Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bowers and Wilkins are pioneers in audio engineering and that has been fully demonstrated inside the Ghibli. Aluminum dome tweeters for precise treble and kevlar mid range cones for clear voice bands all acoustically optimized specifically to the Ghibli cabin. Many hours of critical listening and tuning of optimal locations went into ensuring the Ghiblis sound system is the perfect peer for the Maserati exhaust note, your choice of what you want to listen to.

15 speakers and 1280 watts of power coupled to the Quantum Logic intelligent head that allocates sound for optimal sound, how many of you will be enticed by the supercharged sound system?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VffP5fiGQY

·
Registered
277 Posts
I will be trying out the B&W system and I'll see if it's worth it.

Anyone heard it yet? Any opinions?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have a B&W 1200W system in my Jaguar XF. It is one of the best sound systems I've heard in a car. Not sure if it is the same one in the Ghibli, or if it sounds the same but in the Jag at least, it's top notch.

·
Registered
95 Posts
good to know. thanks for your opinion.
All this is subjective of course, the B&W system in the Jaguar costs about 3,000 EUR. It is well worth the money, and imo it's better than the B&O equivalent in Mercs/Audis etc which costs 50% more.

·
Registered
47 Posts
What do you think, it's a big plus for the resell to have the B&W system or this option will lost value like any other option ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was expecting great sound, but in the pre-production car I sat in at the local dealership, the sound was very poor - quite 'thin' and the speakers could not handle the bass. Even the dealer was shocked at the poor sound quality. Based on this I will not upgrade, but I will reserve judgement until I hear it again in a regular production car.

·
Registered
95 Posts
What do you think, it's a big plus for the resell to have the B&W system or this option will lost value like any other option ?
Imo yes, but not the full value of it. As a rule (in my experience at least) high priced options that don't have a direct effect on how the car drives don't add much value when the time comes to sell the car.

Exceptions are for example BMW's adaptive drive, or Porsche's PDCC (especially in Cayennes)

·
Registered
95 Posts
I was expecting great sound, but in the pre-production car I sat in at the local dealership, the sound was very poor - quite 'thin' and the speakers could not handle the bass. Even the dealer was shocked at the poor sound quality. Based on this I will not upgrade, but I will reserve judgement until I hear it again in a regular production car.
Are you sure it was the B&W sound system? Afaik there are 3 sound systems available in the Ghibli, a base one, a premium upgrade and the top B&W. I assure you that in my XF the bass is an absolute blast, it's a strong point of the system imo.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a Ghibli S - new in March 2014 with the B&W sound system - I am really disappointed in the sound to be honest. Both Maserati and B&W are looking into this but not ver quickly. I also doubt the sub woofer is made from Rohacell as per the brochure - looks like simple paper cone to me.
I am hoping to compare to another Ghibli, or QP with the B&W system this week in the Egham showroom.
To me the system is flat - poor bass - not what I was expecting from a £ 3,500 option on top of the base system.
Would be interested to hear from others with the B&W system - maybe I have a technical issue with mine, or its just not as good as I wanted.
What source do people get the best sound from ? ( CD / iPod / DAB ?? )

·
Registered
216 Posts
Every option will have almost no value in reselling your car.
Only motor options (S / Q4) will have a value. All the rest ist almost nothing.
I have a base sound system and this is ok. I cannot imagine what would be better, or what could be magic to cost so much.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Every option will have almost no value in reselling your car.
Only motor options (S / Q4) will have a value. All the rest ist almost nothing.
I have a base sound system and this is ok. I cannot imagine what would be better, or what could be magic to cost so much.
Hm maybe not worth its price but base and premium are just garbage, for me the B&W was a must have because i'm pretty addicted to good sound.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I had an XF with B & W sound...was fantastic, plenty base & very rich.
Now have Premium & not a patch on it.
Very disappointing for such a quality car.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have a Ghibli S - new in March 2014 with the B&W sound system - I am really disappointed in the sound to be honest. Both Maserati and B&W are looking into this but not ver quickly. I also doubt the sub woofer is made from Rohacell as per the brochure - looks like simple paper cone to me.
I am hoping to compare to another Ghibli, or QP with the B&W system this week in the Egham showroom.
To me the system is flat - poor bass - not what I was expecting from a £ 3,500 option on top of the base system.
Would be interested to hear from others with the B&W system - maybe I have a technical issue with mine, or its just not as good as I wanted.
What source do people get the best sound from ? ( CD / iPod / DAB ?? )
@coventru ghibli : I listened to base, premium and
B&W back to back in the ghibli during a test drive.
The systems get better as you pay more but not de the cost being asked.

I was very disappointed with the B&W. I was expecting it to be magical.

I am now planning to opt for the base system and upgrade thereafter.

Sorry you have not got what you paid for and hope they are doing something about this?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had an XF with B & W sound...was fantastic, plenty base & very rich.
Now have Premium & not a patch on it.
Very disappointing for such a quality car.

I as well. An XFR with B&W. The an XFR with Meridian Audio (A clear step down). I now have premium sound, as I couldn't swing that much for the B&W "upgrade". I should have done it because nothing can be worse than this premium sound. I did add a subwoofer system to it and that has made is passable, esp for bluetooth. The JL Hi end sub cost $1700, so in the end probably a wash.

·
Registered
4 Posts
@coventru ghibli : I listened to base, premium and
B&W back to back in the ghibli during a test drive.
The systems get better as you pay more but not de the cost being asked.

I was very disappointed with the B&W. I was expecting it to be magical.

I am now planning to opt for the base system and upgrade thereafter.

Sorry you have not got what you paid for and hope they are doing something about this?
Thanks ghiblimusic - We did a comparison today at the UK Egham showroom with another stock car and my car and found my system was well below par in Comparison - especially on DAB where the volume output was significantly lower at the same settings, and the Bass was far less responsive and punchy. The problem was less evident using SACD/ CD / iPOD. Maserati and B&W are now going to resolve for me as they accept there is a technical issue - I imagine its an amplification problem. The system in the stock car sounded very good so I am sure they will now fix for me - I engaged B&W engineers directly also and the have been very helpful. Like you I did expect some magic from the system but to be honest the other car we listened to was very good - we had both cars next to each other and using digital radio it was easy to do a direct compare. For example with the good system at 18 volume my car had to be above 26 to even get near the volume, and still the Bass was lacking in comparison.

·
Registered
278 Posts
All this is subjective of course, the B&W system in the Jaguar costs about 3,000 EUR. It is well worth the money, and imo it's better than the B&O equivalent in Mercs/Audis etc which costs 50% more.
I don't share your opinion, I have an S4 and the B&O really is perfect! I've tested an S6 and the B&O was the best car soundsytem I've heard in my life but the price was crazy: about 7500€.

About the Ghibli, the B&w is good and actually the only option if you want to have a good sound system its far from perfect but its good. I personally think you created the B&w for other cars and just fitted it in a Ghibli, for B&O its different they make it for every car personally. Surely don't take the premium soundsystem just choose between standard and b&w for your ghibli.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts