Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two weeks ago I bought a racechip RS. I was VERY impressed. So impressed I decided to end the debate once and for all, at least in my mind.

I just pulled the full JB4 kit complete with Boost control module. I will be scheduling some dyno time in the coming weeks to run them side by side.

Cool thing is the way the harness on the racechip is designed it is very easy to remove the chip or brain part and insert a plug that essentially puts it back to stock without removing the harness. This allowed me to plug the JB4 harness into the Racechip harness, daisy chaining the plugs.

When dyno day comes I will be able to switch between systems quickly without having to fight with " that" sensor we all dread.

Ill answer butt dyno questions about the RS Racechip, I drove it for two weeks and feel like I know it. After I have had some time to play with the jb4 Ill report back on it.

I all honesty, I expect alot more from the JB4 , simply because of the Boost Control Module. But I expect maps 1 -3 to be very close to the Racechip. This is my prediction but we will soon see for sure.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
so you try the jb4 bcm combo yet? Also you should really use higher octane fuel (93+) on anything map2 or higher. i say this because i live in socal and the highest here is 91 but there is VP race gas 101 for still $9.99 a gallon in Newport Beach. If you go to there forum you can send in some logs (3rd gear pulls 2K rpm - redline shift then slow to a stop) and they will evaluate and help you go further. Another benefit of the jb4 is it can work together with there WMI kit so you dont need an extra controller. Also you can use some e85 and go reasonably fast ona budget.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After less than 300 miles of 93 octane mixed with 4 gallons of e85 running map 5 on the Jb4 it threw a code of p0244, I wont go into what happened yet as I am waiting for tech support to advise me but its running like crap backfiring and surging on map 5 and map 2. It started at 1/4 tank left. I just refilled with st 93 and so far its good but no mater how fast it is,, no matter how fancy it is, if it throws codes and doesn't work it doesn't work.

I promise I will post logs, times , dyno and trouble codes I just need time to see whats fair or not. And preferably post solutions to the problems I am having. So far the map 5 on jb4 is stronger but causes codes map 6 on race. Chip is set and forget solid. No trouble

·
Registered
29 Posts
After less than 300 miles of 93 octane mixed with 4 gallons of e85 running map 5 on the Jb4 it threw a code of p0244, I wont go into what happened yet as I am waiting for tech support to advise me but its running like crap backfiring and surging on map 5 and map 2. It started at 1/4 tank left. I just refilled with st 93 and so far its good but no mater how fast it is,, no matter how fancy it is, if it throws codes and doesn't work it doesn't work.

I promise I will post logs, times , dyno and trouble codes I just need time to see whats fair or not. And preferably post solutions to the problems I am having. So far the map 5 on jb4 is stronger but causes codes map 6 on race. Chip is set and forget solid. No trouble
Ok just know that code relates to that wastegate solenoid you hooked the bcm up to. hope it all works out cant wait to hear more about your results.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As you can Imagine while you are testing one you cannot test the other so it takes a while.

This is what I know so far.

1) racechip GTS
For plug and play dependable power with no cells, backfires popping through shifts the Race Chip is the winner.
Install of both may be the same but the Race Chip wins with its plug that bypasses the unit when its time to get smog tested. Jb4 has to be uninstalled RC has to be unplugged
Racechip max setting does NOT require mixing 30% e85 with 93 octane.
Racechip max setting is compatible to map 5 in Jb4.
Bluetooth control is only $ 59 more and the app is free.
Trouble free power, easy connection, easy removal. Basic, simple control app.

2) JB4
cheaper unless you find the GTS on sale.
I have had problems with running map 5, popping durring shits , some no boost times, jerking with hesitation some cells. All random with no real reason for happening . Only in Map 5 perfect logs
Maps 1 and 2 were trouble free but I didn't spend much time with them because of the lack of power.
Map 6 allows you to build a custom map and this is what I am using. I am getting incredible power out of it, and it appears very dependable with no pops or cells. I love it and it is much stronger than the gts.
Jb4 offers more flexibility to custom taylor the tune. They will help you get there.
Customer support is PHENOMENAL!
I like the gauges, I didn't think I would but I do. So much so I did a custom setup so I can monitor it.

I do believe the problems I did experience were from the E30 mix. Its my guess that the ghibli doesn't like it and runs best with 1.5 gallons or less of e85 and 93.

So far thats where I am at. Ill keep reporting in. But as of the last month the gts has been unplugged.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
As you can Imagine while you are testing one you cannot test the other so it takes a while.

This is what I know so far.

1) racechip GTS
For plug and play dependable power with no cells, backfires popping through shifts the Race Chip is the winner.
Install of both may be the same but the Race Chip wins with its plug that bypasses the unit when its time to get smog tested. Jb4 has to be uninstalled RC has to be unplugged
Racechip max setting does NOT require mixing 30% e85 with 93 octane.
Racechip max setting is compatible to map 5 in Jb4.
Bluetooth control is only $ 59 more and the app is free.
Trouble free power, easy connection, easy removal. Basic, simple control app.

2) JB4
cheaper unless you find the GTS on sale.
I have had problems with running map 5, popping durring shits , some no boost times, jerking with hesitation some cells. All random with no real reason for happening . Only in Map 5 perfect logs
Maps 1 and 2 were trouble free but I didn't spend much time with them because of the lack of power.
Map 6 allows you to build a custom map and this is what I am using. I am getting incredible power out of it, and it appears very dependable with no pops or cells. I love it and it is much stronger than the gts.
Jb4 offers more flexibility to custom taylor the tune. They will help you get there.
Customer support is PHENOMENAL!
I like the gauges, I didn't think I would but I do. So much so I did a custom setup so I can monitor it.

I do believe the problems I did experience were from the E30 mix. Its my guess that the ghibli doesn't like it and runs best with 1.5 gallons or less of e85 and 93.

So far thats where I am at. Ill keep reporting in. But as of the last month the gts has been unplugged.
thanjs for the update,

how does your iPad stay up there?
Also do you mind sharing the custom map you made and also the specs of your car?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I typed up a long post in the DIY yesterday of my tablet trick and for some reason it got deleted without anyone telling me why.

Ill do a break down again here;
A 10" tablet perfectly covers the Ghibli screen. I live in Houston and it takes a minimum of an hour to get from Houston To Houston. I HATE wired andriod auto. I use my USB port for a thumb drive loaded with music so if I need to plug in the phone I loose my jam.

So I took a 10" tablet , loaded it with ALL my favorite apps like Waze, Jb4, Spotify, an EQ Booster, and even a movie and Tv app called kodi that I run a build on. This allows my wife and kid to watch games when were traveling. or me to monitor my car when making runs or testing new maps. Tablet is Bluetooth to the car so sounds play through it. music..tv whatever just select the source.

I used 2 magnetic cell phone holders on each side of the screen, if you get a wider tablet you can use two of the magnetic holders that clip into the air vents! I know its not very pleasing to look at so I may look for a bigger tablet now that I see how much I like the setup. By placing the magnets on the top of the screen allows me to flip the tablet over and use both screens.

This is how it works for me.
In town the tablet stays in its bag in the net behind the seat or between the seat and the console. I used the spare magnets in the two kits and placed one on my cell phone. So I throw my note 20 ultra up there on one of the mounts because it doesn't fit anywhere else but in the console,. So the mounts have use when the table is not in use. ( my wife throws her phone up too sometimes, she has magnetic clips in her car)

when I want the jb4 I just take it out , turn it on, connect and go. I place it in either configuration up or down

when traveling I have several options. My phone always has the wireless hotspot turned ON. and the tablets WIFI is set to automatically connect to it. I usually plug the phone to a cigarette lighter charger inside the console so it stays charged,
Now I can:
Use the tablet for Waze while listening to my music on the front USB port.
Put a movie or a game playing for my wife and kid on the tablet
run jb4
Use the android auto by plugging in the phone and running waze on the ghibli screen while anything else is on the tablet screen including using podcast or any other app that is not on android auto.

I love the setup but I don't like the look of the mounts. I may see about finding a bigger tablet so I get rid of them and use vent clips but then I may not be able to flip it and use two screens. which is the real prize for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts