect what the real issue was.

·
Administrator
2,624 Posts
Well, I reply to myself, for the record.

PS : could a moderator change this post title to something like "Full LED system glaring incoming vehicles"? I can't find how to do that but I think it'd better reflect what the real issue was.
Done :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks BeerGuy!:)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just chiming in here to let you know that the matter is solved. The new mechanical setting that the dealership implemented works perfectly, I had the chance to test it extensiveley these past days while driving at night on various kinds of roads.

·
Administrator
2,624 Posts
Glad to hear this was quickly fixed for you by dealer.
Picture and description of car looks really nice and sporty with that color combination.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks BeerGuy, indeed it is very nice. I wait somewhat longer, before I publish on the forum a review of this car with all my views on it, but in a nutshell, first impressions are very positive in almost all aspects (including exterior and interior looks).

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Just got a new 2018 SQ4 GranLusso. Had the same issue with the LED headlights. The low beams were ok but the high beams were way too high. There is a manual adjustment, white screw on top by the headlamp that will adjust the headlamps (both low beam and high beam at same time) up and down. Fixed the issue right away. There is another white screw adjustment on the side of the lamp unit but I’m not sure what that one adjusts and since I fixed the problem I didn’t mess with it. I’m still getting used to the LED lights. Feels like there are dim areas in the light array on the road that seems weird but maybe I need to get used to the LED lights.

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
Hi have my Ghibli MY2019 but same LED and everything as 2018 and got the same problem

Since the 1st night, I did not see the system really working as per my BMW M550d, and should be very similar.
I was disappointed, also, the lights were far too high, I had cars coming making me signs with high beams, and I could not do anything
So under the hood, I saw 3 white screws to adjust the lights , 1st thing I put them low, to do not disturb anyone anymore and I see pretty well the road - the LED makes really a Daylight unbelievable

so I try and while driving, I had drivers making me again high beam signs, so ok, not good, also I saw like the passenger side light was all the way turn to my side.. kind bizarre ( lights crossing )

There are 3 screws per light, don't touch the one with a red tap on it, only 2 screws in each lamp can be adjusted and they are easily visible.

if you do well your adjustments ( which are a catastrophe when you receive your car) you will get similar as this video
here what happen in my BMW M550D

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
a video after adjusting my LEDs ( adjusted to the maximum low and recenter the Flux of light )
In full matrix mode the car detects the towns etc, so in the countryside, it will be on Highbeams mostly all the time, and the Matrix system will make sure to do not disturb anyone, by creating progressive " black spots" there is no ON OFF anymore the diming is progressive and directional it follows the car or motorbike even if they are moving left right in front of you

here in my car now

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Geoffrey. Thanks for the information. I see the 3 white plastic philips head screws on the passener side, one had a red cap in it. The drivers side also has the same 3 screws. I attached pictures of the 3 passenger screws (left side when looking from front). The first one I think is the elevation of the lights but I do not know what the others control. Can you provide any help on what each screw controls? I like how bright the lights are but the alignment seems off.

Any information would be very appreciated.

Peter

Attachments

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
Ok I did a confusion as I wanted to say that I adjusted 3 positions on my car but we can adjust 4 positions, I did not need to adjust screw 1 on the driver side the flux was going straight in front of me on his side well aligned.

as I said my lights were a total disaster when I received the car, adjusted too much high ( at the legal limit) and the mechanics that don't have a clue about the Matrix system, they adjusted the high beams crossing each other to have a very clear point at the center on the road and this is wrong.
so nothing was obviously working properly, and I understand some people saying that the HID of their new Giulia is better then the LED of the Ghibli.. of course in true they are wrong, the LED with matrix properly adjusted kills the HID forever.

OK let's start.

I put pictures of my car, exactly the same as yours, one name driver side and one named passenger side, it is easier for everyone to follow.

Only adjust number 1 and 2 white screws. the 3rd one with a red cap on it don't touch it, this is what gives the order of switching diming the LEDS
example when the matrix detects a car coming on the right side of the street, he knows that LED 1 will slow down to create a black spot then 2 then 3 then 4 led,. if we touch that you can revert the order which will be bad, it will start by LED number 4 then 3 then 2 and the car passing is having full head light on him.
so Don't touch that one.

now, at home in your garden or in a parking where you can have a wall in front of you, park the car at around the same distance as the size of your car ( 5m) put your lights on and disconnected in the MTC+ the full automatic light system. ( the car must be in horizontal place )

leave the lights on low beam ( normal position) then open the hood and take a screw drive, then start by the passenger side and by screw number one
if you turn one side the flux of the light in the wall goes up, if you turn the other way goes down, so turn it very gentle, the screws are very fragile, take your time.
I personally adjusted my low beam to the lowest as possible, I was fed up having other drivers making me high beam on the face because they were not happy with my lights settings.
close the hood and go for a drive, now that the lights are down, you can see on the street better how they are set, one crossing another or the right side is too much turn to the right side and not to the street in front of you etc.. try driving on low beam a bit and specially on High Beam, first on manual mode, and also use the full automatic mode.

depending on what you see if you are not happy, go back to the wall put the high beam on manual mode ( deactivate the full automatic) open the hood and start by adjusting always passenger side, screw number 2, be patient and gentle, turn to one side and you will see a distinct "separation" between the flux of both lights, like the brightness of the right light, is separating from the left light) so it means that with that screw number 2 you can either turn the flux to the right or to the left if you go too much to one side, it will cross the other light flux so not good, or if you go to much the other side the light will just illuminate the side of the road
So the first thing to do is separate them both, so adjust them a bit turning them to the side of the road of both sides, have a drive and check how it looks, then repeat the operation till you re-center them slowly more to the road

when they are quite good adjusted you will see on the wall a big scare in left side ( flux of the left light) a big scare on the right side (flux of the right light) and a smaller square doing the middle between, means left and right are separated and can now be fully used by the matrix.

you may need to drive a few times that's for sure, and adjusting even when you put the flux of the lights all the way down, sometimes one light don't go as much as the other, no problem don't force, just go for a drive come back to the wall and adjust it and then you can align them correctly

Hope to help with it

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Geoffrey, thanks so much for the detailed descriptions. Very helpful. I will try this out to see if I can fix some of the issues I’m seeing. BTW, my automatic high-beam never seems to correct with oncoming cars so I really cannot use it. It may be an alignment issue but unsure. Again...thanks for the pictures and diagrams.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I just got my brand new Ghibli yesterday and drove at night for the first time today. Having the new Full-LED w/ anti-glare that equips MY 2018, and obviously there's something not working properly as I got many flashes by other cars obviously getting a huge glare from my beams. I get both the green auto-headlights logo and the blue high beam logo and everything seems to be set properly, though. No orange logo signaling the system would need servicing, but definitely there's something wrong going on.

Before I bring the Ghibli back to the dealer to investigate if there's some malfunction, I'd like to check something: In the MTC+ there's this option about switching beams when driving on right-side countries (e.g. the US) vs left-side (e.g. the UK), but I find neither the label of that option nor its description in the manual explicit IMHO, so, which is which? When driving ion a right-side country, should I have this option checked or unchecked?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Maserati sent out a circular ref: Safety recall 387 - Headlight Adjustment, on the 11th November 2019.

Yours may be one of the limited number that requires checking, best to contact Maserati direct and check with your reg and vin.
Hope this helps. Di.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Maserati sent out a circular ref: Safety recall 387 - Headlight Adjustment, on the 11th November 2019.

Yours may be one of the limited number that requires checking, best to contact Maserati direct and check with your reg and vin.
Hope this helps. Di.
Di Bach, thanks, yeah, I got that one (long after my problem had been solved by the dealer manually adjusting things, as I described above too).

So went back to the dealer and, guess what, got the car back all screwed up (no pun intended). Had to go back again (2 times actually), so that they finally adjust it the way it should (back to what it was after 1st adjustment right after I had received my car, but before this stupid Safety Recall), after having insisted that they don't follow the specs of that Safety Recall (which will have you blind everyone else), but trust their own eyes!!! The mechanic had to take the car out at night and try it for himself, want back and said "well, actually you're right!" (thanks...). So, back to normal now. I love this car, I love this brand and I love this manufacturer, but this specific little one is one for which they've got it all wrong. However, one properly set up, thses headlights are fantastic.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Do any of you who have the LED headlights know whether or not your headlights adjust at startup? As in adjusting their beam pattern down, in, out, and back up to their resting state?

Also, do these headlights angle into curves as you drive down the road? My Ghibli (US model) does not do any of this. I know the matrix feature is disabled for the US, but I would assume the other features would and should still work? I currently have a quattroporte loaner with the LED headlights and they seem to function as expected, adjusting at startup and bending their beam pattern around curves.

Could there be an issue with my car, or do ghiblis really not do this even though the Quattroporte and Levante, along with the AFS xenon headlights, do…?

Trying to get info before I bring it up to the dealer while my car is there, and would rather know the answer before they spew any false narratives to avoid looking into it for me.

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
MESSAGE CORRECTED
The LED MATRIX lights have the main lights ( 1st square of lights) adjusting level when you start the car at night for example, it goes down and up centered but nothing else other cars do down quite up and down to center it , plus left right etc

And when you turn you should see the light flux going to the side it is very powerful if driving slowly or stopped turning the steering wheel and reduces with the speed or weather conditions
Unfortunately, most of it is adjusted automatically by the Matrix system
You can see on my video the light cornering and more if you are at very low speed to see if there is anyone on the side
This is not done by the side lamps as the old HID Ghibli lamps but by one small square LED between the 3rd and 4th LED they call Binding Light or something like that

·
Registered
39 Posts
Here you can see the matrix LED working
If it helps
Is that just for the Ghibli? Because I have a Quattroporte loaner right now with the LED headlights, and they do in fact move. I can post a video of it if that helps. They adjust at startup, and the LED projector housing angles left and right through turns. In the US, we do not have the matrix function as it isn’t legal here. I’m assuming because of this, the LED lights for the US market are supposed to adjust in this manner. I’m not sure if you are also in the US or not. At least this is how they operate on the quattroporte, but I couldn’t imagine they would operate differently than the Ghibli?

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
I CORRECT this answer as I am so used to my other cars ( the Aston and the Jaguar ) that have all these HID ( xenon ) headlights moving up down left to right etc that I don't pay attention anymore and @Mjewett following your message I went in my garage and started the Ghibli, this time paying attention to the headlights and YES they move down and up, honestly I never realized or I never really pay attention to it, they are soo fixed when you drive compared to the Aston or Jaguar where you see them adjusting all the time the level depending on how the car move, I don't see that in the Ghibli besides the Matrix doing the job

So GUYS apologize for my mistake

here are pictures I just did to show the matrix 4 square and the cornering LED that goes progressively quite far to the sides depending on the speed, or if you stop and start turning the wheel

the small round between the 3 and last square LED
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Hood Automotive lighting

1 - 20 of 22 Posts